Good Evening,
I happened to pick up an Atlas RS11 (Conrail #7652), and it has me wondering about freight cars during the time it was in service. It looked like this unit was sent to the scrapheap in 1981, so I was wondering if anyone could help with the following questions.
1. How was corn syrup transported prior to the production of the Trinity 17.6K tank car ? I'm modeling a breakfast cereal plant, and I wonder how much corn syrup was used back in the 1970s.
2. What type of 50' boxcars were used during this time? I have quite a few Atlas 50' ACF box cars, but I want to see what other types of 50' box cars were in use during the 1970s.
3. Conrail Atlantic Region Voulme 1 has a nice spread of Allentown Yard on pages 86-87 from 1978. For the Conrail/Eastern/1970s/1980s modelers out there, what percentage of predecessor/fallen flags rolling stock do you run on your layout? In this spread, you can spot a Pennsy hopper, boxcars from numerous roads inherited by Conrail, and C&O hoppers mixed with rolling stock from Conrail and Chessie.
This looks like an interesting era to model, and I hope this gives me some ideas while I wait for some more free time to spend working on my layout.
Thanks,
Adam