Author Topic: Mounting Photo Backdrops  (Read 2186 times)

unittraincoal

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
Re: Mounting Photo Backdrops
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 10:34:16 PM »

The only lamination is the backdrop to the styrene. Nothing covers the backdrop itself. The backdrop is printed on a heavy paper from TracksideScenery.com. The print/sign shop uses a machine to mount it to the styrene, and there's an adhesive "sheet" that goes between the backdrop and styrene. That's it. The backdrop itself is otherwise unmodified/unaltered. The photo paper the backdrop is printed on has a matte finish. Joey Ricard, the proprietor, can give you more detailed information on the backdrops themselves, the finish, etc. In my experience as a customer, he's a stand-up guy, easy to work with, and is very accommodating.

I am going to have my own photos printed. If they can laminate photo paper to styrene, I believe I'll use this method. Any Idea how large they can laminate?

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1699
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 10:48:00 PM »
I am going to have my own photos printed. If they can laminate photo paper to styrene, I believe I'll use this method. Any Idea how large they can laminate?

It probably depends on the shop, but the guys I use here locally have mounted 30" x 96" backdrops for me without blinking an eye. Look for a place that does more than just printing - wraps, signage, displays, etc. That's what these guys do.

Chris

Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

unittraincoal

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 10:50:55 PM »

It probably depends on the shop, but the guys I use here locally have mounted 30" x 96" backdrops for me without blinking an eye. Look for a place that does more than just printing - wraps, signage, displays, etc. That's what these guys do.

Chris

Thanks!

I'll start looking... looks like agreat way to do it...

shark_jj

• Crew
  • Respect: +293
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 10:47:02 AM »
I too have been looking at a variety of options for backdrops.  I need over 70 feet of backdrops and when I priced them out commercially the cost was going to be around $1400 US or almost $2000 Can. from any of the commercial suppliers.  I had been looking at the backdrops from LARC Products and they offer a 6 volume set of CD's with over 900 backdrops and 100's of buildings that you can print yourself for $75.  In looking at videos on YouTube of how others had done it, I came across one modeller who suggested full page labels as an option.  (unfortunately I cannot find the video a second time, so I don't know who to credit with the idea).  I decided it was worth a try since the full page labels would already be adhesive and at one page size, relatively easy to work with individually.  The key to this approach would be taking real care with the seams.  The photos below show an area which is under construction and which was my test bed for this approach.  I think they came out pretty good and the whole 70 feet of backdrops is going to cost me less than $200.  I got them commercially printed on a laser printer with a matte finish.

shark_jj

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 10:49:11 AM »
Oops, haven't posted photos in awhile and I obviously messed up, trying again.

shark_jj

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2017, 10:51:36 AM »
Here are the other two