Author Topic: Athearn F59PH Issues  (Read 1412 times)

MetroRedLine

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
    • Union Pacific Vallealmar Subdivision (Facebook Page)
Athearn F59PH Issues
« on: April 16, 2016, 02:22:26 PM »
I have an Athearn F59PHI (DCC + Tsunami sound equipped) that stalls constantly on my track, particularly in turnouts. After the first stall or two, when I push it, the loco runs through the rest of the layout at a faster speed, without stalling, but it does not respond to any throttle settings.

Now, before you assume it's because of dirty track or unjuiced frogs, I have another Athearn F59PHI, also with DCC sound, that runs just fine and doesn't stall. The only apparent difference between the two are the roadname that's painted on.

I took to opening up the problem loco and couldn't see any issues with contact. Is there something I should look for? I also opened up the trucks to access the gears and there's more grease in that thing than the stove of a roadside diner, could that be a factor?
Under the streets of Los Angeles

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
Re: Athearn F59PH Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 06:32:29 PM »
This sounds like a decoder issue. Is it making any excessive gear noise?
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

MetroRedLine

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 12:49:11 AM »
This sounds like a decoder issue. Is it making any excessive gear noise?

I don't notice any gear noise. When it does run (in between the pauses), it seems to sound normal.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 06:57:39 AM »
I would try powering the motor directly to see if it has any issues. If it runs normally, then you probably have a bad decoder. If your lucky, the decoder may just be shorting on a crimped wire or has a bad soldering joint. These can be fixed. If not, then you are looking at a new decoder.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 11:31:19 AM »
If it tends to stall in turnouts or at particular spots on the layout and the track is indeed clean, that makes me think that perhaps one of the trucks is not providing proper or constant pickup. Might need to clean or realign the point of contact between the truck contacts and the contact strips on the chassis, if you have not already.

You also mentioned excessive grease. If the contacts above are fine, I suppose it's also possible that the contact point between the wheels and the trucks need to be cleaned, especially if this grease is getting dirty. I can't remember off the top of my head if this loco has the typical axle point cup style contacts or not.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 11:46:14 AM by tehachapifan »

jprince46

• Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 06:19:52 PM »
I had the exact problem with a sound equipped engine. It was the rear truck that was not making good contract with the copper strips (Kato P42).  I cleaned the contact and strip and all was well.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 08:29:51 PM »
Most locos come over-lubtricated for the factory.  :x

I agree with the previous post that the problem is most likely with the power pickup at the truck or at the wheelset level.  Probably the entire truck that has a problem (most likely at the area of the contact between the truck and the chassis/frame).

. . . 42 . . .

MetroRedLine

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 01:42:31 AM »
I think I got the problem solved, though I don't know how exactly :) I dismantled the chassis, cleaned out all the grease from the trucks, cleaned the contact strips with contact spray and put it back together. When I ran it, the problem was the same. But after re-seating the decoder (sliding it all the way to the end and backing off a bit), the max speed hiccup no longer happens when it stalls.