Author Topic: TomyTec GMC TDH4512 Old Style Bus is the real deal  (Read 3798 times)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4190
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: TomyTec GMC TDH4512 Old Style Bus is the real deal
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 04:02:53 PM »
+1
Geez, it already has working lights?  Where is the fun in that? :|  I guess it is a good thing - one less project to tackle.  :D

It has the lenses in place for functional lights.  The power unit for their operating roadway set has LEDs.  You still have to install LEDs and the electronics in the static model.  But for you and others who are used to lighting miniature models, it's probably under an hour's work.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +985
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 04:09:31 PM »
Geez, it already has working lights?
Maybe we should start a betting pool on which one of the magicians here makes the first one with working doors. 
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 04:29:16 PM »
Tough question.  I think the CDW TD-3610 might be too short to use ouutright.  The TDH-3501 is a later prototype than both the TomyTec and the CDW prototypes.  You have solid-model experience — I'd consider using the nose (up to the fender) and back of the TDH-4512 and RP the middle.  The TomyTec tooling is better than the CDW tooling.  I'm thinking of doing that for a TDM-4507, which I need for NetCo.

I can easily say my bus knowledge has gone up 2000% in just half a day.   :D

Looks like what I want would be more than just taking out the middle.  If hard pressed I'll probably just shorten it and call it good, but that's really only if I can shorten the mechanism too.  After looking at how many places had the TDH-3501, it might be a good one to bug a manufacturer about.

Well the mailman is late today, but isn't he always when I'm waiting for something.

Jason

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4190
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2016, 05:12:37 PM »
I can easily say my bus knowledge has gone up 2000% in just half a day.   :D

Looks like what I want would be more than just taking out the middle.  If hard pressed I'll probably just shorten it and call it good, but that's really only if I can shorten the mechanism too.  After looking at how many places had the TDH-3501, it might be a good one to bug a manufacturer about.

Well the mailman is late today, but isn't he always when I'm waiting for something.

Yeah, you'd have to modify the headlights and the top-center running lights also.  But still easier to start with the TomyTec model than from scratch.

Walthers shows the power chassis as temporarily out of stock.  Hopefully that's a good sign that the buses are moving well for them, unlike their exclusive HO and N CMW buses.  I'll probably hold off on kitbashes until the model is more plentiful.  The ones I have redressed for ConnCo will hold me for a while.

I did email TomyTec to see if they plan on releasing more American prototype models and also more deco schemes on the 4512.  I'll report back if/when I get a response.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Upstate Gator

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 07:13:54 PM »
@bbussey They're not on sale today, but  Walthers was clearancing the CMW buses at $5.98/pair recently in their warehouse sales.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2016, 08:01:20 PM »
Speaking of Los Angeles bus paint schemes, would anyone care/dare to date this photo?
Otto K.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 08:04:45 PM by Cajonpassfan »

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2016, 08:30:30 PM »
Speaking of Los Angeles bus paint schemes, would anyone care/dare to date this photo?
Otto K.
Hill Street?
I should probably spend all night researching cars to get the date.  But I'm gonna go with the streetlights on the left side of the street and guess about 1948 (about the time they would have installed those lights, I think, and only one side of the street has been done- so ongoing project).  Not sure, but I think that is an OK date for the bus paint scheme.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 08:46:51 PM by thomasjmdavis »
Tom D.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5506
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2016, 08:39:56 PM »
Otto K.
That light blue Merc looks customized. I'd say after 1952ish.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2016, 08:49:06 PM »
Of course, it is LA- they might have been shooting a movie in 2011 or something.  Happens occasionally in Chicago- you turn a corner and there is a blocked off street lined with 30s cars and a ton of security.
Tom D.

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2016, 10:13:30 PM »
The Mercury is a 1950 so I would venture 1952 to at least 1956.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +992
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2016, 11:13:08 PM »
LOL!  You can now read minds John?  Yes mine is actually in the mail from MBK (as the matter of fact, to be delivered today according to the tracking info), to be added to many started projects on my workbench and all around the workshop.  Yes, working lights will be the goal.  :P

I've known Peteski long enough to think of him as just Pete, and to suspect that after he lights the bus (including the running lights, of course), he'll also find a way to add a functional simulation of bell cord inside the bus.  As it runs along the Tomix track, it will ding before stopping!

George
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2016, 12:01:45 AM »
Of course, it is LA- they might have been shooting a movie in 2011 or something.  Happens occasionally in Chicago- you turn a corner and there is a blocked off street lined with 30s cars and a ton of security.

Lol, I wondered that too, but the Boos Bros. Cafeteria building was torn down in 1960. It's a view up South Hill Street, looking north, with Pershing Square on the left. I'm thinking 1954-ish?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 12:06:30 AM by Cajonpassfan »

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2016, 02:40:44 AM »
Definitely (early) 50s considering the Merc's vintage and the Coldwell Banker billboard still has an alpha numeric phone number on it.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2016, 02:50:36 AM »
                 :|  Received my two busses from Walthers in the "City Lines" Fruit Salad paint scheme I agree with bbussey +1. Included with the non operating models are two black plastic front and rear extension pieces to go up inside the body if you are attaching it to the powered drive train. This bus looks like later busses operated by "Salt Lake City Lines"(later Utah Transit Authority) who also had earlier GM Models (think Classic Metal Works) with the square windows and even a few pre war "Yellow Coach"/GM busses with the flat front non recessed windshield and wood window frames. The two tone green paint scheme in the Los Angeles photo was adapted in the early 1960's I believe on City Lines fleets nation wide. Salt Lake also received mid 1960's to 70's GM Fish Bowl New Look busses which received a variation of the two tone green paint to Accommodate the decorative fluted side panels. Salt Lake just before they became UTA bought some second hand TDH 4512 busses from LA that had decorative fluted trim strips on the sides , these busses were in the two tone green scheme.                                                                              Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.  :|

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2016, 09:15:31 AM »
Lol, I wondered that too, but the Boos Bros. Cafeteria building was torn down in 1960. It's a view up South Hill Street, looking north, with Pershing Square on the left. I'm thinking 1954-ish?

it looks as if the Cafeteria building is in the pre-stages of being torn down in the pic...there appears to be construction/destruction equipment parked in front...
Bruce
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/