Author Topic: WOT 80' Baggage-Horse Car Announced, Fall Delivery  (Read 2911 times)

pdx1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +170
Re: WOT 80' Baggage-Horse Car Announced, Fall Delivery
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2016, 12:32:56 PM »
Wolf, since you're an espee guy, I'm thinking I have an excuse to own one of these for an occasional use on the UP Pony Express circa 1947-51. Do I go Olive or TTG? When did they first get the TTG scheme? Thanks!
Otto K.

Since SP-Wolf hasn't replied to you, you should go with the olive green scheme for your time period. The two-tone gray scheme was introduced in 1954.
Peter

"No one ever died because of a bad question, but bad assumptions can kill"

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +45
Re: WOT 80' Baggage-Horse Car is worth the wait.
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2016, 04:22:04 PM »
                   :|   Yes WOT has really done their homework on these and I mean it not like in my Bachmann Car post. My Solid Gray car features modernized doors with single streamlined windows and modern  non wood  ply metal construction there are delicate little freestanding roof end grabs . The historical dada on the box bottoms gives the histories of the various cars including Santa Fe Chair Car conversions and the fact that the Solid Gray car was retired in 1971.Where they were operated in the train depending if they were used as horse cars or in Daylight baggage service is given. The history information mentions  that the end doors were for loading horse owners automobiles. The Wheels of Time cars were definitely worth the wait. Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.   :|

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +644
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2017, 10:15:53 PM »
Well, I finally got mine, and I'm impressed. WoT has done a great job replicating a unique prototype.
Pic below.
Otto K
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 10:40:32 PM by Cajonpassfan »

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2017, 10:39:15 PM »
No pic below, the uploader isn't uploading :|
Still not uploading today....is it me or TRW?
Otto

It's TRW.   -gfh
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 11:45:08 PM by Cajonpassfan »

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2017, 11:59:10 PM »
+1
Okay, we seem to be back in the pic uploading business... :D
So the WoT SP car is truly wonderful. Great! WoT also makes these in a foob ATSF scheme, and other foobs. I think that's fine if it helps sell and finance other proto based models.
The pics below show an ATSF horse car model built with Roberto Martari beautiful etched stainless sides over a Rivarossi core. It's similar to the WoT car, but also has some very unique ATSF features. Seeing them side by side provides nice contrast and variety I think...
Otto K.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +248
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2017, 10:59:11 AM »
While not specific to the SP prototype, thought I would bring to your attention that a member of the ATSF discussion group on Yahoo has put a copy of a Santa Fe horse car brochure (1938) in the group files section.  You may need to join the group to get access to it, but that would be worth it if you are interested in the operation of horse cars.  Has a lot of info on how the cars operated, plus photos of interiors.  Also testimonials from several customers, that demonstrate that the cars traveled all over the USA.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ATSF/files/ATSF_Horse_Cars_Pamphlet%281938%29%20/
Tom D.

Some things are better left unsaid. Which I generally realize right after I have said them.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2017, 10:10:39 AM »
Thanks for the link Tom, very interesting and useful info. One of the letters from the late thirties references the use of the car on the Chief from Chicago to Santa Anita....wow, what a way for horses to travel! Still, I think the secondary passenger trains, like the Grand Canyon, would have been more typical for handling these cars, and i suspect similar practices on other roads, including the SP. It's also interesting to note that some stables used up to five (!) horse cars in one shipment.
Otto K.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 10:12:42 AM by Cajonpassfan »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2024
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2017, 11:49:15 AM »
good enough for me

thanks!

Dude. You need a racetrack on the layout!

There's a killer article in the current PRR T&HS mag about the ones that were local here. One could be quite a fun addition. They raced horses in Ohio, right?

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2017, 05:57:21 PM »
+1
Dude! Thanks for the note about the Keystone Modeler. I sometimes forget what an incredible publication that is, with tons of material useful even for non-SPF's like me. And it's free on line! Amusing to note that the immaculate PENNSY horse car on the cover is neatly lettered "Del Mar Turf Club". That would be Del Mar, CA, north of San Diego... 8)
Otto

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +832
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2017, 06:41:33 PM »
Wolf, since you're an espee guy, I'm thinking I have an excuse to own one of these for an occasional use on the UP Pony Express circa 1947-51. Do I go Olive or TTG? When did they first get the TTG scheme? Thanks!
Otto K.

And - @pdx1955
Since SP-Wolf hasn't replied to you, you should go with the olive green scheme for your time period. The two-tone gray scheme was introduced in 1954.

Wow - Otto,

I am so sorry for not responding -- I totally missed your question. Believe me, I was not ignoring you.

My apologies,
Wolf

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2017, 07:02:14 PM »
Lol Wolf, no problem. Unless you tell me that I could have had the TTG car for March '51 as I like that paintscheme... :P
Otto

SP-Wolf

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2017, 09:28:13 PM »
Lol Wolf, no problem. Unless you tell me that I could have had the TTG car for March '51 as I like that paintscheme... :P
Otto

Hi Otto,

Thank you!! And, you are good to go with dark olive. TTG came in the mid to late 50's

Wolf

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2017, 10:47:12 PM »
Thanks Wolf, that's the advice I was given, but it's nice to get a confirmation. It's a gorgeous car, and I'm happy to own one even if I don't model the eSPee. I'm thinking it must have found its way on one of the UP secondary trains into or out of SoCal at least occasionally :P
Thanks for your help,
Otto

SP-Wolf

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2017, 09:10:44 AM »
Thanks Wolf, that's the advice I was given, but it's nice to get a confirmation. It's a gorgeous car, and I'm happy to own one even if I don't model the eSPee. I'm thinking it must have found its way on one of the UP secondary trains into or out of SoCal at least occasionally :P
Thanks for your help,
Otto

Good morning Otto,

Yes, WOT offering's are outstanding. I also think that scenario is very plausible. Hey, it's your railroad!! LOL On occasion UP and ATSF power find their way over my SP coast line railroad. So, why the heck not.... have fun with it. (The one thing I have a hard time with - is running equipment that is out of my modeling era -- just my thing) -- And, I do have plenty of equipment that is out of my era.

Wolf

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +384
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2017, 12:41:30 PM »
I definitely had to have a couple, both in the TTG scheme, but with each of the door/window configs (I also reserved a number of the new release UP and Espee 60' baggages.
Since my ultimate aim is to model the LA River area, as a central point, I need all three players (ATSF will be the BIG player)
Bruce
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
NTRAK Board of Directors
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

[/ur