Author Topic: Weekend Update 6/26/16  (Read 5938 times)

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +460
Re: Weekend Update 6/26/16
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2016, 11:12:13 PM »
I modified a Dremel Work Station ( drill press ) into a successful milling machine for use on a snack table while taking a dump , watching TV , or on the patio having a BBQ . More pictures in my Google Albums .https://goo.gl/photos/VEVZm6ViVnFEEugy8

my setup is IDENTICAL to this! I even have the same X/Y table. I love my setup. Although, my dremel finally completely gave up the ghost the other day, while making the last pass milling out a space for a decoder in this:
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2113
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2016, 02:44:05 AM »
Cool if you did one and I did one maybe Dremel will .

Richie Dost

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +460
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2016, 03:22:47 AM »
Cool if you did one and I did one maybe Dremel will .

That's how it usually goes right?
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2016, 05:59:25 AM »
Hmm, how much side pressure associated with milling metal will a Dremel take?
Otto K.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2113
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2016, 08:36:35 AM »
Hmm, how much side pressure associated with milling metal will a Dremel take?
Otto K.

A Dremel is pretty tough in all directions . The Dremel Work Station is not as rigid . However if you are bending the Dremel Work Station you more than likely biting off too much/fast . The slot and ledge I made in that Atlas Ore Car weight tool 25-20 passes at a slow advance rate . That weight is pretty dense stuff also . I have a bigger one in the basement , but you still have to take it easy or the bit will bind or break . If your are thinking " How It's Made " TV show and the super fast and big bite milling seen there , this is not that . I bought this Work Station even after reading the reviews because my holes were far from vertical . The complaints were mostly from people that complained about the plastic flex , and many found out that every screw needs to be checked . Many said that once the screws were adjusted and the ones that need to be tightened were done the machine worked much better for them .

So once I did and was very pleased with results as described above , I thought about a PIA I am dealing with . I am doing logging bunkhouses mounted on Archbar's . I need to recess a coupler pocket landing pad . Never turns out purdy using a hand held and chisels . So I looked at the drill press and asked myself , the Dremel is designed for sideways pressure , the drill press just needs a feed screw , xy table , and vice . 2 weeks or so later done , and those resin bunkhouses will be in for a mill .

I added some comments to some of those Iphone pictures for those interested .

Richie Dost

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8052
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2016, 12:57:00 PM »
+1
Been working on a scratch-built Penn Central painted enginehouse...

I'm sure the PC didn't paint any of their enginehouse's in PC green & white, but I wanted a building on the layout to scream PC.

On my pike, the PRR pulled the turntable and knocked down the roundhouse in '53 (the actual year they did pull the turntable and removed some of the stalls in their Olean engine terminal).

The PRR wanted an enginehouse and put up a corrugated metal structure (similar to the many oil & gas industry buildings that populated this part of the country in the 40's & 50's) which was repainted from PRR to PC colors in '69.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it. :)

Needless to say the project isn't finished, but I'm getting close.

I find that all entirely plausible. PC painted all sorts of stuff green...
http://conrailphotos.thecrhs.org/Images/LEMO-Interlockign-Tower

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8052
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2016, 01:00:00 PM »
It hasn't fallen off the radar, but for various reasons out of my control at the moment it's in limbo, so I would proceed with your rendition.  I'm personally in the same boat, whether to scratchbuild additional ones or wait until I can move forward on either a craftsman kit or injection molded.

I'm very curious to follow the NE-5 progress.
These are possibly my favorite CR cabooses: http://conrailphotos.thecrhs.org/ConrailEquipment/Cabooses/N8A-N8B
They're rebuilt NE-6s and NE-5s. I've tried doing one from Bryan's shell, but ran into some trouble.

If they're being done in 3D printing, I'd love for a version with the appropriate hole in the side and the sealed up windows.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2016, 03:47:28 PM »

Been working on a scratch-built Penn Central painted enginehouse...I'm sure the PC didn't paint any of their enginehouse's in PC green & white, but I wanted a building on the layout to scream PC.Needless to say the project isn't finished, but I'm getting close.

The windows are problematic...  To start, they're double-pane laid on their side, which is tres awkward for something that big and that high.  Should just be one-piece industrial type, with tilting insets for ventilation, and then probably lower mounted for pedestrian access - but too late for that. 

I know the BN painted all sorts of buildings in BN green and white, including enginehouses, but I recommend getting rid of the screaming white high window as not very prototypical, and maybe the door.  A white trimmed passenger door is a bit more understandable (though really still not necessary) since it's easier to paint and needs to be discernible as an egress point but I doubt, expect in the instance of a masonry structure, a different trim color would be used for windows as big and hard to reach as the side windows in the austere East or Rust Belt - too much extra $ to do. Painting it the structure color will hide the HO-ness of the windows too.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 12:19:27 AM by sirenwerks »
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

jmarley76

• Crew
  • Respect: +132
    • WNCRails
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2016, 04:16:37 PM »
Whoa - ^ ^ is that T-gauge text?  :trollface:

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4248
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2016, 06:05:31 PM »
These are possibly my favorite CR cabooses: http://conrailphotos.thecrhs.org/ConrailEquipment/Cabooses/N8A-N8B
They're rebuilt NE-6s and NE-5s. I've tried doing one from Bryan's shell, but ran into some trouble.

If they're being done in 3D printing, I'd love for a version with the appropriate hole in the side and the sealed up windows.

This one was scratchbuilt and cobbled together from various media, as opposed to my early ones that were resin shells to fit the Atlas NE-6 underbody.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Wlal13again

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2016, 09:13:51 PM »

yeah i could use 1 or 2 of them
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

rickb773

• Crew
  • Rickb773
  • Respect: +654
    • Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2016, 10:18:34 PM »
While in Mauch Chunk / Jim Thorpe PA to see the station (and miss the train) we stopped into the town’s museum. We got to watch a video on the area’s history. They claim to have started the industrial revolution in America. Evidently they used the area to provide coal for Philadelphia after the British cut off supplies in the Revolutionary War. Canals were used to get it to Philadelphia (and then the Lehigh Valley Railroad took over the chores). Initially a steep incline (they called themselves the Swiss Alps of America) got the coal down to the river.

The museum contains an N scale model railroad (non-running) of the area, railroadian items, period dresses and pianos, and models of the downtown station. Interesting $5 investment of time!