Author Topic: Loads for Autoracks - a suggestion  (Read 2705 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Loads for Autoracks - a suggestion
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2016, 05:41:12 PM »
Its getting really hard to avoid the 1970s  :)

About 8 years ago I almost moved to a 70's era Twin Cities themed collection with thoughts of a layout featuring different iconic scenes from the area.  When IM announced they were doing the SD40-2, I was able to walk away from that. 

Jason

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 01:57:25 AM »
Well whoever is making the autoracks , would sell more if they produced the correct era vehicles of decent quality , and clear windows . Even no windows is better than solid Chunk O Cars . If they did my '69 383 4 on the floor Baracuda I bought new in '69 with this same paint and decals I would have to buy more than a few . https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7b/'69_Plymouth_Barracuda_383_(Rigaud).jpg

Richie Dost

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2016, 09:29:28 AM »
Well whoever is making the autoracks , would sell more if they produced the correct era vehicles of decent quality , and clear windows . Even no windows is better than solid Chunk O Cars . If they did my '69 383 4 on the floor Baracuda I bought new in '69 with this same paint and decals I would have to buy more than a few . https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7b/'69_Plymouth_Barracuda_383_(Rigaud).jpg

I'll need some privacy please...

Bart1701

• Crew
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2016, 09:01:20 PM »
I checked out RapidPro on Shapeways as had been mentioned earlier. Wow! What an incredible assortment of vehicles! They bring back memories since many of the cars I owned in the 60's and 70's are offered.

Does anyone have any experience with these or photos of some completed vehicles? I've never used anything from Shapeways (or any 3-D printers) and was wondering about the quality and finish of these vehicles? Are they fairly smooth, or does the printing process leave "ridges" between each layer? Are there any other things that one should be aware of when preparing, painting and detailing one of these items?

Thanks,
Bart