Author Topic: Thunder Ridge in Z  (Read 5127 times)

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +1359
    • Free-moNebraska
Thunder Ridge in Z
« on: May 05, 2016, 12:27:14 AM »
+2
It was just a typical spring day.  I was minding my own business, browsing the web for this and that when suddenly, BAM! there it was.  "Now Available AZL BNSF SD70ACe".
Such a beautiful little thing!  I've always wanted a Z Scale set, and I've got a thing for those BNSF ACe's, but that price tag!  Over the next few days, the ads haunted me.  Everywhere I looked, every site I visited, I kept finding my way back to the AZL ACe.

Enough.  I just had to have it!  I went to MBK, and found just one left; into the cart she goes!  Well I'll need some track, and a few freight cars too!  A couple minutes later I'm all set to spark the fire, click "Checkout".

"Oh no! There was a problem.  One of the items is no longer in stock."  NOOOOooo!   It was the ACe!  Someone sniped it before I completed checkout!

Now I was in panic mode.  Z Scale Monster?  Gone.  BLW? Gone. Caboose Hobbies? Gone.  I didn't know where else to check, but then trusty Google found her.  Zgauge.com had that last two available, one of each road number!  I didn't waste my time, I even considered grabbing both numbers, but I resisted.  Once she arrived, it was Christmas morning!

I was hooked.  Now I had to have the other number; you can't have just one!  But this time it was no use.  They were all gone.  I even emailed Jeff back at Zgauge.com for the slight chance that he still has one unlisted, but no luck.

Nonetheless, I still had one prize!  Now what?  Lately I've been feeling the "MC Effect".  Free-moNebraska is going strong as ever, but that leaves me without a home layout to dabble with at will.  I was quickly filled with the excitement of a clean slate on a new project. 

I've got plenty of room for a little shelf layout in the workshop, especially in Z!  Should I go briefcase?  2x4? Heck, 2x8, 2x10?  No, I knew all along exactly what to do.  My old college layout Thunder Ridge met a premature end in that cramped little apartment in San Francisco.  I loved everything about that layout.  And with that, it gives me great pleasure to say that Thunder Ridge will live again!

I've made some slight adjustments, and things are still fluid in the track plan, but official construction will begin this Friday. 

And if that wasn't enough, just as I finished the layout previz I got an email from Jeff back at Zgauge.com.  AZL released some reserve stock of the BNSF ACe and he'll have one of the second road number coming my way!  Best customer service I've had in years; Thanks Jeff!

I can't wait to get started!

Support CGNscale on Patreon!

Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +226
Re: Thunder Ridge in Z
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 12:32:38 AM »
+1
I loved visiting Thunder Ridge, even if took up most of your bedroom/living room!  Look forward to seeing its resurrection in Z
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +538
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 12:48:22 PM »
Exciting!  Like being a kid again.  :)

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 11:36:21 PM »
+1
And just like that, we have benchwork!

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +2429
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 11:48:05 PM »
+2
I've had good results using 1/8" (or thicker) Masonite as roadbed for Z hand laid track

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Proactive advocate of truthiness
  • Respect: +133
    • Modutrak
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 03:46:36 PM »
+2
Nice!  But as a warning, I've been down this road and it doesn't end well!   :D

There's a lot you can do with BNSF in Z.  The only thing that slowed me down was modern GE power.  A Dash-9 would really complete the roster...
Mike

www.modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure...

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +226
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 03:53:03 PM »
How deep are you going to make the canyon this time?
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 04:54:13 PM »
+1
The only thing that slowed me down was modern GE power.  A Dash-9 would really complete the roster...

AZL is doing an ES44AC, due out Q3/4 this year I believe.  :)

Rick, I'm thinking about 12-14 inches on the canyon.  About 70-80 scale meters. 

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 05:52:25 PM »
+3
Does it still count as hand laying if I cheat with 3D printed Code 40 Flex ties?

First sample showed up today!  My design is too tight and weak on the spike heads, but proof of concept shows there is PLENTY of room to reinforce and add tolerance before interfering with wheel flanges. 

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +83
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 07:50:45 PM »
Very cool on the tie-strip Mark!

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 11:36:13 PM »
Here's a comparison.

At the top, Kato N Unitrack, then Atlas N C55 flex, Rokuhan Z Track (C55), and finally the 3D printed Z C40 flex.

I've already updated the design based on the proof of concept findings and am expecting the next batch to be ready for release!

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +382
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 12:25:28 AM »
@Mark W
You may want to test it in that new black plastic/resin to see how it renders. 
I would think painting black ties would be easier than doing the same to translucent ties, IMO.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 03:00:52 PM »
+3
While waiting for the next batch of 3D printed Code 40 Flex ties to arrive before I can begin on the main layout, I decided to throw together a small diorama layout using Rokuhan snap track.

I came up with this track plan using just two Oval Starter Sets.  (Oh yeah, the second ACe arrived!)

Ended up with a bean shaped slice of foam for the benchwork, then really just started gluing scraps in place. 

Used a saw bit and dremel to carve out the mountains.   

And here we are with the base coat. 

Torsion

• Respect: +3
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 03:15:29 PM »
Looks good, you've done a nice job with those mountains.

nscaler711

• Crew
  • Oh Hi, How are you? Because I'm a Potato.
  • Respect: +32
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 07:02:59 PM »
Not bad, but with as sharp as some of those curves are, you may want to run 4 axle locos instead.
I don't know how the ACes are yet, but my 75M bogs down a bit on r195 curves, and that horseshoe curve you have looks sharper than that. But I can't tell for sure because I don't the general dimensions either... So what do I know... :D

(I am patiently waiting for the KCS ACes though... )
Science isn't about why, it's about why not. Why is so much of our science dangerous? Why not marry safe science if you love it so much? In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired! Not you, test subject, you're doing fine.