Author Topic: Hardwiring A LifeLike SW1200  (Read 3001 times)

Jim Starbuck

• Crew
  • Respect: +2090
Re: Hardwiring A LifeLike SW1200
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2016, 08:03:45 PM »
Rob,
Yes, the decoder for the MT SW1500 will indeed work.
Micro Trains used the LifeLike/Walther's SW 9/1200 mechanism for their model.
TCS and Digitrax both make a decoder that replaces the stock light board.
The motor leads need to be desoldered from the original board and resoldered to the decoder so not exactly a drop in but a pretty simple install nevertheless.
Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure

newt749

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2016, 08:59:01 PM »
Thank-you Jim, that will certainly make my life much easier. I was about to sell an old LL SW9/1200 that I had long forgotten about as I really didn't want to have to hard wire a decoder into it. This one had a really nice weathering job done to it and I was reluctant to sell it for sentimental reasons. Soldering a couple of motor leads is no problem.

Rob
New Brunswick, Canada

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2016, 09:17:42 PM »

Yes, the decoder for the MT SW1500 will indeed work.
Micro Trains used the LifeLike/Walther's SW 9/1200 mechanism for their model.

But they don't use the same shell. Have you done this install on the SW1200?

Jason

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3087
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2016, 09:20:27 PM »
Original poster was talking about hardwiring trucks to the chassis to help with electrical pick up.  But I recently hardwired TCS M1 decoders into two for Blazeman here on TRW.  I have also dropped the TCS version in the MT 1500, and the digitrax version in an old SW9/1200.  The drop in decoders are nice but the hardwire jobs aren't too difficult.  Biggest thing on both accounts, as in any decoder installation, make sure everything is isolated to prevent shorts.  Had hell of a time with the digitrax install.  Might help to grind a little bit of material away where the board slides into the frame

BobRunty

• Crew
  • Respect: +49
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2016, 09:33:51 AM »
Some good discussion going on here. I just picked up a couple of the MT 1500's from Kleins when they ran a sale recently specifically for the mechanisms. Probably been discussed earlier but I noted three differences between the drive on the 1500's and the older Lifelikes. The biggest in my book was the MT's have much nicer wheelsets, unlike those manhole covers that originally came on the Lifelikes. A little finer than the current Atlas ones, but not quite as nice as Katos. And just an FYI, I did try swapping out both Atlas and Kato wheelsets into the old Lifelike axles, but since the original Lifelike wheelsets were knurled on the ends, the replacements just weren't snug enough and would slip. And the axle gears are more centered on the Lifelikes so you can't just swap out the whole assembly.
Second was brass worms on the motor, but these are easily changed out on the Lifelike motors for Katos so not a big deal.
And third is the motor pickups, which MT actually soldered wire leads to which then plug into the light board. The Lifelikes were just brass contacts that pressed against the chassis. MT used tape to insulate them from the chassis, but one of mine had poorly soldered wires which bulged the motor cradle way out, making it almost impossible to get the shell on, plus the wire they used was too large a guage in my opinion.
Other than that the diecast chassis and truck drives are identical. And as someone mentioned you really have to watch the frame halves for possible contact points, a bit of flash or a tweaked frame could allow a short.
I'm formulating my plan for wiring these up and will update as needed. I just wish ESU would hurry up and release their Nano decoder.

Bob

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4595
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 05:43:44 PM »
Thanks Peteski. I think I might have some of that Ngineering wire around somewhere from a previous order I had with them.  Here is the wire ESU uses available separately from them. 36 ga. And it's pretty small stuff. http://www.esu.eu/en/products/accessories/thin-cables-cable-harness/

Bob

I bought some of that wire. Yes, the wire itself is very flexible and the insulation is very thin (so the overall diameter is small), but overall it is much stiffer than the super flexible wire from Ngineering.  While this wire seems perfect for wiring decoders, it would not be my first choice for truck feeder wires.

I'm also questioning the 36AWG specs.  The wire measures 0.010" in diameter which makes it 30AWG.
. . . 42 . . .