Author Topic: Here ya go -- instant parts bin!!  (Read 1161 times)

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3084
Re: Here ya go -- instant parts bin!!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 09:43:25 PM »
My first thought was Storage Wars.  Pictures show the top of the pile, and some different angles you can see different bits and pieces sticking here and there.  But you never know, there might be BNIB BLI M1a/b under that pile.  You'll only know if you win the bid.   :D

robwill84

• Crew
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 10:05:46 PM »
I grab lots like this all the time, keep some stuff, and break up and resell everything else in smaller lots. From the pictures you can see- bridge parts, always very popular, some kind of storage tanks on a base, dozens of windows, several buildings, a resin moving/furniture truck body, a box of wood ties, they always sell well, and who knows what else. In the second picture you can see some kind of lettering that might be a really cool sign from who knows whrere. When you unpack a lot like this, its usually way more than it looks like in the pictures. Spend 30 bucks, a little sorting later, and resell everything for around 100.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7961
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 08:46:37 AM »
@wm3798 could build a layout full of buildings out of that box.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 09:16:25 AM »
But you never know, there might be BNIB BLI M1a/b under that pile.

And here I was hoping for a Walthers Blast Furnace....

I always search these carefully- I've come across several where there is a single piece that would sell for the price of the lot, so from my point of view, the rest is free.  If nothing else, given that companies out there market 1"x2" resin castings of "junk piles" for $10 and up, you could chop it up into bits, put in a mixing bowl and stir in glue, and glob it out onto wax paper in tablespoon sized globs and have inventory to start a detail parts business.

OR- is the joke on us, and its all HO?
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5402
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 11:51:44 AM »
+1
I have to laugh... I see I already have most of the parts you can see in the piles there... 

Rule #2  Never EVER throw anything away!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net