Author Topic: A free-moN version of the WBTR  (Read 24422 times)

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +989
Re: A free-moN version of the WBTR
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2016, 11:45:19 PM »
Karl that is spectacular :) represents that section of the line nicely!
and I like how the roadways provide visual breaks between the scenes.

One thing I would add is the spur on the south side of the tracks at Lexington Ave. visible in this 1991 aerial photo.

http://geo.lib.umn.edu/ramsey_county/y1991/3130-96.jpg

I found this photo of a eastbound Soo transfer passing the New Brighton depot in 1979. Other interesting detail is the Soo was double track crossing the Minnesota Transfer!

The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1935
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2016, 12:37:51 AM »
Ryan is right, in fact the bridges through that stretch are all still two tracks wide. When I get home from work tomorrow, I'll add the second main and the south side spur in Arden Hills.
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2016, 02:18:33 AM »
+1
Man, you guys are amazing, restores my faith in the N scale community. LOL

Looking at the plan that Karl drew up,, I adapted the drawing using 3rd Plan-it,, plus I added another industry.

This is coming together nicely,, can't wait to see what else Karl comes up with. I was thinking , that I need to put a runaround somewhere to get the cars from Cardigan Jct. to serve the industries. Maybe somewhere in Cardigan,, making it a shove move to spot the industries. Thoughts?

Thanks, guys!!

Adios, Wyatt

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1296
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2016, 09:55:35 AM »
Hmmm?
A run around somewhere?
To serve the industries in Uni Ave, a shove from Cardigan would work nice with the exception of the one industry on the vertical section on the Uni Ave module. You have one industry that would need a run around, UNLESS you carry that car behind the loco when you make the shove?

I can see an escape track in one or both yards though, that is unless you plan to add more modules to both yards? Of course giving the fact that Karl may not be done yet?

Realizing this is probably still a draft and a work in progress, the left leg of the wye coming from the New Brighton yard, could it be shortened a bit or is there further plans?
My thoughts are if this is the group of modules that will be setup most of the time, then it needs to be a bit more self-contained so it can be opt'ed without always having to setup the other modules.

This plan at first glance looks kind of thin in the skin for trackage, but I do know that sometimes "More is Less" and if you make things too easy, it can become almost boring to operate.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2016, 10:48:17 AM »
I was thinking , that I need to put a runaround somewhere to get the cars from Cardigan Jct. to serve the industries. Maybe somewhere in Cardigan,, making it a shove move to spot the industries. Thoughts?
Adios, Wyatt

@BOK I think we could use your assistance. How did the prototype Soo serve the industries along Lexington Ave?
What did they do when they needed a "run around" move?

Also when was the double track removed? and what was its limits? was the line two tracks from Cardigan Jct to New Brighton?

Wyatt, I like how your plan is coming together, I would probably shorten the MNNR interchange track to be more like it is on Karl's plan. It would sacrifice a little proto-fidelity but create more of a separation between the areas.

Also if you look at the building that the spur you added serves it has a L shaped area that the track fit in, I'm not sure if the track went into the building or not but I think shortening your spur and representing the shape of this building would add interest.

Very excited with how this is progressing... :)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2016, 11:39:32 AM »
Something to think about if you do plan to set up with a Free-moN group is to design the two yards to fit back-to-back.  This could include a third section as well.  Would create a few more setup opportunities.

Jason

soo

• Crew
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2016, 02:15:43 PM »
+1
After talking with Allen,, came up some more ideas.

This one has a second main and also a runaround. With Allen's suggestion I angled the University Ave area on the pic below.

The more and more noodling that goes on,, this is becoming really exciting!!! :D :D :D

Just for grins,,, a 3D shot

Laters, Wyatt

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2016, 03:10:13 PM »
With Allen's suggestion I angled the University Ave area on the pic below.

Laters, Wyatt

Looking great! I'm really starting to love this plan, can't wait to see it :) be sure to include the Two Freeway underpasses Karl suggested in his plan and you have it made :) I'll keep my eyes open for pictures that show structures...  :)

One little nit to pick... University Ave is nowhere near that industrial park... I think you mean Lexington Ave or Arden Hills.

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2016, 03:29:27 PM »
Another thought, possibly leaning away from fidelity and towards compression, you could move the Uni Ave "L" to the left which would give a bit more room between Uni Ave and New Brighton.  In doing so you could compress the three leads to the left end of the siding.
Not to scale.

soo

• Crew
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2016, 04:00:37 PM »
+1
Well I fixed the naming error.

There ya go

Laters, Wyatt

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2016, 07:52:14 PM »
Seems like a run around at both ends, maybe one on the peninsula (where you already have multiple tracks, and could just insert a turnout, would allow you to keep single track for a more branch line feel, no?

Anyway, quick work as usual, and doing a nice job of not putting in too much track!

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1935
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2016, 08:49:43 PM »
+1
I think adding trackage that wasn't there will diminish from the look. you can always add the other ends of the yards for full operations, but one of the photos Ryan posted gave me a good idea. The 1985 shots from NB showed a cool track arrangement. To this day there are cabooses staged at Cardigan for shoving platforms to get to the various industries in the area. It would be fun to use that on the layout. Engines don't always end up in the front for ops. I like the look of the tilted peninsula, but it will tighten up your walkway on the NB side. 35W will make a nice scene divider. I also put both industries on the segment joint, so the buildings will hide the seam (I think about things like that).
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

That being said, one could sneak a couple extra switches into Arden Hills. It would make your ops way to easy. But it has to make you happy.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 08:57:56 PM by jpwisc »
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2016, 09:47:52 PM »
I think adding trackage that wasn't there will diminish from the look. you can always add the other ends of the yards for full operations, but one of the photos Ryan posted gave me a good idea. The 1985 shots from NB showed a cool track arrangement. To this day there are cabooses staged at Cardigan for shoving platforms to get to the various industries in the area. It would be fun to use that on the layout. Engines don't always end up in the front for ops. I like the look of the tilted peninsula, but it will tighten up your walkway on the NB side. 35W will make a nice scene divider. I also put both industries on the segment joint, so the buildings will hide the seam (I think about things like that).
(Attachment Link)

Wyatt... This is about as good as you can hope for, Karl has the trackwork just about perfect for the 1970s/80s
and you can always use the crossovers at either end to do a run around move... imho stick to the proto trackplan
of course ad the Bell pole siding to the Transfer yard :)

« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 09:49:23 PM by Missaberoad »

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2016, 12:26:40 AM »

Karl,
Question?
The two turnouts you placed in Arden Hills, if you would make those a left hand pair, wouldn't that flow a bit smoother and make better use of the siding for the building on the left?
Or did you plan it that way?

Also about the small siding above New Brighton, is that proto?  If so isn't it a bit redundant or is there a purpose for that small siding other than a run around?

Just curious?