Author Topic: Scaletrains game changer  (Read 20399 times)

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +983
Re: Scaletrains game changer
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2016, 12:55:41 PM »
Little Joe. All the evidence is there: somebody designed one in shapeways, painted it, & ran it. Bingo! Think about it. The jinx works!

That would be terrible... I would have to buy all 12, and sell my Soo line equipment partly to finance it and partly because it would look dumb in Avery Idaho.  :trollface:
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8034
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2016, 03:01:47 PM »
This has me thinking what would really constitute a game-changer in N scale.

For a locomotive, I think it would have to be a factory-installed DCC decoder with a built-in keep-alive capability.

If we broadened the spectrum to include all things N scale, I think we still have a very long way to go toward a bullet-proof track system with scale rails, integral switch machines, and North American tie size and spacing.

Other than that, maybe I lack the imagination to conceive of something that really is a game-changer.  With the exception of track, I think N scale stands shoulder-to-shoulder with HO in terms of detail, reliability, and even sound.

I'm convinced that smoke in N scale is probably a bad idea, if for no other reason than the residue it'll leave on rails.  N scale locomotives seem to always need every bit of electrical contact they can muster (it's probably more a weight thing than a size thing) and smoke oil residue won't help that at all.

This is a really good question.

What would a game changer be?

Modular locomotives. Especially steam.

Structure and accessory kits for the stuff that's actually common in the world, instead of another two floor outhouse or another "Old West Saloon".

Cheap and accurate vehicles.

Decent, affordable figures.

Cheap, RTR trees that don't look like they were drawn by kindergarteners.

A moderately prices 3D printer/painter with high enough resolution to print N scale models without looking like formed concrete.

Cheap and comprehensive signal systems.

Easy to setup working crossing signals in a variety of sizes and styles.

After reading a review of it, the BLI Rolling Thunder thing with N scale decoders that can be put in place alongside existing DCC decoders, and that can be even smarter about positioning.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4611
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2016, 03:05:39 PM »
I don' think it will be a steam locomotive.  Even a UP Turbine is more realistic guess than a steam loco.
. . . 42 . . .

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2016, 03:07:32 PM »
I don' think it will be a steam locomotive.  Even a UP Turbine is more realistic guess than a steam loco.

I'm actually betting it is the UP Turbine. Which I'd hardly consider a game changer, given that we've had UP Turbines in N for as long as there's been an N scale, or at least it seems...

I'm not begrudging them to folks who want them, but I'd hardly consider them a game changer.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4611
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2016, 03:13:36 PM »
I'm actually betting it is the UP Turbine. Which I'd hardly consider a game changer, given that we've had UP Turbines in N for as long as there's been an N scale, or at least it seems..

Maybe it will have operating turbine blades? In N scale no less!  :)
. . . 42 . . .

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2016, 03:20:07 PM »
Tell your cats to watch out...

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2016, 03:32:53 PM »
I thought it already slipped that it was a turbine. In one of their videos they asked a question about it and they said something like "yes the HO one" meaning that there is another one.

jmarley76

• Crew
  • Respect: +132
    • WNCRails
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2016, 03:39:21 PM »

Modular locomotives. Especially steam.

I am with you, and thinking along those lines, it won't be the locomotive model itself, rather the inards...

If I have to pick a model, I am guessing a GP9.
I would like to see a GP39.
And my wild card/powerball pick would be an MK5000 (in Utah Railway or G&W paint)

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8550
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2016, 03:43:28 PM »
@Ed Kapuscinski brings up a good point...  With a few exceptions (like Summit USA) our available structure kits look as if the Cuban Missile Crisis wasn't averted and all architectural development ended at 1962.

Although I'm focused on "traditional" railroading I've often thought that one of the advantages of N scale is that it seems naturally suited for modern-era railroading.  With giant 6-axle locomotives and 86-89' cars being so common, train length and minimum curve radius become real problems in HO and larger when you're talking a standard bedroom or even half a basement.  N scale lets you do modern-era railroading in a modest space with minimal compression.

So why is it there are so few kits available for 21st-century structures?

If you're modeling back East where many of the structures are well over a century old, you can probably get away with it.  But here, out West, so much is new and modern (often with a distinctly Western style that includes earth tones and dry-stacked stone accents).  If I were modeling modern-day BNSF in the desert Southwest (which, frankly, wouldn't be the worst decision I ever made), I'd be hosed on structures.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 04:19:52 PM by Dave Vollmer »

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2016, 03:45:05 PM »
We will know in three weeks.  Some of us will have a ring-side seat.  8)
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Englewood

• Crew
  • Respect: +260
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2016, 04:33:17 PM »
A new Tier 4 GE with operating PTC! That way when Mr. Model Engineer is too busy telling you about his favorite TV show and not paying attention, he won't rear-end the train in front of him. And hopefully they're also working on an appropriate well car for their 53' containers, of which I have entirely too many on order.
Modern... is beautiful.  :)

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2016, 04:51:24 PM »
My theory is that one person's "game changer" is another's "Meh..."

But honestly at this point a game changer would be ███████ or possibly █████.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2016, 05:17:58 PM »
Single window coach....just sayin'.

I'd agree with the predominant wisdom here- given that they say the "game changer" will be a locomotive, I'm inclined to think what is inside will be the game changer.  While there are plenty of locomotives I would like to have, they are generally not life altering experiences.  "Game changer" suggests a technological innovation..  It would be about time to have an AB set with the motor in the A and battery pack in the B, that you control from your phone.  Eliminate wiring from the track. THAT, or something like it, would be a game changer.
But I doubt they are planning to change the game quite that much.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2895
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2016, 05:18:14 PM »
+1
-2 project

H Lee

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2016, 06:02:50 PM »
Just happened to check the Scaletrains Facebook and it mentions the N scale convention and a game changer! This should be interesting, if they're announcing something I would guess its a locomotive. Time will tell!

I believe the 'game changer' verbage was used in the HO Turbine announcement. I suspect they are using the same advertising campaign in N scale to announce the same locomotive.

I also suspect that the 'game changer' in N scale will result in the most finely detailed (too fragile to handle!!!) and most expensive N scale locomotive ever produced. I think this most expensive/fragile combo will be true even if they only do a 'rivet counter model' version.

If they also do a N scale 'museum quality' version it may set the record for the most expensive model locomotive ever produced in ANY scale.