Author Topic: Wiring Layout So It Can Be Disassembled...?  (Read 1552 times)

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
Wiring Layout So It Can Be Disassembled...?
« on: June 05, 2016, 09:52:32 PM »
I've been planning my future layout so it can be disassembled and moved if necessary. For example, I will have a 10' x 30" shelf that I want to be in 5' x 30" sections. Of course, I got to thinking about making the wiring underneath sectional too. Would it be some sort of crime to make my 14 gauge bus wires under the shelf, for example, into two 5' sections joined by terminal strips every 5' so I can unscrew them if I need to move the layout?

I originally planned to have the layout electrified by 50' of continuous bus wire. Then someone suggested I make the bus 25' long, connecting to power supply via terminal strip then another 25' of bus wire connected to the same terminal strip.

Sorry I'm so ignorant.

Hmm... that's okay, Kiz.
We're used to it...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4590
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Wiring Layout So It Can Be Disassembled...?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 12:18:39 AM »
Every wire joint at a terminal strip introduces a tiny bit of resistance and also becomes an additional point of possible failure.  But if you are careful, that should not be a problem.  After all, there are some large NTRAK module layouts aou there which use DCC and have connectors on the bus every 4 feet.

Maybe before you plan your electrical bus installation you might want to post a rough diagram of your layout to get opinions on how to best approach the wiring of the layout's sections.

I'm also confused on the size. It will be a shelf layout which is 10 feet deep and 30 feet long. divided into two 5 x 30 feet sections?  That's huge for movable sections!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 02:05:56 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +127
    • IG
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 01:05:09 AM »
@peteski he said 5 feet by 30" 
" these aren't just quotation marks, they also mean inches! ;)
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 02:04:38 AM »
@peteski he said 5 feet by 30" 
" these aren't just quotation marks, they also mean inches! ;)

:facepalm:  I know that - my brain obviously didn't pick up that extra tick.  :facepalm:
Edited my original post.
. . . 42 . . .

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +127
    • IG
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 03:44:26 AM »
:facepalm:  I know that - my brain obviously didn't pick up that extra tick.  :facepalm:
Edited my original post.

It's all good!  :D
 **it Happens!
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +982
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 08:35:05 AM »
+2
If you're simply planning for the eventuality that the layout might be moved. Why not just add a little slack to the wiring, then if the move happens you can snip the wires at the section joints and add in connectors or Terminal Strips or simply rejoin the wires with a lineman's splice, solder it and cover the joint with shrink tubing.
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 09:18:10 AM »
If you're simply planning for the eventuality that the layout might be moved. Why not just add a little slack to the wiring, then if the move happens you can snip the wires at the section joints and add in connectors or Terminal Strips or simply rejoin the wires with a lineman's splice, solder it and cover the joint with shrink tubing.

^This.

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +925
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 10:41:59 AM »
Or instead of terminal strips, use Molex multi-pin connectors in however many pins you need to connect wiring across sections.

Our N-Trak layout has a large yard that has 12 tracks and spans three 6' modules.  To supply power to all the yard tracks on each module, we used two sets of 12-pin molex connectors for each section, plus similar connectors to connect the yard control panel to the center module.  This yard is now about 20 years old, and we've never had an electrical failure, even though it gets stored between shows in an enclosed trailer parked in a cornfield with outdoor temps that range from 100 in the summer to zero (or below) in the winter.   Using Molex connectors takes some planning and soldering (you have to solder the wires to the pins, then insert them into the connector in the right order to match the male to the female connectors), but they have proven foolproof in our club environment, which is hardly ideal.

John C.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 12:08:36 PM by jdcolombo »

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 11:01:30 AM »
+1
The two sections of the Juniata Division are electrically connected via alligator clips.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7948
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 12:11:47 PM »
I had the same design challenge when I started working on the Windsor St layout.

I ended up going with terminal strips, but only where they made sense block wise. Because it's all screws, when it needs to move, I can just unscrew them.

But, at the same time, I wouldn't go overboard and waste time, money and effort adding extra terminal blocks or plugs (even though Molex or Power Poles would do the job) for what would be a one time event. Just include some extra slack in the wires like Ryan suggests and cross that bridge when you come to it.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 12:19:19 PM »
Yes, Ryan makes an excellent point. If the possibility of the move is not a certain, there really is no need for adding connectors or terminals now. Just leave some slack on the wires where the bench-work sections meet, and if they end up being moved you can then cut the wires and then reconnect them after the move (using one of many available methods).
. . . 42 . . .

kondor

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 08:42:23 AM »
I have been using Anderson Powerpole connectors for my DCC and Accessory buses.
http://www.andersonpower.com/us/en/products/powerpole/index.aspx

You can get them in different colors, and you can stack them to effectively make a 2 or 4 or whatever position connector.  The stacking options also let you build a keying system into your connections. 

Mastertech

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 09:54:47 AM »
I just bought some of these from home depot and there awesome I'm using them for a 12 v. lighting buss.
Just strip,insert and connect, very fast. they only go in one way so there stupid proof.
  i found link cause it's faster than taking a picture.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-PowerPlug-Orange-Ballast-Disconnect-Discs-5-Pack-30-1302S/202935637

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 11:59:29 AM »
The electrical bus only has one "s" (just like the road vehicle).  "Buss" is a brand of electric fuses from Copper industries (or a kiss), or simply a typo. . .  :D
. . . 42 . . .