Author Topic: .  (Read 4825 times)

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1252
Re: N scale freight wheel & coupler recommendations please
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2016, 10:13:53 PM »
...For an operating model railroad, Bob is also correct that given enough time (money really isn't an issue, since hand-laid track is often cheaper than commercial track; detail parts are not very expensive, etc.), one can make a "bullet-proof" operating model railroad that also looks incredibly realistic.  As Bob notes, it all boils down to an individual's choices and what compromises one is happy with or willing to live with.  I think Bob's work is amazing, but I'd never have the patience to replicate his attention to detail.  I know that, so I've made my peace with it :)

John C.

Thanks John, and I think John's work is amazing and reference it when installing sound in my locos quite often as he is "The Expert" when it comes to DCC sound in N-scale.  Also, as opposed to me, John has an operating layout...and although parts of mine are finished and/or operational, it's going to be a while before I consider the whole layout to be operational...part of that "time" I choose to sacrifice for details means it takes me a lot longer to get a project finished...and which makes me happy most of the time...until I want to run a train around the layout!!

The one N-scale modeler whose trackwork and efforts for prototype fidelity in all of his projects and whose photos I examine closely and who I refer to others to look at...is Ed Nadolski.  Truthfully, Ed's work is the apex, so take a peek at his work by referencing him on this forum as ednadolski and take a look at his N-scale, fully detailed turnout project for an example of "ultimate detailing"...  :)  ...and also at his super detailing efforts on cars and engines.  I think "humbling" would be an appropriate word.

Lots of other experts here too and I always learn something valuable when they post a thread...

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2016, 10:50:06 PM »
+1
The only reason I care about the operation issue is these cars will probably be sold
off and I wanted them to be useful to the new owners.

That's easy then: Stick with the MT couplers.  It's the de facto standard and no one will want to buy anything else, even if it is more accurate and closer to scale (least of all some sort of odd duck or force-fit conversion).  Your weathering will be so good that no one will look at the couplers anyway ;)

for ultimate realism, add track details from Proto87's N-scale selections (e.g., individual tie plates).

Personally I would suggest the ME code 40 flextrack.   I've tried the P87 parts, and while I really like the HO spikes for N scale track, I find that the individual Code 40 N-scale tieplates are so small that they really are quite hard to work with  (hard to pick up, and they never seem to want to stay where I put them... whatever you do, don't sneeze near them!).   Plus it is really hard to see them, even in close-up and in photos - they just sort of blend in and disappear, unless you paint them a contrasting color.

Ed

(PS Bob, thanks for your way too-generous comments, BTW where did you want me to leave the suitcase of unmarked $$ this month?) :D

CNscale

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2016, 07:12:58 PM »
... Like several of the other contributors to this thread, I also have standardized my track, and most likely, its appearance is more important to me than most model railroaders.  ...

Bob: your standards are what I aspire to - is there anywhere we can see photos?