Author Topic: Best Of Mike McGrattan Memorial Train - Admin Thread  (Read 45279 times)

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
Re: Mike McGrattan Memorial Train
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2016, 10:23:54 PM »

One thing I have learned so far is that I am going to have to brush up on my two letter state codes!

Wa = Washington....
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3528
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 09:53:37 AM »
Several people have messaged me to indicate that they live close to another RW member wishing to participate, and can effect a personal transfer as opposed to mail.  This is most helpful as any reduction in shipping helps to minimize damage or loss.  Thanks also to those who have offered to coordinate routing in a particular area.

So if this is the case, or if you wish to request a particular routing from one member yo another, please mention it and I will do my best to honour that.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2016, 10:28:37 AM »
I'd be happy to play middle man to/from @wm3798 or @RockGp40 on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and @Ed Kapuscinski, @John, or @seusscaboose on the Western Shore.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2016, 10:31:53 AM »
As I indicated by PM, I'll take responsibility for receiving, coordinating, and shipping in the SF Bay Area. @dougnelson is the only local that's answered up so far, but I'll work with any others that come up.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

newt749

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2016, 10:34:30 AM »
PM sent.

Great idea!

Rob

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 04:14:04 PM »
Maybe a map showing where participating members are located ?  I know there are a few near me but not sure how many

R L Smith

• Crew
  • Respect: +499
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2016, 12:36:11 PM »
PM sent.

Just a thought - I know the logistics will be very challenging for you, but it would be pretty cool to have the train in the Harrisburg PA area during next May's Rail-B-Q.  If someone could take it to that event, there should be several forum members there - some don't have layouts and it would be a good opportunity for them to sign the condolences book.

Ron
ELHS and NMRA member

If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy...

jnevis

• Crew
  • WP Lives
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2016, 10:28:49 PM »
+1
I am so sorry to hear the news.  I haven't been posting here in a while as I just can't seem to get into modeling trains lately.  A while ago I logged in long enough to send Mike a note to see how he was doing, I must have been to late.  He and I had a few conversations through PM about kidney failure and treatment options and other more upbeat topics.  I always thought of him as a friend not just an online acquaintance.  Very sorry to see him go, but knowing he isn't suffering anymore makes it a little easier to take.  They say it isn't what you do on a daily basis, but the impact you leave.  I don't think there's any doubt the impact Mike has made on anyone he's touched. Via con dios
Can't model worth a darn, but can research like an SOB.

CNR5529

• Crew
  • Respect: +623
    • My Shapeways Store
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2016, 04:05:55 PM »
Tim,

PM sent. What a great tribute for an amazing person.

Fredrick
Because why not...

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2016, 08:15:25 PM »
I'd be happy to play middle man to/from @wm3798 or @RockGp40 on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and @Ed Kapuscinski, @John, or @seusscaboose on the Western Shore.

DFF

@chicken45
ahem.
I signed up and let them know of my proximity of local asshats.
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

BCR 570

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2016, 12:34:21 AM »
It has been a week since announcing this project and I thought I would update members as to our progress.

Geoff has painted the coach and business car, and they will soon be ready for decals after the paint has cured.

The package from Rapido Trains has arrived with a pre-production model of their new baggage car, which would have been one of the last projects Mike worked on as an employee of theirs.  I will get it to Geoff for painting this week.  Rapido have also provided a CNR sleeper.  We all know that Mike modeled a fair bit of CN and he also enjoyed pool equipment, so it looks like we will now have a four car train.

A total of 29 people have signed up to participate so far, including stops across Canada and the United States, with a strong representation in the northeast.  I have given everyone until June 30 to sign up, after which time I will work out the most logical routing for the train.

That's all for now,

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2016, 01:25:59 AM »
Are you looking primarily for members with layouts that have at least some finished scenery? Mike took some of my advice when building his layout, so I'd be happy to host his train.

BCR 570

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2016, 03:38:29 AM »
No requirements for finished scenery; participation on any level of layout completion is welcome.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

BCR 570

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2016, 03:39:51 AM »
Thank you to all those who have signed up to take part.  I will now compile the schedule, during which time I may email some of you to confirm best routing in your area.

Tim

T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

BCR 570

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2016, 08:13:55 PM »
+14
It is my pleasure to introduce to you the Michael McGrattan Memorial Train.  Following painting and delivery from Geoff Gooderham (aka Angus Shops), I have performed a test run with the train, acquired the condolence book, and am now working on getting the shipping box ready for travel.  Here are the first photographs:

Baggage Car 2016 was assembled from pre-production parts supplied by Rapido Trains.  This model is not yet available to the public.  We wanted a head-end car and this was a first choice as it would have been one of the last N Scale projects Mike worked on at Rapido.  We  would like to think that the baggage car is an exhibition car, filled with displays of the many contributions Mike made to our hobby:

Coach 1964 is a Geoff Gooderham resin casting and this model was produced specifically at Mike's request.  You might remember his tagline "We can send a man to the moon but we can't make a single window coach . . "  The coach is numbered for the year of Mike's birth and is included in the consist to accommodate the daytime guests aboard the train during its run over your layout:

Sleeping Car GLACE BAY is a stock model donated by Rapido Trains (probably the nicest RTR N Scale passenger car I have ever seen).  This was another project Mike would have been involved in at Rapido, and its inclusion honours Mike's considerable CN modelling.  It provides onboard accommodation for the train's staff:

Official Car MICHAEL MCGRATTAN is a Micro-Trains business car acquired from Lowell Smith.  It is named after Mike in the railway tradition of naming business cars after important railway officials.  It is included in the consist to host receptions for high ranking government officials, visiting foreign dignitaries and royalty, state governors,
provincial premiers, RCAF officers, important figures in entertainment, industry, and sport, and so on.:

During the coming week I will be working on the shipping box and routing for the train; details to follow very soon!

Tim

« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 08:15:28 PM by BCR 570 »
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca