Author Topic: Keystone Details announces etched PRR baggage door overlays For MT baggage cars  (Read 4375 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3158
    • Designer at Keystone Details
NOTE: this kit DOES NOT INCLUDE the MT baggage car!    :D :D :trollface: :trollface: :facepalm: #disclaimthis

Also on a serious note, I am sold out of the porthole doors, but will be replenishing as soon as I hear back from the etching supplier.

Now you can Convert your Micro-Trains baggage car into reasonable PRR B70 baggage cars for lack of anything else out there. The B70 was a 70' heavyweight baggage car that rode on PRR 3C-P1 three axle tucks.

Two door styles are available, panel and porthole, both shown below.

Each kit is $4 plus $1 s&h, payable through PayPal, please PM me if interested, noting the quantity and style you want.  NOTE: I only have four sets of each door style, but more etchings will be on the way soon.

Here is a conversion with the panel doors:

The kit includes two doors of each size. Panel:

And Porthole:

The doors can be installed two ways:

As overlays atop the existing doors

Or for added depth the original doors can be carefully removed and the new doors installed by using the original,MT side window panels as a backing material from inside the car. This would also serve as the glazing for the new panels.

To finish off the car, remove the OEM trucks, save the pin and drill an offset hole into old Lima or Model Power trucks as they are proper PRR 3C-P1 trucks, shown below. Offsetting the bolster pin hole can get fairly close to the original snap features, but this is necessary to align the outriggers with the body pads.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 11:30:26 AM by Lemosteam »

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +99
THANK YOU!!!

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8550
This is awesome!!!

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
I'm not a PRR modeler, but will be taking a close look through my books on various RRs to see if I can use these to get closer to prototype.  Hopefully, this is just the beginning and we will see a variety of doors made available by John and other talented designers for the MT cars (or, for that matter, WoT or even old Rivarossi and other manufacturers).  Updated Erie doors would seem a natural.  Also, the fairly common upgrade with 1, 2 or 3 square windows.

Thinking in terms of interchange, but wondering if one of the PRR experts could provide info on when the "porthole" doors began to replace panels, and how long the panel doors remained in use (that is, a timeline so I don't get caught with the wrong doors on a Pennsy car in an ATSF train)'

Tom D
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
excellent John
appreciate your work and willingness to offer these!
i need to get into my PRR passenger stock to get a count
also research to if portholes or rectangular would be needed
hope to get the information this week sometime
but i can certainly wait until you have sufficient supply before
ordering
thanks!
Gary
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
Aaaaaannnnd just as I'm putting the finishing touches on the RR 80' full baggage I painstakingly rebuilt into a B70.......THIS happens. Does any other craft, industry or product area have this same "Build it and then someone will make a kit for it" syndrome N scale seems to have?

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
Aaaaaannnnd just as I'm putting the finishing touches on the RR 80' full baggage I painstakingly rebuilt into a B70.......THIS happens. Does any other craft, industry or product area have this same "Build it and then someone will make a kit for it" syndrome N scale seems to have?

Well, your RR car is sill likely more accurate, so , there's that.
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

Lemosteam

• Crew

Sorry, my purpose is not to screw anybody up, but @chicken45 is correct, as i meantion as well this is a stand-in "close enough" for the real thing...

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
    • Facebook Profile
Sorry, my purpose is not to screw anybody up, but @chicken45 is correct, as i meantion as well this is a stand-in "close enough" for the real thing...

Heh...I also didn't mean that as a "slam" against John's work.
The intent of his upgrade kit is to make a foob car look less fooby to the point where it is a plausible stand in with minimal effort.

If you need a lot of B70 cars fast, this is the way to go. If you want a super accurate B70, bash it.

Life lesson: Remember those P70s I was working on? Well, that was like 4 or 5 years ago now. They still aren't done.
I bought a Bachmann P70 for $40. It's good enough for the end of my mail train. I'll swap out the trucks with John's...maybe add some of those ice bins and such.
The moral here is, "just run something instead of not running anything."

Josh Surkosky

Ed Kapucinski
But mention his law

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
No, I said "Ed's Law."

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +986

Movie prop collecting is full of this... spend years painstakingly researching and recreating a prop only to have the original released causing you to start over with all the new information...

Remember its a journey :)
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284

I probably should have put a smily face after my comment. I wasn't complaining, in fact I'll probably buy a set just for the doors. Or are the 2 doors sets to offered separately?
And are there any plans for Pennsy cabin steps?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 04:26:28 AM by OldEastRR »

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
    • Facebook Profile
I probably should have put a smily face after my comment. I wasn't complaining, in fact I'll probably buy a set just for the doors. Or are the 2 doors sets to offered separately?

I didn't think you were complaining at all. Honestly.
Josh Surkosky

Ed Kapucinski
But mention his law

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
No, I said "Ed's Law."

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +99
Would these doors fit either the MT Baggage Mail car or the MP / Lima combine?

Thanks,
Scott

Lemosteam

• Crew
Would these doors fit either the MT Baggage Mail car or the MP / Lima combine?

Thanks,
Scott

@muktown128  Likely not.  I have not investigated the Lima combines or baggage cars yet (but that is a great suggestion).  You may be able to trim them a little, but the MT cars have two different size doors.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 11:31:52 AM by Lemosteam »

Lemosteam

• Crew

@OldEastRR , I understood your comment's intent and I was sincerely sorry because I know how that feels.

The doors are separate for you to install on the MT car and paint.  If you order one kit you will receive four total door etchings, based on if you want recessed panel or porthole.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 11:30:57 AM by Lemosteam »