Author Topic: Bill Kachel's Electrified PRR as seen on "Tracks Ahead" season 9  (Read 1865 times)

Bfagan

• Crew
  • Respect: +61
Bill Kachel’s Cosmopolitan Division of the Pennsylvania Railroad from Pittsburgh to NYC and New Haven is an HO scale DCC controlled railroad.  Includes the Hell Gate Bridge, Horseshoe Curve and the Zoo interchange in Philadelphia.  Over half has catenary.  His railroad has been featured in the season 9 of the TV show “Tracks Ahead”.  This layout is truly an amazing feat of model railroading engineering and is open to visitors during the November Model Railroad Open House schedule for PA, DE, MD and NJ.

Pittsburgh to New Haven:   
/>
B&O in Pittsburgh Branch 1:     
/>
B&O in Pittsburgh Branch 2:   
/>
Port Road Branch:   
/>
Bridgeport Branch:   
/>
Sunnyside Yard to Reading RR Port:   
/>
Caboose View:   
/>
Flyover:   
/>
Hope you enjoy this railroad as it is one of the best.

MrKLUKE

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 09:30:19 PM »
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 01:45:49 AM by MrKLUKE »

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
Re: Bill Kachel's Electrified PRR as seen on "Tracks Ahead" season 9
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 03:22:03 PM »
He plans to expand to "Boston." Perhaps an addition to the building to do so. His staging area is longer than most garages.

One feature I personally enjoy is the USS Chester (hometown) docked on the layout. Bill told me he doesn't purposely have the Chester displayed, but was able to purchase a completed model which turned out to be that vessel.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 01:41:58 AM »
I think that's the first time I've ever seen a successful model of inclined catenary.  Think he could be talked into writing an article on how he did it?
N Kalanaga
Be well

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 01:10:33 PM »
I think that's the first time I've ever seen a successful model of inclined catenary.  Think he could be talked into writing an article on how he did it?

Many years ago (in the 80's), he did do a catenary construction clinic for Phila Div., so he's not one to keep secrets about techniques. Bill likes to share his knowledge and probably would be thrilled for someone to follow his path with building operating catenary.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 08:45:28 PM »
Such hotness.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1