Author Topic: "Tacky" and transparent FUD after Bestine soak  (Read 4425 times)

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1254
Re: "Tacky" and transparent FUD after Bestine soak
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 07:28:06 AM »
When I de-wax my Shapeways FUD prints, I don't just leave 'em in the Bestine/Heptane vat, but I swish the solution around every 15 minutes or so...for, at the most, a couple of hours.  Before I paint, I hit the print with a bit more Bestine/Heptane while in my spray booth with a stiff boar-bristle paintbrush, then take my hairdryer to the part before painting.

This has worked extremely well for me.

However, if you've got a "sticky" surface...that sounds like it's slightly uncured to me.  Sunlight.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 08:41:04 AM »
They were fully immersed in heptane for 24 hours. I swished and repositioned every few hours.

When I say "stuck together" they came from the factory that way. I wonder if two uncured resin surfaces glued themselves to each other.

My heptane is reused, but I haven't done a whole lot of soaking prior. I suppose it could be a contributing factor, but...the same spots on all 8 models are tacky, and on each model, the front and back are tacky, but the sides are fine.

Unfortunately, we won't see the sun here for another week. Can I get a UV lightbulb at Home Depot or something that I can screw in to a work lamp?

Meanwhile, I opened a case with Shapeways and it was suggested to soak the model in ...olive oil for 15 minutes then clean with dish detergent. It didn't work, but my request is being escalated. I guess we'll see what happens next.
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 10:39:52 AM »
Olive oil?!?  :?

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 11:14:01 AM »
Olive oil?!?  :?

I'm not kidding. I even asked him to clarify and he did: olive oil for cooking.
I mean, I know in the past that oily things are sometime used to clean things, like WD40 on bike cogs, but I didn't think EVOO would work.

Josh Surkosky

Ed Kapucinski
But mention his law

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
No, I said "Ed's Law."

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 11:16:57 AM »
+4
... I didn't think EVOO would work.

It doesn't even have to be EVOO. Olive oil that's been around the block a couple of times should be fine.

:trollface: :facepalm:

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 02:14:30 PM »
Interesting...  That sounds like olive oil can be used as a solvent for the FUD's wax.  :D  That is very interesting as it is much safer than Heptane, and as mentioned by the Shapeways staff, residue can be easily washed away with dishwasher detergent.
. . . 42 . . .

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 02:18:36 PM »
Interesting...  That sounds like olive oil can be used as a solvent for the FUD's wax.  :D  That is very interesting as it is much safer than Heptane, and as mentioned by the Shapeways staff, residue can be easily washed away with dishwasher detergent.

Anyone out there have some FUD stuff that hasn't met heptane yet and can do an olive oil soak?
Josh Surkosky

Ed Kapucinski
But mention his law

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
No, I said "Ed's Law."

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 02:33:45 PM »
+1
Anyone out there have some FUD stuff that hasn't met heptane yet and can do an olive oil soak?

Hmm... Kiz is soaking in
olive oil as I speak...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

trainforfun

• Crew
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2016, 03:26:42 PM »

I have a couple of 3D models sitting on my workbench but what I am afraid is the oily residue after , will the paint stick correctly even after a heavy wash ???
Thanks ,
Louis

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2016, 03:41:55 PM »
Interesting...  That sounds like olive oil can be used as a solvent for the FUD's wax.  :D  That is very interesting as it is much safer than Heptane...

Wonder if it would work on prints intended to be window glass for a print?  Been wondering because there are passenger car prints that have glass available but have not heard of a good way of cleaning them without loosing the look it should have.

will the paint stick correctly even after a heavy wash ???

Would suspect that if it were washed with Dawn that all the oil would come off... not too sure about other dish washing liquids.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 03:43:39 PM by jmlaboda »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2016, 04:00:54 PM »
Wonder if it would work on prints intended to be window glass for a print?  Been wondering because there are passenger car prints that have glass available but have not heard of a good way of cleaning them without loosing the look it should have.

I'm afraid that the FUD and FXD material (even if it was printed in its best surface finish (one side on the bottom of the printing tray and the other side with no wax being adjacent to the printed surface (would not be either transparent enough or smooth enough to be used as window glass.

But a possibility would be to print those parts, then sand and polish both surfaces to mirror-like finish, the use them as masters to make RTV molds and cast the clear pieces using crystal-clear urethane resin (in a simple 1-piece open mold.
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 08:54:23 PM »
I have some N scale trucks that are soaking in olive oil now. They are about 2 years old, but never soaked.

So what is the olive oil supposed to do?

A lot of people overseas use mineral spirits to clean FUD, but from using that at work I know it leaves oil residue.

EDIT:
read the olive oil is used to dissolve ear wax, but also read that plain water to be more effective and faster than olive oil or hydrogen peroxide.  :?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 09:03:57 PM by Chris333 »

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +488
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2016, 11:12:26 PM »
Wow, we may have to consult Rachael Ray on this olive oil deal.

Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2016, 11:52:12 PM »
I have some N scale trucks that are soaking in olive oil now. They are about 2 years old, but never soaked.

So what is the olive oil supposed to do?

A lot of people overseas use mineral spirits to clean FUD, but from using that at work I know it leaves oil residue.

EDIT:
read the olive oil is used to dissolve ear wax, but also read that plain water to be more effective and faster than olive oil or hydrogen peroxide.  :?

I'm assuming that the oil is an intermediate step in the FUD wax removal process, with the wash with detergent and warm water being the final step.   Detergent wash should be able to remove the oil/wax solution (just like it removes olive oil from dirty dishes after an Italian feast).  :)
. . . 42 . . .

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2018, 12:15:39 PM »
I saw someone else just posted a thread about this topic.
To bring this thread some closure, Shapeways reprinted my entire order because no amount of soaking in Bestine or EVOO fixed it.

I was able to prime and sand down some of the sticky stuff. It worked out for me.
Josh Surkosky

Ed Kapucinski
But mention his law

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
No, I said "Ed's Law."