Author Topic: Lock Blocks  (Read 5207 times)

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
Re: Lock Blocks
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2016, 06:29:04 PM »
From the research that I did, I believe they were first produced in 1984.

Doug

Erik aka Ngineer

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
    • My Shapeways models
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2016, 03:36:13 PM »
We use these at work, often as temporary road blocks on job sites. I made a model for these last year. I am building a concrete plant where they will be used as walls for the agregate storage area.
They didn't make it to Shapeways (yet). I wanted to make complete walls with these so I drew solid blocks, then stacked them to form the wall I wanted and hollowed out the entire wall. Trouble is that I am not sure about what size I need. I then made a set of these blocks separately to get past that hurdle.
I had to fix some issues with that model and re-uploaded those just now after reading about it here. I set them as viewable for the public: http://shpws.me/LExk

That is quite a bit of savings on material.  The way I envisioned this was to leave the entire bottom open except for the corners (which would be left protruding enough to interlock with the bottom block.  Then add a cross brace in the middle to prevent bowing of the sides. I'm also not sure if going with 0.31mm wall thickness is actually going a bit too far (making these blocks too delicate and possibly prone to warping or bowing,.  Maybe the walls should be a bit thicker? Like 0.5mm?  That should still save on the material cost but make the blocks sturdier.
I made the walls 0.5mm thick. 0.3 is the absolute minimum and makes the walls too fragile for my liking, although it can be done. Just like you I'm worried about any deformation of the block because it will show up if you stack these things.

GimpLizard

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2016, 01:45:25 PM »
So when did these things start getting popular? Were they around in the 80s?

I still have the CAD models I did earlier. So I could still make them available. Neither of the two I've shown so far are common around here. What I've seen, in this part of the country, are more like these "Vee" blocks:  http://www.eliteprecast.co.uk/interlocking-precast-concrete-blocks/vee-interlocking-concrete-blocks/?show-drawings. Which I also plan to model.

But I wanted to do these things to scale. that's why I started a web search for lock-blocks. When I came up with the drawings from Elite Precast I figured I hit the jackpot. But I'm starting to rethink this whole thing. These block, as individuals, are really tiny. Roughly 3/32 x 3/16 x 3/16 in N-scale. It might make more sense to make assembled sections. But then the question becomes; how many blocks per section? I'm sure the needs will vary. so I'm kinda stuck an how best to proceed.

Thoughts?

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2016, 02:58:22 PM »
GimpLizard:

Here is a link to the photos and dimensions, including CAD files, of a large number of various lock block configurations.  The one I want is called the "Standard".  1:1 dimensions are 2.5' x 2.5' x 5' which translates to 0.1875" x 0.1875" x 0.375" or 3/16" x 3/16" x 3/8" in N-Scale.

http://www.ultrablock.com/ultrablock_004.htm

Is the "Standard" size doable for you in N-Scale?

Doug

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8041
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2016, 03:01:33 PM »
From the research that I did, I believe they were first produced in 1984.

Doug

Hmmm. Just barely my era, but probably not enough to be as widespread as today. Damn.

GimpLizard

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2016, 05:02:46 PM »
GimpLizard:

Here is a link to the photos and dimensions, including CAD files, of a large number of various lock block configurations.  The one I want is called the "Standard".  1:1 dimensions are 2.5' x 2.5' x 5' which translates to 0.1875" x 0.1875" x 0.375" or 3/16" x 3/16" x 3/8" in N-Scale.

http://www.ultrablock.com/ultrablock_004.htm

Is the "Standard" size doable for you in N-Scale?

Doug

That was one of the sites I found during my search. But I couldn't get any of the CAD, or PDF, files to open. Though they seem to be working now.

These blocks are significantly large that the ones from the other site. Though they're still awfully tiny in N-scale. The standard size is .154" x .154" x .308".
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 05:05:13 PM by GimpLizard »

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2016, 06:56:58 PM »
That was one of the sites I found during my search. But I couldn't get any of the CAD, or PDF, files to open. Though they seem to be working now.

These blocks are significantly large that the ones from the other site. Though they're still awfully tiny in N-scale. The standard size is .154" x .154" x .308".

If you re-check my post, you will see that the actual N-Scale dimensions for the Standard block are provided.  Also, the 1:1 dimensions are shown in the PDF file and that's where the N-Scale dimensions come from.  Your measurements are definitely smaller than the proper ones.

Doug

Erik aka Ngineer

• Crew
    • My Shapeways models
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2016, 02:03:48 AM »
The standard size over here is 800mm wide and 800mm high. The length and width is 400mm per "pyramid", i.e. a block with 4x2 pyramids is 800x1600mm. These dimensions are very easy to convert to N Scale (if you work in mm).

http://www.legioblock.com/en/

Erik aka Ngineer

• Crew
    • My Shapeways models
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2016, 09:02:31 AM »
I had my blocks (link) printed, the little plastic guys started construction on the sand and gravel storage for the concrete plant:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 09:05:43 AM by Erik aka Ngineer »

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2016, 07:23:29 PM »
Has GimpLizard given up on his plan to 3D print the Standard Lock Block we spoke about a few months ago?  I certainly hope not as I need quite a few of them.

Doug