Author Topic: Bmann NW2 twin beam headlight question  (Read 1070 times)

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
Bmann NW2 twin beam headlight question
« on: April 22, 2016, 11:49:13 PM »
 Hi,
  If you have the twin beam headlight version, do you notice they're not lit evenly? The top lens is darker than the bottom one. I have 2 units, and both are the same. LED not aimed correctly?  It is annoying to look at. DC or DCC, same problem.
 Your thoughts?
 Joe D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 01:25:01 PM by GaryHinshaw »

Joetrain59

• Crew
Re: Bmann NW2 twin beam headlight question
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 10:49:10 PM »
Took the shell off my black/yellow loco, after programming long address. (shell needs to be washed, excess lube oil). I can clearly see both leds are aimed way down. How would one be able to adjust them a bit, while keeping 2 solder joints "fluid" at same time?
 Thanks,
 Joe D

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 01:14:54 AM »
I don't know what soldering skills you have and what type of soldering iron you have.  I also assume that the LED is a surface-mount component. I think that the best way to do this is to put a small blob of solder on the tip of the iron then alternately touch the both solder pads under the LED until the solder melts on both pads. Once the solder melts you can flick the LED away from the PC board.

Next clean the solder pads on the PC board (using solder wick) and find the LED that you flicked off.  If its solder pads are clean, then you can solder it back to the PC board at whatever angle you want.  You will probably need to hold the LED with tweezers while you are positioning and soldering it.

Once you solder one pad (and are sure it is properly positioned) you can let go off it with the tweezers and solder the other pad.  Just dont' dwell on soldering the 2nd pad or the solder on the 1st pad will also melt and the LED might move.
. . . 42 . . .

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 01:28:39 AM »
Yes, Pete, they are SMD's and I have been successfull at soldering them. I have the IsoTip cordless iron with the very fine tip for this job. I was hoping to just reposition SMD on board. I'll see if I can try it later in the day.
 Thanks,
 Joe D

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 02:15:24 AM »
Yes, Pete, they are SMD's and I have been successfull at soldering them. I have the IsoTip cordless iron with the very fine tip for this job. I was hoping to just reposition SMD on board. I'll see if I can try it later in the day.
 Thanks,
 Joe D

The problem is that to reposition you need to melt the solder on both pads and keep it molten while you are repositioning the LED. I find it easier to just start from scratch. But if you feel up for it try holding the LED with tweezers while heating up both solder pads.
. . . 42 . . .

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 01:46:44 AM »
The latter method worked, but twin beams still not equally bright. Something else must be going on. Might have to just live with it.
 Joe D

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 01:09:26 AM »
I'm wondering if a 2x3 SM LED might be the answer. Would have to use some Ngineering magnet wire to make connections, I think. Busy weekend coming up, so don't know when I can get to it.
 Joe D