Author Topic: Galesburg "City Job"  (Read 51627 times)

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Galesburg "City Job"
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2017, 09:04:12 AM »
Some really great photos here.  Thanks for sharing.  You guys should think about tiling those overheads into a single image as a trackplan sign . . . and as the plan that will be featured prominently when you write this up for publication in MRH or N Scale.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +483
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2017, 11:44:18 AM »
When we write this up? Ha.
Buffering...

nscalemike

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2017, 12:29:03 AM »

Always wanted to see the IC depot in Champaign. I hear division offices used to be upstairs. Reminds me of the depot in Galesburg.

The old entrance ramp to the tracks had a sign that said "no access to the trains", or words to that effect. I trespassed a bit anyway. Down the tracks, and next to the new depot in the distance was parked a CN cop. Certainly understandable given the neighborhood, and terrorism threats, etc. I just could not help but think what a difference 100 years makes (thinking about the 100th anniversary of WW1). Back then, they wanted to welcome people. Today...

Some interesting remnants behind the former freight depot in town too.

It was sad to leave this part of the country as it was our final shows in this vicinity. Life moves on...
[/quote]

Hey, I know that place!  That's my office, just on the other side of those tracks! 

So the big depot on top is the second IC station.  The original depot is the small one down the street in the distance, which was just recently remodeled into a local restaurant.  Very nice inside and pretty good food too.  The 'new' or current station is directly behind the picture, what would be to the south. 

The old signs of railroad life is the old water tank I believe and a freight house I think.  The freight house is pretty neat inside too,  much bigger than it looks from the outside.  Quite the happening place way back when.  They have mostly paved the entire lot, but you can still find some signs of the old tracks going into the area and a little farther north. 

Oh and as far as the no train access and CN cop (which kinda surprises me, never seen one in this area), don't worry about it.  People are up there all the time.  The Amtrak staff park up there too. 

Wish I didn't forget about the Urbana show . . . oh well, maybe next year. 

Mike

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2017, 10:57:38 AM »
Right you are. Here is a shot of the original depot. Whatever they were roasting that morning sure smelled good.  :drool:

This of course, is from the time period before the tracks were raised through town. Here is a shot from those days. Check out the freight depot and water tank, and power house? Ooohh, and an interurban?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-vyrXbElz5DE/UXiw3dbXURI/AAAAAAAAD3c/zMclJgC-98Q/s1600/1921_Downtown+Champaign+Between+1921-1924.jpg

« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 02:11:19 PM by w neal »
Buffering...

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2017, 11:04:05 AM »
... Down the tracks, and next to the new depot in the distance was parked a CN cop. ...

I am deducing a policy change or other directive since the first of the year. CN RR police have been much more visible here in Centralia, too. Plus there is new "no trespassing" signage on the signal cabinets at grade crossings. No problems I have been aware of precipitating this, just that the difference is noticeable. As all such policy changes work, it'll cool off in 12-18 months once they realize they're tilting at windmills and it's costing them money. :|

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2017, 02:15:56 PM »
I have been asked to appear at this year's Trainfest.

Problem: Jim will not be able to attend. The layout may be a disappointment, having 3 modules missing AND no help for me at the show. Its a bit daunting to think about such a huge show with only myself to tend to the layout.  :scared: (full bladder symbol)

Question: Should I "go for it"?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 02:56:02 PM by w neal »
Buffering...

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2017, 12:53:38 PM »
Working on a solo show in early June too. Will keep you posted.
Buffering...

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2017, 01:31:27 PM »
Confirmed. I'll be at the train show in Ralston, NE June 3rd & 4th. BUT, it will be only myself and my five modules. Jim, and his three modules will not be there. I'll be in the balcony with the other layouts I'm told.

Come up and say hello!

Buffering...

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2017, 06:18:21 AM »
+1
See y'all at the Ohio N scale weekend! One week to go.  :scared:
Buffering...

JSL

• Crew
  • In the Heart Of BNSF Country
  • Respect: +4
    • In the Heart Of BNSF Country
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2017, 09:16:00 AM »
Go for them all! With or without Jim!!

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2017, 01:31:43 PM »
+2
I have been asked to appear at this year's Trainfest.

Problem: Jim will not be able to attend. The layout may be a disappointment, having 3 modules missing AND no help for me at the show. Its a bit daunting to think about such a huge show with only myself to tend to the layout.  :scared: (full bladder symbol)

Question: Should I "go for it"?

Just don't be surprised when Trainfest asks you to "volunteer" time at the make-n-take booth per their mandatory schedule... :scared:

Modutrak will not be at Trainfest this year.  We'll concentrate on shows that treat us well. 

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2017, 06:06:26 AM »
Thanks fellas.

Gonna be hard to leave the layout when I'm only one guy.  :-X
Buffering...

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2017, 09:22:46 AM »
Just don't be surprised when Trainfest asks you to "volunteer" time at the make-n-take booth per their mandatory schedule... :scared:

Modutrak will not be at Trainfest this year.  We'll concentrate on shows that treat us well.

This is why everyone should come to RPM - Chicagoland to see both Modutraks. 

Trainfest....  :facepalm:
~ Matt

TLOC

• Crew
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2017, 10:48:12 AM »
Thanks fellas.

Gonna be hard to leave the layout when I'm only one guy.  :-X

I can be of help on Sunday 10 to the end--can even help with the tear down for Trainfest--

Tom

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2017, 11:37:17 AM »
Thanks TLOC. I'll likely take you up on that, perhaps. Your picture looks a bit scary though.  ;)

I'm having trouble with my picture hosting site. For an update on the Ohio N Scale weekend show, I'll refer you to my posting on TB.

http://www.trainboard.com/highball/index.php?threads/its-monday-may-22nd-2017-weekend-modeling-accomplishments.106084/#post-1016121

Ta!

Jim has fears that I am going rogue on him by doing the show in Omaha in 2 weeks on my own. I tried to assure him that I will not be Yoko and spilt up the band. In fact, it'll be very lonely with out his half of the layout there. Bummer. I guess its an experiment.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 11:48:04 AM by w neal »
Buffering...