Author Topic: TOMYTEC The World Bus Collection - technical review  (Read 14885 times)

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
Re: TOMYTEC The World Bus Collection - technical review
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2016, 07:10:03 AM »
If I were to buy the motorized version of this bus it would need to be able to cross my railroad tracks in at least 4 places. Any thoughts on how to do that?

By the way the side windows on the WOT bus look weird to me.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2016, 03:52:56 PM »
If I were to buy the motorized version of this bus it would need to be able to cross my railroad tracks in at least 4 places. Any thoughts on how to do that?

Let's hope your bus just doesn't turn right at the railroad tracks.  That never goes over well.

:D :D :D

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2016, 04:16:52 PM »

By the way the side windows on the WOT bus look weird to me.

They are weird - one long clear panel with thin divisions printed on it. (see next 2 posts).

I have seen Faller system vehicles made to cross RR tracks. Not sure how that was done. Probably by burying small sections of the guide wire in all the possible spots ion the crossing.  TOMYTEC buses use very strong magnet so this might be even less of a problem than with Faller.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:10:52 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2016, 12:03:08 AM »
They are weird - one long clear panel with thin divisions printed on it....

Wait, the WOT bus or the CMW bus?? I don't see what you're talking about on the WOT bus based on the previous link.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2016, 12:10:19 AM »
Wait, the WOT bus or the CMW bus?? I don't see what you're talking about on the WOT bus based on the previous link.

Sorry, I got confused myself. I thought Catt was describing CMW bus.

Looks like I have been confused about this from earlier on. I apologize to all involved.  I compared TOMYTEC and CMW buses (since they seem to be closely related). The WoT bus is a bit different and I guess I didn't pick up on the fact that it was injected into this thread way earlier.  I don't think I even own one of those so I can't even compare it to the TOMYTEC bus. But from photos the WoT bus seems to be better (proportions and level of detail) than the CMW bus.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:16:39 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2016, 12:21:51 AM »
Petski,

The "standard" tire for the mid 1950s GM Scenicruiser was the 11.00 X 19.  The overall diameter of the tires mounted on the rims would have been approximately 40 inches.  That is the only bus in which I had the specs for the tires handy.   :)

Carter

Thanks Carter.
The TOMYTEC bus has the overall tire diameter of 41.3" (0.258"), while CMW bus' tires are 34.7" (0.217"). So CMW model's tires are undersize by quite a bit. They look it.
. . . 42 . . .

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2016, 04:46:38 PM »
+3
Since the question of how the Wheels of Time bus would look next to the TomyTec bus, I managed to shoot some comparison photos with the 2012 release "generic" Classic Metal Works bus.

Probably not necessary, but the Wheels of Time Mack C49 is on the left, The TomyTec GM TDH 4512 is in the middle and the Classic Metal Works GM TD 3610 is on the right.

Carter
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/