Author Topic: Wheels of time flats  (Read 2950 times)

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +115
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 01:58:26 PM by GaryHinshaw »

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +537
Re: Wheels of time flats
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 12:28:39 PM »
It's it me or does that wood deck seem off? Maybe it's the lack of plank detail along the sides or that the deck seems way too thick?
'In my great and unmatched wisdom'

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +547
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 12:48:07 PM »
It's it me or does that wood deck seem off? Maybe it's the lack of plank detail along the sides or that the deck seems way too thick?

Yep, other stuff too.  Wish we could talk about it.   :|

Jason

Dave V

• Crew
  • The Route of the Galloping Goose
  • Respect: +3975
    • Dave Vollmer's N Scale Pennsy
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 01:00:06 PM »
+1

Jason

Go ahead...  If that's the final tooling (I don't know if it is), I would call it fair game.  That's a pretty hi-res photo.  Is the prototype all welded?  I don't see rivets either.

EDIT:  I think we just want to make sure we keep it civil.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 01:03:44 PM by Dave Vollmer »
Silver San Juan Scenic Line

Member SlimRail Modular Colorado Narrow Gauge
http://www.slimrail.net/

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +115
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 01:07:51 PM »
+1
I agree that deck is not very good the flat looks good but haven't seen prototype photos either. But yeah the more I look at the deck the more it jumps out.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +270
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 01:08:46 PM »
+1
The prototype is welded.

http://www.wheelsotime.com/53-6-general-service-flats/http://www.wheelsotime.com/53-6-general-service-flats/

They are using the car to represent cars built between 1943 (MILW) and 1966 (CP) by at least 4 different builders.
Tom D.

"The difference between the difficult and the impossible is that doing the impossible is usually more fun." (my college design professor Russell Whaley)

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 01:38:22 PM »
Go ahead...  If that's the final tooling (I don't know if it is), I would call it fair game.  That's a pretty hi-res photo.  Is the prototype all welded?  I don't see rivets either.

EDIT:  I think we just want to make sure we keep it civil.

It's pre-production model and clearly so (it also says so  :P).  It looks like they may have work themselves into a design corner trying to represent that NYC car with the SP flat.

Jason
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 01:41:43 PM by wcfn100 »

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +61
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 01:40:11 PM »
+1
Hard to tell from the angle, but it seems to ride nice and low.
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1112
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 01:50:06 PM »
+1
Too bad I can't use it, as it's too young for my era.  The deck doesn't bother me, as I would be replacing it with wood anyway so that I could distress it realistically.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 01:56:53 PM »
+1
It's pre-production model and clearly so (it also says so  :P).  It looks like they may have work themselves into a design corner trying to represent that NYC car with the SP flat.

Jason

I get that, but there are varying degrees of "finality" to pre-production models.  How much does the tooling change?  Probably not so much that the deck thickness is going to change.

I'm of the personal opinion (not necessarily representative of the Railwire Mod Corps as a whole) that the voting system will serve to ameliorate the need for specific guidelines on when a model can be criticized in detail.  Several threads last year went seriously toxic (notable examples being the Rapido reefers and the Bachmann K4) so we had to try to sort things out until we could restore the climate.  I've asked my fellow mods for their opinion on this, but I personally don't feel like the Product Discussion needs very much moderation under the new voting system.

With regard to pre-production samples, I think it's fine to discuss them as exactly that--pre-production samples--with the caveat that what we discuss may not make it to the final product.  In fact, I have never tried to squash all pre-production discussion (just overt, mean-spirited bashing) because this could--in some rare cases--be a chance to intercept a fatal flaw in the production product.  Admittedly I was very invested in the K4 threads so I can't say truthfully that my actions therein were completely objective.  So I'm not here to draw lines in the sand anymore...our membership now has a mechanism to provide feedback besides reporting posts to mods.

Discuss away.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +488
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 02:00:39 PM »
Bearing @Dave Vollmer 's advice in mind . . . . I'm not over the moon about the deck but like @bbussey I'll probably replace any factory supplied deck iwth a wood one anyway (I got way too spoiled by the look of the Exactrail wood decked Trinity Bulkhead flat and an ESM custom deck run here a few years ago).

What I don't like is the black paint - it may be proto for the NYC flat, but it makes it hard to see details.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +2810
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 02:32:21 PM »
To new to care  :|

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 02:45:26 PM »
I'm not over the moon about the deck but like @bbussey I'll probably replace any factory supplied deck iwth a wood one anyway

I guess I don't think a thinner deck is worth it to make the car incorrect.   :|

If WOT plans to try and paint on the metal deck plates on the cars that should have them, I hope I didn't pre-order any.  I know I have a couple SP on order.  I'll see if the deck bothers me when I get them.

Jason

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2008
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 03:38:57 PM »

Jason

LOL!  Welcome to the club Jason.  Make sure you have the final product available before making any "constructive" observation.

Sorry Dr. Hot Ballz, I couldn't help myself.  I'll be quiet now.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 03:57:13 PM »
+1
LOL!  Welcome to the club Jason.  Make sure you have the final product available before making any "constructive" observation.

Sorry Dr. Hot Ballz, I couldn't help myself.  I'll be quiet now.

@peteski, please see my posts in this thread.  I would like to move away from the need for draconian rule sets, the existence of which is primarily my fault and is mostly obviated by the voting system.

EDIT:  But I will consider it my duty to point out the folly of critiquing performance of a product that isn't the final production product.  Fair?   :ashat:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 04:13:29 PM by Dave Vollmer »