Author Topic: The Canal Line  (Read 54876 times)

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
Re: The Canal Line
« Reply #180 on: October 11, 2017, 05:19:39 PM »
+2
So, after posting a photo of projects on my workbench, I dove in and finished some cars not even in the picture! :facepalm:...But these are 2 less projects needing doing....

Both were modeled after prototype photos, though the green car I had to change the numbers a bit due to the fact that Microscale only provided 2 number "7"s..The PC style numbers are also a bit too large, but that's what I had available! The green car started as an undec, the FGE car was factory painted. Anywho, here they are....

Gotta say...

Really like that trackwork.

R L Smith

• Crew
  • Respect: +498
« Reply #181 on: October 11, 2017, 10:14:04 PM »
+1
Likewise.  I've really been enjoying this thread, as I lived in nearby Windsor Locks CT about 25 years ago.

Here's a photo of Holyoke I took during the 2009 NMRA convention in Hartford.

Ron
ELHS and NMRA member

If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy...

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #182 on: October 19, 2017, 08:52:39 PM »
+1
Gotta say...

Really like that trackwork.

Thanks!..It's all Atlas code 55..

Likewise.  I've really been enjoying this thread, as I lived in nearby Windsor Locks CT about 25 years ago.

Here's a photo of Holyoke I took during the 2009 NMRA convention in Hartford.

Ron

The "front" of my layout is that street, just a couple of blocks to the left of your photo! My bridge crosses this canal...

Not much progress this week, been working on a pair of B&M boxcars, I will share them once they are finished..

It is finally fall around here,my favorite time at work, took this photo of my mower today....Not a bad view from the office!

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3123
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #183 on: October 19, 2017, 09:21:11 PM »
Thanks!..It's all Atlas code 55..

The "front" of my layout is that street, just a couple of blocks to the left of your photo! My bridge crosses this canal...

Not much progress this week, been working on a pair of B&M boxcars, I will share them once they are finished..

It is finally fall around here,my favorite time at work, took this photo of my mower today....Not a bad view from the office!

Joe, gorgeous view.  Gawd, I love that building though!  Will that be in the next module?

nuno81291

• Crew
  • Respect: +311
« Reply #184 on: October 19, 2017, 11:13:10 PM »
Gunstock eh? 8)
Guilford Rail System in the 80s/90s

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +483
« Reply #185 on: October 20, 2017, 03:57:17 PM »
Gotta say it. Beautiful modeling! Love the concept & execution!
Buffering...

coosvalley

• Crew
« Reply #186 on: October 20, 2017, 06:15:52 PM »
Gunstock eh? 8)

Winner winner chicken dinner! Are you local, or have you skied there?

Gotta say it. Beautiful modeling! Love the concept & execution!

Thanks!

coosvalley

• Crew
« Reply #187 on: October 27, 2017, 02:47:31 PM »
+8
Here are a couple cars I painted up for B&M. The 50 footer still needs some stirrups, and it's own frame, as I stole this from another car being worked on. The 40 footer is one of 2 cars stranded in Cambridge, Ma., which have since been scrapped. The 50 footer is the same number as a car on display and restored at the RR Mueseum of New England.

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #188 on: October 28, 2017, 03:48:04 PM »
Weren't those two cars right by USS Constitution ? I remember a pair of B&M blue boxcars there when I was a kid.

coosvalley

• Crew
« Reply #189 on: October 28, 2017, 09:15:33 PM »
Weren't those two cars right by USS Constitution ? I remember a pair of B&M blue boxcars there when I was a kid.

These would be those!

coosvalley

• Crew
« Reply #190 on: October 29, 2017, 03:24:25 PM »
+3
When I decided I was going to build this layout, I decided to focus all of my efforts on getting the needed materials, and did not allow myself any other hobby purchases until I had enough to finish the layout to the point of reliable operation.. Now that I have an operational layout, I have been able to go back to painting, detailing, and weathering equipment again. I generally wait until I have all or most parts to finish a job before starting, a lesson learned the hard way a few times! I find this to be my favorite part of the hobby. I used to custom paint for others, but nowadays just for me, I prefer a laid back approach. Anywho, here are my recent additions to the collection, including a just delivered Atlas PD boxcar CR-in-PC paint patchout, I had no idea Atlas ever made such an animal, but I have a thing for Conrail "green" stuff. I will include an interchange with PC/CR if I ever expand this layout, so I can justify all of the CR family cars on my layout!

I also recently received my new numberboxes for B&M 1127, so that will be this weeks project! Stay tuned!

coosvalley

• Crew
« Reply #191 on: November 06, 2017, 01:14:42 PM »
+5
Hey gang, this week I got this little critter to the point of near completion. Some things still to do are add number decals to the headlight housing on the cab end, it seems the other end never got these...Also I need to decide between MV lenses or silver paint and a drop of clear parts cement for the class lights on the numberboxes. And once I have it "done" I will give it a wash of "road grime", to tone it down a bit.. I also plan on adding an engineer figure, but it seems I've used up all of my good ones, so I'll need to pick up some more. I will also replace the (removed)factory cab handrails with wire ones.

The horn assembly is a tiny bit too tall, and the numbers on the side of the hood are slightly too small and lack black outlines, but I'm at the mercy of what's available...
Anywho, here she is...

Bsklarski

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
« Reply #192 on: November 06, 2017, 06:36:52 PM »
+1
Going by your time frame and since the back is SO close to NH territory, you can park a NH gp7 or something there too
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3123
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #193 on: November 06, 2017, 08:28:48 PM »
Hey gang, this week I got this little critter to the point of near completion. Some things still to do are add number decals to the headlight housing on the cab end, it seems the other end never got these...Also I need to decide between MV lenses or silver paint and a drop of clear parts cement for the class lights on the numberboxes. And once I have it "done" I will give it a wash of "road grime", to tone it down a bit.. I also plan on adding an engineer figure, but it seems I've used up all of my good ones, so I'll need to pick up some more. I will also replace the (removed)factory cab handrails with wire ones.

The horn assembly is a tiny bit too tall, and the numbers on the side of the hood are slightly too small and lack black outlines, but I'm at the mercy of what's available...
Anywho, here she is...

Looks great Joe!

You might be able to paint the raised gasket on the housing with a fine brush.

coosvalley

• Crew
« Reply #194 on: November 06, 2017, 11:16:26 PM »
+1

You might be able to paint the raised gasket on the housing with a fine brush.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can, the styrene plug, once painted and decaled, is slightly raised to the same level as the gasket. Maybe I'll pop them out and give it a shot, sanding them thinner in the process...But this was my first try with these, I did figure out an easy, repeatable way to mount them, so that was half the battle. I did try to add some styrene legs, but ultimately they didn't seem like they were going to improve the looks of the model, so I just stuck with the steel wire legs, inserted into the holes for the wires.

I am overall quite pleased with these,and I thank you again for the effort!