Author Topic: Thunder Ridge in Z  (Read 8184 times)

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
Re: Thunder Ridge in Z
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 07:20:42 PM »
+1
It's all 195, but I haven't noticed any trouble.  This is just a practice layout anyway.  On Thunder Ridge, the minimum radius is 15" (Equivalent to ~20" in N Scale)

Here's the latest update on "Bean Mountain".  Took some spray paints to the mountains. 

Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +125
    • IG
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 11:46:29 PM »
Ok gotcha!  :D
So the actual Thunder Ridge will be much bigger, cool...
I know 490mm is just above 19" radius, so are you using sectional or the 3D printed ties, Which look really cool...
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 01:23:32 AM »
Yeah, I'll be using the 3D printed ties with Code 40 rail on the real thing.

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2016, 01:56:52 AM »
+1
Things are starting to grow!

Progress run-by

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
    • IG
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2016, 02:11:42 AM »
Looks good, (and a bit on the yellow side  :P )
How do the ACes traverse the 195mm curves?
I am still teetering on buying one, but kinda want a KCS SB ACe... But I have no idea when they will come out... (and pray I'll have money when they do... )
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2016, 12:24:01 PM »
+1
That's indoor lighting for ya.  Here's a little better white balance.

The ACe is shipped with truck mounted couplers which extend through the front/rear.  The steps then limits their ability to swivel, but still allows just enough so that they can make the 195mm curves. 
They also include two snap-on parts to convert over to body mounted couplers.  It requires that you cut off the coupler pocket from the truck, which then allows much more swivel freedom.  They also include a third truck, I assume to allow you to keep a truck-mounted coupler option available after cutting the coupler off the other two.     

Here's the comparison between truck mount and body mount.  The front trucks swivel is maxed out on each.  If you cut the couplers off both front and back you can see it could definitely handle some crazy sharp curves. 
But, ya know.. just because it's possible doesn't mean you should. ;)  (Run sharp curves; definitely convert over to body mounts though!)

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
    • IG
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2016, 03:22:35 PM »
Thanks for the info, unfortunately I won't be able to use it on any BNSF equipment anytime soon, blew out a tire and had to go buy 4 new tires so good bye train budget...
I do really appreciate the link you sent me via PM btw... Thanks for looking out!
(I hope nothing happens when I go to buy KCS units)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 02:35:51 PM by nscaler711 »

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2016, 02:27:03 PM »
+4
Beautiful sunny day out at Bean Mountain. 
Just a few small areas left to cover with ground foam, then trees, the river, ballast and then we're done!

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 07:30:21 PM »
+1
Added the first bit of trees a few days ago, some deadfall, and scratchbuilt the first of two bridges. 

I just love how a few dead sticks brings everything to life!

Very simple styrene H beam bridge.  The only issue is the track begins to curve mid-bridge, and therefore includes a joint.  I'm debating whether to cut the ballast away from the track and add bridge ties (not sure how to handle the joint) or try to disguise the molded ballast somehow.  I might also just plank the bridge deck and ballast the track all the way through, but not sure how that would look on this type of bridge. 

Back to the main topic, my 3D printed code 40 Z Scale flex ties arrive tomorrow!  (Along with something new).  Can't wait to see how they turned out!

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 10:26:40 PM »
I'd remove the ballast, raise the bridge a little and run the naked ties and rails over the bridge.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2016, 01:58:07 AM »
You could build a ballasted deck pony truss bridge.  Any type of bridge can have a ballasted deck, no problem there.  And, as long as the bridge is wide enough for clearance, curved track on a ballasted deck through bridge isn't any problem either.  I'd deck the bridge with either timbers or a concrete slab, then add "side boards" to contain the ballast, rather than just a flat deck with the ballast.  You need something to keep the ballast from vibrating off the sides. 

You might also trim a little off the edges of the ballast, so that it doesn't taper all the way to the deck.  There should be a nice layer at the side boards, which will also make them a little narrower, and easier to fit between the truss.
N Kalanaga
Be well

pdx1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +333
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2016, 06:30:39 PM »
You also could skew the truss slightly, so the truss on the inside of the curve starts earlier and ends earlier to give more clearance around the end of it.

Peter
Peter

"No one ever died because of a bad question, but bad assumptions can kill"

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2016, 04:20:27 PM »
+2
Took a break from Bean Mountain to play with the 3D Printed Code 40 Z Scale Flex I'll be using on Thunder Ridge.  I'm glad to say they turned out fantastic!

Here's a comparison of a small bit of Code 55 rail next to the Code 40 flex.

The print came out nice and clean with acceptably square tie ends.  And yes, they're 100% to scale on all dimensions.

Just by handling the free piece, I predict working with it will be about half way between working with ME C55 vs Atlas C55.  On my next version, I'll make the spikes on the gaped ends slightly wider to allow that rail to slide more freely.  Currently the friction on either rail is about the same, and you can see how different sections of the strip 'cling' to different rail, causing them to bunch up or spread apart at those breaks. 

My biggest fear was that the material would be too fragile, but this little test bit held up to quite a bit of stress when trying to feed the rail through. 
I'm definitely excited to use it on Thunder Ridge and any other Z project I find myself dabbling in.

When combining it with some crushed rock dust as ballast, I think it looks fantastic!

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 04:24:15 PM by Mark W »

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5475
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2016, 05:05:32 PM »
+1
The C40 looks nice. Have you had a chance to bend it as tight as you need for the layout yet.

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2016, 03:01:24 PM »
+1
Yep.  Stress test time!

Need 15" radius for Thunder Ridge, but here it is down to about 2" radius.