Author Topic: FedEx trailers are in stock now  (Read 2869 times)

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
FedEx trailers are in stock now
« on: June 22, 2016, 06:30:54 PM »
For example, @MBK

"Limit 2 per customer. No restock expected."

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +101
Re: FedEx trailers are in stock now
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 06:43:23 PM »
wallet not happy :D
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1109
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 06:46:50 PM »
Peterbilts too.

Jason

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 07:14:26 PM »
By now (after multiple sold-out releases) Trainworx (Pat) must know that there is a large demand for these products. Why don't they produce larger runs?  That would make more modelers happy and give Trainworx more profit.  Seems like a no-brainer to me. Unless Trainworks plans are to be like Micro-Trains with limited runs aimed towards the collectors and rarity.  For example, why only a run of 200 Bicentennial items?  They could have just as quickly sold 400, while leaving fewer disappointed modelers who didn't get a chance to get those items.
. . . 42 . . .

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +979
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 07:20:04 PM »
A moment of silence for everyone who needs these wallet's...  :D
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +647
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 07:59:16 PM »
By now (after multiple sold-out releases) Trainworx (Pat) must know that there is a large demand for these products. Why don't they produce larger runs?  That would make more modelers happy and give Trainworx more profit.  Seems like a no-brainer to me. Unless Trainworks plans are to be like Micro-Trains with limited runs aimed towards the collectors and rarity.  For example, why only a run of 200 Bicentennial items?  They could have just as quickly sold 400, while leaving fewer disappointed modelers who didn't get a chance to get those items.

More importantly, why do they always show up mid pay period?
Peter Pfotenhauer

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 08:37:15 PM »
Why don't they produce larger runs?

You'll have to ask Pat.  But I know he's got a great line-up of 53' trailer schemes in the queue that are also must-haves for me, so I'm going to pace myself.  I capped my FedEx order at 20 trailers.  :lol:

And with all the new pup trailers he's putting out, I'm putting a 3-unit TTRX spine set back on my top-5 freight car list.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 08:38:54 PM by GaryHinshaw »

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3054
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 08:49:03 PM »
Modern tractors need moved up in the queue  :D

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +289
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 08:51:38 PM »

Do you know the magic number for a production run that sits between selling out and excess stock?

Pat's just released 15 different pups and 19 different 53' trailers in to the market at what, maybe 1,000 each? If you can't find one of these, your purchasing methods need a review. In addition, I'm sure that in due course, Pat will re-run the popular schemes with more road numbers - I can't wait for more of the grey Fedex Intermodal trailers myself.

Clearly the Bicentennial items are meant to be a limited run and as a product with a different, or perhaps limited appeal, surely the niche schemes have a different risk profile than the regular releases. Considering the quick turn around from announcement to delivery, it's possible the additional 600 units were able to be tacked onto existing production and that was a limiting factor. We don't yet know if the 200 of each will sell out. Maybe Pat knows 200 is the magic number.

A guessed production run of 35,000 trailers (and how many trucks to go with them) seems like a good size to me and there are so many schemes to get through on these trailers, buyer fatigue could also become a risk. I'm sure Pat has made decisions in his best interests, with the pre-order and sales data he has. Maybe this run is already larger than the sold out UPS run? It's too early to tell whether these will be scarce at the retail level.....
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 11:02:45 PM »

Clearly the Bicentennial items are meant to be a limited run and as a product with a different, or perhaps limited appeal, surely the niche schemes have a different risk profile than the regular releases. Considering the quick turn around from announcement to delivery, it's possible the additional 600 units were able to be tacked onto existing production and that was a limiting factor. We don't yet know if the 200 of each will sell out. Maybe Pat knows 200 is the magic number.

It doesn't take a college degree to tell by how fast the Movie Trucks sold out (another small run of 200), and by the prices those fetched on the secondary market that another one-time-run of custom-painted models will be an instant sellout.

Actually, all the Trainworx trucks and trailers are wildly popular - just go on their website and check stock status.   I'm not marketing guru but I really think that if Trainworx ran anothe batch of their standard truck releases (Like UPS) they would sell out too.
. . . 42 . . .

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1826
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 11:27:05 PM »
Pat will be re-running trucks. He is a one man shop and has other products in the mix. He is keeping things going at a sustainable rate. I'm glad he's giving us awesome new products and I look forward to him doing it for years to come.

We see way to many start-ups die fast because they put all their eggs in one basket or over produce one low demand project. I'm glad Pat is going the route he is.

Pat is an awesome guy. If you happen to be at the NSE convention next week, stop in, say hi, and buy some stuff from him!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 11:29:24 PM by jpwisc »
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 11:29:14 PM »
I just completed placing order for bunch these on MBK's website - it was painfully slow. Probably everybody is trying to order these at the same time.
. . . 42 . . .

jmarley76

• Crew
  • Respect: +132
    • WNCRails
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 11:51:34 PM »
wallet not happy :D

preach brother...  :facepalm: :D

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +141
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 12:05:03 AM »
I just completed placing order for bunch these on MBK's website - it was painfully slow. Probably everybody is trying to order these at the same time.

Yep, took longer than normal when I ordered about an hour ago.  The FedEx Peterbuilts are now sold out...108 trucks sold in about 6 hours (36 of each stock number)...  :o

Cheers,
Brian
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742

jmarley76

• Crew
  • Respect: +132
    • WNCRails
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 12:06:05 AM »
The FedEx Peterbuilts are now sold out...108 trucks sold in about 6 hours (36 of each stock number)...  :o

Damn  :(