Author Topic: Can someone explain the connection between ARI and ACF?  (Read 443 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +535
Can someone explain the connection between ARI and ACF?
« on: April 04, 2016, 09:59:08 AM »
I have read both company profiles and both Wikipedia entries. It still confuses the hell out of me. Did ACF really spin off a competitor? Do they share designs and trademarks? I noticed both seem to claim Centerflow as a trademark on their hoppers. But I also get the sense there is a lot of bad blood between the two.
'In my great and unmatched wisdom'

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Respect: +451
Re: Can someone explain the connection between ARI and ACF?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 01:46:13 PM »
Since both ACF and ARI are controlled by Carl Icahn It seems at least at a corporate level there isn't any bad blood.

The ARI website shines a little light on the connection, It's less "spin off a competitor" and more that the two companies are divisions of the same while legally being separate companies, as for the why side of the question I would only be speculating...

American Railcar Industries, Inc. was formed from the acquisition of railcar component manufacturing and railcar maintenance assets from ACF Industries. At that time, the manufacturing base was focused on supplying parts and components to rail and non-rail related industries. The Kennett Manufacturing plant was also launched this year as a fabrication and welded railcar sub-assembly supplier. The railcar maintenance assets have been utilized by ARI as railcar services facilities.

http://www.americanrailcar.com/Home/About#
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 01:48:55 PM by Missaberoad »
Ryan in Alberta

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
Re: Can someone explain the connection between ARI and ACF?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 09:50:55 AM »
I thought all the former "ACF" production these days was now under the "ARI" brand.

Whatever the legal particulars, the short (and probably over simplified) answer is that ACF and ARI are basically the same company. Just a re-organization.