Author Topic: First shots of MTL Airslide Hopper  (Read 5966 times)

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
Re: First shots of MTL Airslide Hopper
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 09:43:51 PM »
I'm good for a couple in N scale.Can we get one in Z?  :D
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2016, 04:28:18 AM »
Looks great Joe. As others have mentioned, we would love runner  packs of ADM and Wonder Bread. I could also use a few Conrail for variety.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2016, 05:53:00 AM »

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +994
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2016, 09:53:58 AM »

AAAANTHONEEEEE!

I have the old Delaware Valley car in this scheme (from the B&M RR Historical Society).
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2016, 12:20:15 PM »
Anyone know where the Wonder/Hostess and Italgrani cars went/came from?

They were regulars on PIOI through NJ in the 1990-1994 period.

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2016, 03:31:05 PM »
+1
I'm good for a couple in N scale.Can we get one in Z?  :D

N with Z/Nn3 couplers would be nice

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2016, 05:39:33 PM »
+2
N with Z/Nn3 couplers would be nice

I don't think that this is something we can realistically expect from a manufacturer.   Remember, they are catering to the entire N scale market (not some small fringe group which uses the smaller couplers which were not really designed to be compatible with standard N scale knuckle couplers).
. . . 42 . . .

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2016, 09:37:37 PM »
Wow...almost to 200 respect points now, Peteski! The man with the golden keyboard...or is it the avatar? At this point you could probably just sneeze and earn 'em. ;)

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +989
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2016, 09:53:37 PM »
+1
I don't think that this is something we can realistically expect from a manufacturer.   Remember, they are catering to the entire N scale market (not some small fringe group which uses the smaller couplers which were not really designed to be compatible with standard N scale knuckle couplers).

Although it would be more realistic to request a Z scale / Nn3 coupler in a 1015 style coupler box...  ;)
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2016, 12:17:08 AM »
Anyone know where the Wonder/Hostess and Italgrani cars went/came from?

They were regulars on PIOI through NJ in the 1990-1994 period.

That was the tail end of life for the Wonder Bread cars. They were all returned to their lessor in the early 90's and replaced with Trinity/NACC PD5125 cars. The airside cars would have been refurbished (probably in light blue with the dark blue GATX) vertical logo) or scraped. WBs first PD5125 cars were built in 1984 (5501XX series with block font). Their later cars were numbered in the 5503XX in roman font. The car numbers were not consecutive and not listed in the equipment register, but I think there were less than a dozen PD cars total. There may have been more airside cars due to their lower capacity. But again these tend not to make it into the register. The latest Morning Sun X car book has a few photos.

I have been trying to determine if the PD and airside cars ever ran together, and what the hookup at the factory would have looked like: do the airside and PD cars use the same outlets? Do they use the same air charging lines? If not, were both systems in use at the same time? I have found some evidence that they were used at the same time - a very grainy photo of a PD hopper with what appears to be an airside or dry flo in the background. But it's very hard to make out and it could be any type of ribbed hopper.

One thing in sure of is the PD hopper would be seen with ACF Pressureaid in the familiar blue hockey stick theme lettered for PCIX. I believe these were from Interstate Brands after their takeover of Continental Baking in the 90's. I am also sure these cars did use the same loading and unloading equipment as the PD cars since they used the same loading areas in Natick.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2016, 12:36:29 AM »
Ryan:  I agree on the N-compatible Z/Nn3 coupler, but if they make it similar to the 1015, I hope they make the box thinner.  The 1015 looks rather bulky, vertically, compared to the 1025, and the 903 is even thinner than the 1025.  Another problem for a truly compatible coupler is that the 1015 and 1025 have the screw 1/8 inch from the end of the car, and the 903 is 3/32. 

The 903 box is already small enough to fit where the 1015 does, with a shim to correct the mounting height, so if they could make a new shank, with the pivot further from the knuckle, that would solve the mounting problem.  A box with a slightly thicker lid would solve the height problem, and it wouldn't hang as low as the 1015, so would look better.

Since many don't like the 1025's "slinky" effect, as long as they're redesigning the shank to move the hole, they might as well put the spring in front of the post, like the 1015.  It doesn't matter to me, as I like the 1025s.

N Kalanaga
Be well

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2016, 12:48:29 AM »
+1
Wow...almost to 200 respect points now, Peteski! The man with the golden keyboard...or is it the avatar? At this point you could probably just sneeze and earn 'em. ;)

I'm amazed myself.   I must have not been my usually snarky-self.   :D  Or the avatar is working better than I expected.  8)

Ah-choo!
. . . 42 . . .

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +989
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2016, 12:49:43 AM »
Ryan:  I agree on the N-compatible Z/Nn3 coupler, but if they make it similar to the 1015, I hope they make the box thinner.  The 1015 looks rather bulky, vertically, compared to the 1025, and the 903 is even thinner than the 1025.  Another problem for a truly compatible coupler is that the 1015 and 1025 have the screw 1/8 inch from the end of the car, and the 903 is 3/32. 

The 903 box is already small enough to fit where the 1015 does, with a shim to correct the mounting height, so if they could make a new shank, with the pivot further from the knuckle, that would solve the mounting problem.  A box with a slightly thicker lid would solve the height problem, and it wouldn't hang as low as the 1015, so would look better.

Since many don't like the 1025's "slinky" effect, as long as they're redesigning the shank to move the hole, they might as well put the spring in front of the post, like the 1015.  It doesn't matter to me, as I like the 1025s.

The primary reason I desire a 1015 compatible 903 coupler is that so many cars  are now coming with integral 1015/16 style coupler boxes and it would eliminate the need to carve them away.
other then that I agree with you completely.
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2016, 12:52:27 AM »
That was the tail end of life for the Wonder Bread cars. They were all returned to their lessor in the early 90's and replaced with Trinity/NACC PD5125 cars. The airside cars would have been refurbished (probably in light blue with the dark blue GATX) vertical logo) or scraped. WBs first PD5125 cars were built in 1984 (5501XX series with block font). Their later cars were numbered in the 5503XX in roman font. The car numbers were not consecutive and not listed in the equipment register, but I think there were less than a dozen PD cars total. There may have been more airside cars due to their lower capacity. But again these tend not to make it into the register. The latest Morning Sun X car book has a few photos.

I have been trying to determine if the PD and airside cars ever ran together, and what the hookup at the factory would have looked like: do the airside and PD cars use the same outlets? Do they use the same air charging lines? If not, were both systems in use at the same time? I have found some evidence that they were used at the same time - a very grainy photo of a PD hopper with what appears to be an airside or dry flo in the background. But it's very hard to make out and it could be any type of ribbed hopper.

One thing in sure of is the PD hopper would be seen with ACF Pressureaid in the familiar blue hockey stick theme lettered for PCIX. I believe these were from Interstate Brands after their takeover of Continental Baking in the 90's. I am also sure these cars did use the same loading and unloading equipment as the PD cars since they used the same loading areas in Natick.

Yep, by 92/93 the cars were ratty looking and then disappeared.  I don't remember the 5125's in the WB scheme.

SD452XR

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2016, 05:38:42 PM »
Did Milw Road, Northern Pacific, Great Northern and CB&Q have this car?

Steve