Author Topic: Thoughts on ExactRail Models?  (Read 4160 times)

Virginia Atlantic

• Crew
  • Respect: +39
Re: Thoughts on ExactRail Models?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 10:16:56 AM »
Ditto. Some around here have been put off by their direct sales on the internet model, but their products are top notch.

That was actually a big selling-point for me.  NoVA has no more decent Hobby Shops, certainly not high-quality N/HO scale inventory.

My only option now is online buys, and given I buy books monthly from Amazon, it's not a tough transition now.

Given I'll likely never have a layout (due to space in my house), and never go back to custom (the VAR is dead) due to time limits and a complete lack of skill/talent, I like the idea of really high-quality items I can unbox and stick on a shelf and look at/admire, like I have for WWII era tanks, Star Trek Ships and the like. 

Just want some nice rolling stock in the roads I always liked (ExactRail's biggest problem IMO, few roadnames I'm a fan of, and what they have say, in Chessie system, isn't what I'd prefer).  But the models themselves look exceptional quality, at least in online pics.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 10:20:46 AM by Virginia Atlantic »
Modeling Passenger Trains in 1:1 Scale for 23 Years and Counting....

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6788
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 10:20:33 AM »
I bought mine direct from Exactrail, and they didn't even send, include, or offer the roof, so I had to buy them (later, paying for the roofs, plus shipping)......Maybe they figure most folks will never notice. I guess they figure since they dropped the ball, I should have to pay to fix it :facepalm:.......Needless to say, I won't be "direct buying" from Exactrail anymore, unless they come out with some new , must have, can't live without, models....Too bad, too, I think their models are quite nice...A little customer service could have gone a long way with this customer...

I respect your opinion, and you have every right to be disappointed.  That said, I fear that the boycott by some model railroaders back when ER changed its business model to direct sales might have something to do with ER possibly backing off on producing any new N scale models.  If there aren't sufficient sales, why invest in more products?  I try to support companies that provide high quality products, and I hate to see any model manufacturer fail.  That doesn't help the hobby.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

rdg5308

• Crew
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 10:21:17 AM »
Did you reach out to ExactRail directly?  I only learned of the roof error from this forum, but even though I procrastinated about a year or so before inquiring, they still sent me replacements free of charge.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 10:23:32 AM by rdg5308 »

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +640
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 10:40:39 AM »
No, I did not write to them to request the  correct roof,I just went ahead and bought them ....I wonder if they"ll send my money back if I ask?........ :facepalm:

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1825
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2016, 10:59:54 AM »
I don't know if they would give you an outright refund, but I'm pretty sure they would offer you credit.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8971
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2016, 11:03:28 AM »
I have one with the incorrect roof.  I don't model Southern, so I never really got around to correcting it.  I usually apply a different accuracy standard for foreign road cars versus home road cars.

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2016, 11:08:05 AM »
Distinctly remember when the waffles were released, our members quickly noted the accuracy failure for the roof and publicized it here. Response from ER was to produce replacements and send them to customers when contacted. Someone from ER may even have commented on the matter as part of the thread.

I later purchased a couple and in the boxes were the replacement part.

Subsequently make a few other buys from them. When they come out with a product, I read the critiques here from those who are knowledgeable about the prototype and if I want the car, the info here helps in that decision.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4882
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2016, 11:13:22 AM »
That was actually a big selling-point for me.  NoVA has no more decent Hobby Shops, certainly not high-quality N/HO scale inventory.

My only option now is online buys, and given I buy books monthly from Amazon, it's not a tough transition now.

Really?  Them going to a factory-direct-sales model was a selling point to you because of the lack of local hobby shops?

The big problem is that modelers are hungry for discounted price and this sales model doesn't give a discount you would expect from an online or mail-order retailer. Unless we think that Exactrail prices are already as highly discounted as they can be.
. . . 42 . . .

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +640
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2016, 11:23:55 AM »
I don't know if they would give you an outright refund, but I'm pretty sure they would offer you credit.

I hadn't considered that.....doubtful, but maybe...

When I ordered them , I was under the impression they owned their mistake, and would be including correct roofs with the car, so I didn't worry about it, even if I had to paint and install them myself, I would not have had an issue.....this was well after they were first released...

I would not call this a boycott, I just expected better service, since their ONLY job is selling Exactrail models, you'd think they'd be on top of this...In this case I can't blame the middle man, the hobby shop, supply problems, etc.....The direct sales only should mean BETTER service,IMHO....

Like I said, I would not call this a boycott, but I don't see myself spending money on ER stuff unless they come out with some other must-have model.....But this is related to their direct only sales as much as the not supplied roofs....I can order from, say, MBK, and they have models from many MFR's...But, obviously, the direct only didn't stop me from placing an order the first time...
fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me......or something like that....

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8563
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2016, 12:09:04 PM »
I have one with the incorrect roof.  I don't model Southern, so I never really got around to correcting it.  I usually apply a different accuracy standard for foreign road cars versus home road cars.

That's the same boat I'm in.

Wutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +247
    • Wutter Vehicles and Details
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2016, 12:23:18 PM »
Hmm interesting, my experience with the waffles is more like Dave's.

I bought some of the original run waffles direct, way before replacement roofs were made available. Quite a while after the replacements were made available, I had a chance to talk to Chris at BAPM where Exactrail had their booth setup and he had just said to email him about getting the correct number of replacement roofs for free. I did just that and it was a fairly painless process.
Alvin
Wutter Vehicles and Details
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/wuttervehicles

tehachapi highlight reel:

Virginia Atlantic

• Crew
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2016, 02:33:51 PM »
Really?  Them going to a factory-direct-sales model was a selling point to you because of the lack of local hobby shops?

The big problem is that modelers are hungry for discounted price and this sales model doesn't give a discount you would expect from an online or mail-order retailer. Unless we think that Exactrail prices are already as highly discounted as they can be.

Yes, very much so.  No internet-option, no buy option.

Their prices are certainly high, but high-prices are fine if the quality is in-line with the costs. 

I also do not expect some specific level of discount simply for buying online, as that's the economic trend, brick & mortar dies off, e-option is the only option.  If they went through a re-seller, presumably the prices would even higher to pay the middle-man his cut.  I don't see where I gain from that.  If the cost is too rich, I the consumer can always choose to pass it up.

My larger point was I have no store here anymore.  I was (way back when) a dedicated local hobby shop supporter, exclusively so, even if I missed out on some things they choose not to stock because I believed in supporting local business.  But they're gone now and no one replaced them, so I am always happy to see a good web portal option to buy.  Why give some random store in some other State a cut if I don't have too?

In any event, I wasn't really looking for a economics debate, just wanted to know if they were as nice looking and solid as they appeared to be.   If they really were "museum quality", or as close as non-custom consumer products get.
Modeling Passenger Trains in 1:1 Scale for 23 Years and Counting....

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4882
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2016, 05:40:30 PM »
Yes, very much so.  No internet-option, no buy option.

Their prices are certainly high, but high-prices are fine if the quality is in-line with the costs. 

I also do not expect some specific level of discount simply for buying online, as that's the economic trend, brick & mortar dies off, e-option is the only option.  If they went through a re-seller, presumably the prices would even higher to pay the middle-man his cut.  I don't see where I gain from that.  If the cost is too rich, I the consumer can always choose to pass it up.

My larger point was I have no store here anymore.  I was (way back when) a dedicated local hobby shop supporter, exclusively so, even if I missed out on some things they choose not to stock because I believed in supporting local business.  But they're gone now and no one replaced them, so I am always happy to see a good web portal option to buy.  Why give some random store in some other State a cut if I don't have too?

In any event, I wasn't really looking for a economics debate, just wanted to know if they were as nice looking and solid as they appeared to be.   If they really were "museum quality", or as close as non-custom consumer products get.

I still don't understand your point about ExactRail.  If they continued using the standard distribution channels then their models would still be available (at discounted prices) from all the online retailers.  Micro-Trains is an example of such a company: you can buy directly from MT's website and pay MSRP price, or from one of their many online sellers and get the same item at a discount. Same goes for Kato.

But ExactRail now only sells direct - no more discount retail.  How in your view is that a good thing?
. . . 42 . . .

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1177
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2016, 06:14:46 PM »
If they continued using the standard distribution channels then their models would still be available (at discounted prices) from all the online retailers.

You don't really know that.  Sometimes margins are so low, it's not even worth it to try and go though hobby shops.  I believe EXR was one of those companies when they came out where the dealer margin was super low, and I'm pretty positive I asked my pusher about the Prairie Shadows gondolas and he told me to just buy direct because there wasn't anything in it for him.

Jason

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3294
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2016, 06:30:04 PM »
I still don't understand your point about ExactRail.  If they continued using the standard distribution channels then their models would still be available (at discounted prices) from all the online retailers.  Micro-Trains is an example of such a company: you can buy directly from MT's website and pay MSRP price, or from one of their many online sellers and get the same item at a discount. Same goes for Kato.

But ExactRail now only sells direct - no more discount retail.  How in your view is that a good thing?

I just wait for their monthly sales.  If I miss out on something new, so be it.  I'll pick up on the second hand/ebay/trade show market.  For month of April, they have EVANS 5277 BOXCAR in 6 paint schemes available for $12.95 each.  Free shipping over $100, sometimes it's as low $50.  Just checked their website, cars are showing mostly $2-4 below MSRP.