Author Topic: RIP, KG&N Roadname...  (Read 1521 times)

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
RIP, KG&N Roadname...
« on: April 02, 2016, 01:48:52 PM »
I've decided to scrap my Kisatchie, Gulf & Northern roadname. Over the years, I've painted a number of cars for it, but I never got around to getting the custom decals made. Instead of the KGN, my new layout will be a fictional portion of the Southern Railway, with an interchange with the Norfolk & Western. I found the proper Microscale locomotive decals for those 2 roads, so that clinched the deal.

Sooner or later, my contractor will get in touch with me about building my benchwork (in addition to a number of other home improvement projects). Then I'll start laying track and maybe posting progress reports - depends on whether TRW rejects the photos for being too large, like it did the last time I tried to post a photo.

Stay tuned...

Hmm... okay, I've got my
chips and dip and a cold
six-pack...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
Re: RIP, KG&N Roadname...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 02:33:55 PM »
If you have any KG&N cars finished, you could still keep them.  There were a lot of shortlines with a handful of cars into the early 70s, and an occasional freelanced one wouldn't be noticed by most visitors.
N Kalanaga
Be well

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +907
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 02:48:38 PM »
I've got a KG&N boxcar.... I'm saving it for operations.. for that reason!

:D

~Ian
~Ian

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4590
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 04:31:45 PM »
Then I'll start laying track and maybe posting progress reports - depends on whether TRW rejects the photos for being too large, like it did the last time I tried to post a photo.

That's odd. If you upload your photos directly in the post  :tommann: said that they will automatically get resized to a size acceptable by TRW.

But due to limited storage space on TRW,  :tommann: prefers if we host our photos on some external hosting site (like Flicker, Fotki or Photobucket) and just link to those photos within the posts.  In that scenario the size should not matter.
. . . 42 . . .

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 04:40:52 PM »
That's odd. If you upload your photos directly in the post  :tommann: said that they will automatically get resized to a size acceptable by TRW.

But due to limited storage space on TRW,  :tommann: prefers if we host our photos on some external hosting site (like Flicker, Fotki or Photobucket) and just link to those photos within the posts.  In that scenario the size should not matter.

I'm willing to try again, once I have something photographable LOL.  If it doesn't work again, I can always wait until my son comes to visit some time this spring.

Hmm... Kiz can't do
anything without help...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
"It works! It works!"

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3081
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 04:50:49 PM »
I use Flickr, they have multiple options for posting picture sizes.  Usually use a link for 800x600

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 05:02:33 PM »
If you really want to get ride of them I'll take one. Seems like the sort of line that would have come thrugh Baton Rouge regularly.

But yeah I'd just keep them for interchange
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4590
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 05:13:19 PM »
I've decided to scrap my Kisatchie, Gulf & Northern roadname. Over the years, I've painted a number of cars for it, but I never got around to getting the custom decals made.

So those are just bunch of painted cars with no lettering on them?
. . . 42 . . .

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 05:20:17 PM »
So those are just bunch of painted cars with no lettering on them?

Yes, and 99% of them are box cars. Some have dimensional data. Most are Burlington Northern green, but some are box car red.

Hmm... what was Kiz
thinking...?

"It works! It works!"

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 05:27:05 PM »
+1
Kiz, if you attach photos here and upload them as inline, they will be resized.  As @peteski says, I would prefer that you use this functionality for a few "grab shots".  If you want to upload 100s of photos, Flickr is better suited.  Then, you can just link to them from here.

I think dropping your custom, fantasy roadname will help you overcome your feeling of being overwhelmed.

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 06:05:50 PM »

Hmm... what was Kiz
thinking...?

Dee's right... I completely forgot about my 100 Atlas 50' reefers w/Micro-Trains underframes w/fuel tanks and MTL jewel cases. The cars are painted reefer yellow(?) with box car red roofs and ends. No trucks on dozens of them. Fewer dozens have MTL roller bearing trucks w/medium extension couplers. I'll eventually get around to selling them.

Hmm... Kiz refuses to sell
anything to me...

"It works! It works!"