Author Topic: MTL July - Business Car Roof  (Read 2234 times)

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
MTL July - Business Car Roof
« on: June 29, 2016, 11:58:49 PM »
http://blwnscale.com/mt-new.htm

Of note:   undec business car,  3 pack of balloon roofs

Still using CSX YN2  "loco blue" for boxcars, unfortunately...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 02:24:54 AM by GaryHinshaw »

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
Re: MTL July - Business Car Roof
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 01:58:42 AM »
Noticed that they are also finally offering undecorated Business Car models for $21.25 retail, Item #144 00 701.  This may be an opportunity for some to finally add some business cars to their fleet of passenger equipment, though it is not actually based on a specific prototype.  Previously they have only been available through Lowell Smith.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +131
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 12:08:54 PM »

Noticed that they are also finally offering undecorated Business Car models for $21.25 retail, Item #144 00 701.  This may be an opportunity for some to finally add some business cars to their fleet of passenger equipment, though it is not actually based on a specific prototype.  Previously they have only been available through Lowell Smith.

Are the business cars close to anything current?  I'm thinking of the NS OCS cars.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Ngineer

• Crew
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 12:13:10 PM »
They are offering the 10-1-2 and 12-1 heavyweight sleeper Cars in Tuscan red.

Does Microscale offer decals for turning these models into cars used by PRR? Does anybody know the correct order number?

The runners pack for the PRR is quite disappointing as I was hoping for a three car runners pack with the paired window coach. Just like they did with the 10-1-2 and 12-1.

It would be easier on my wallet, too. As always, YMMV.

Javier

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2320
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 01:16:01 PM »
+1
This release makes me so sad that they're still using that awful 50' boxcar model. That Berlin Mills car is beautiful, but those cars look so dorky when sitting anywhere near cars of the proper proportions.

jmlaboda

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 02:43:59 PM »
Are the business cars close to anything current?

No.  Not even close.

I hate that this is true... a little research could have provided them with an idea on how to do them right (there are common detail that could have been used to make the cars look at least half-way decent without following a specific prototype), and the so-called "Ferdinand Magellan" heavyweight is the same way... way off from common practices that were used by the railroads in creating their business car fleet.

Sad really...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 03:10:09 PM by jmlaboda »

chicken45

• Crew
  • The guy who made DKS pee that one time.
  • Respect: +699
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 03:04:48 PM »
No.  Not even close.

I hate that this is true... a little research could have provided them with an idea on how to do them right (there are common detail that could have been used to make the cars look at least half-way decent without following a specific prototype, and the so-called "Ferdinand Magellan" heavyweight is the same way... way off from common practices that were used by the railroads in creating their business car fleet.

Sad really...

Can you go in to detail, Jerry? I'd love to know those sorts of things.
Josh "John" Surkosky
Darth Vader of Penn State
PRRT&HS Member
Bass Trombone Enthusiast
Bearded Dynamo
Kentucky Colonel

The Pig 
The pig, if I am not mistaken;
Supplies us sausage, ham, and bacon.
Let others say his heart is big—
I call it stupid of the pig.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +270
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 04:31:18 PM »
I note that on the BLW site, the photos of the diner and business car are incorrectly labeled. 

The business car appears to be a smooth side (ie, no rivets) unless my tired old eyes are deceiving me.  There were, of course, cars like that.  The windows on the side shown look like they might be appropriate for some rebuilt parlor cars, but I assume this body is the same as the one used by Lowell Smith for his generic business cars, and if so, pattern on the other side will be different. So it would take some cutting and pasting to come up with a modernized parlor obs.

I think it is an interesting car with some possibilities for kit bashing into other modernized cars.

This one is a balancing act for me.  I agree with Jerry that it would be nice to see more research done and accurate models produced.  On the other hand, at $21.95, a "generic" car does not bother me the way it would if it was $60.
Tom D.

"The difference between the difficult and the impossible is that doing the impossible is usually more fun." (my college design professor Russell Whaley)

Dave V

• Crew
  • The Route of the Galloping Goose
  • Respect: +3975
    • Dave Vollmer's N Scale Pennsy
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 04:51:18 PM »
Looks railroady enough for me...   :D
Silver San Juan Scenic Line

Member SlimRail Modular Colorado Narrow Gauge
http://www.slimrail.net/

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 06:31:55 PM »
What I would like to know is will the "balloon" roof work on the other heavyweights? Does anybody know?
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 07:16:59 PM »
From looking at it, not without modification.   The platform end is different from the vestibule end.  You could probably splice two roofs together to make one that would fit one of the other Micro-Trains heavyweights.

George
George

NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

jmlaboda

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 08:07:32 PM »
The business car appears to be a smooth side (ie, no rivets) unless my tired old eyes are deceiving me.

No rivets to count...

What I would like to know is will the "balloon" roof work on the other heavyweights? Does anybody know?

Only the observation car as molded but it may be possible to splice two halves to create two ends for the parlor car as well.  Other cars have a narrower clerestory so these roofs will not work except that the ends be changed to match.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +1229
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 08:48:13 PM »
+2

@Catt Keystone Details will be offering some for the MT cars, all of them, very, very soon.

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 09:28:44 PM »
 @ Lemosteam
  How about a version for the Bachmann shorties?  :D
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

jmlaboda

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 03:14:07 PM »
+2
Can you go in to detail, Jerry? I'd love to know those sorts of things.

Most Business Cars dating back to the late-1800s have several things in common which really isn't well defined on the MT model, that being that they were intended to be like a moving "Classy" hotel for railroad executives and wealthy individuals, quite often with fancy woodwork being found in nearly the entire car.  While there have been a small number of "Day" business cars that offered parlor seating and often included a dining room of some sort, the vast majority of business cars were broken up into sections with each serving an important purpose within their design.  When discussing these features it is always best to start at the rear of the car, which is, honestly, the most important room in use.

At the tail end of the car adjacent to the platform is the observation lounge which often had plush furnishings where the executive or individual would not only observe the right-of-way as the car travels along but also quite often would be used to entertain guests of the person the car is used by.  Often there would be individual chairs as well as a sofa (which could double as a crew member's sleeping birth) though exactly how such would be laid out really depended on who it was for.  Some cars had a fairly small observation room roughly 10' in length though most were more than 12'.

Next on most cars would be the bedrooms which could be as small as a typical Compartment (6' 2" in length) on some sleepers but could be rather large to provide for the comfort of the user.  On rare examples the dining room was adjacent to the observation room though most had the bedrooms adjacent to the observation room.  On later cars a bathroom for a bath or shower was often included for the passengers to use and on some cars the bedrooms themselves had individual or shared bathrooms with showers.

The dining room could vary in length but one thing remained constant, matching windows on the vast majority of the cars were used on both sides of the car, so as to provide for passengers' viewing pleasure while they eat.  A dining room would typically seat 8 or more passengers and would feature "China Hutches" for place settings and utensils.  Dining rooms could also serve to entertain guests.

Next would be a crew room (usually around 6' in length) that would feature an upper and lower birth for crew members and the kitchen, which typically was rather small but large enough to prepare great meals though size was not really a priority.  The kitchen and crew room typically would be adjacent to the front end of the car.

One thing I have found to be of interest in researching business cars is that things such as the observation lounge and the dining room remained fairly constant even from some of the earliest examples of business cars and private cars, with early open platform cars having the observation lounge on one end while the dining room would be at the other.  In between would be the kitchen, bedrooms and crew room.

The drawing below should help to display the various parts of business and private cars...

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 03:17:56 PM by jmlaboda »