Author Topic: Thoughts on ExactRail Models?  (Read 4063 times)

Virginia Atlantic

• Crew
  • Respect: +39
Thoughts on ExactRail Models?
« on: March 31, 2016, 04:30:34 PM »
So in looking around at whats new these days I ran across ExactRail, seemingly a new company since I was last in the hobby.

Their HO stuff looks very very high quality (and tempting, I must admit, if I restart in modeling), but I wondered what the feeling of the forum was on their N-Scale products.

Anyone here have some of their models, and whats the general feeling?

http://exactrail.com/
Modeling Passenger Trains in 1:1 Scale for 23 Years and Counting....

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
Re: Thoughts on ExactRail Models?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 05:14:08 PM »
+1
I've got several ExactRail N scale freight cars, and I am really pleased with them, especially my Southern Ry. waffle box cars.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 05:43:37 PM »
+1
I've got several ExactRail N scale freight cars, and I am really pleased with them, especially my Southern Ry. waffle box cars.

DFF

Ditto. Some around here have been put off by their direct sales on the internet model, but their products are top notch.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1250
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 05:46:02 PM »
+1
I would put them about on the same level as Athearn. They both have similar construction and design. Some early models may have been unpaid tooling for other companies - the Trinity 5161 hoppers came out shortly after LBF folded. LBF had previously announced these models and was using the contractor that would become Exactrail to tool them.

There were a few missteps. The PS waffle box had the wrong roof, but this was later corrected. Recent cars such as their Trinity reefer and Trenton bulkhead flat are about the best looking cars in the industry. They have also upgraded tooling on cars they re-run adding body mount couplers and metal wheels.

That being said, Exactrail sometimes infuriates me. They do not do a lot of N scale anymore. They do not rerun tooling often and that leaves a lot of awesome models unavailable of in schemes that they should be.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 06:23:17 PM »
I think ERs are among the best you can buy.

Ed

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 06:25:36 PM »
I had some paint issues on some covered hopper walkways but they made good by them. They have a new N scale car coming this year which will hopefully show us a new commitment to N scale.

Jason

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 06:37:05 PM »
... They have a new N scale car coming this year which will hopefully show us a new commitment to N scale.

Well, that's certainly good news. In the opportunities I've had to chat with Blaine, he's expressed a mostly doubtful, "we'll see" response about future N product development. And, yes, it was pretty dry for a while. Definitely looking forward to the developments, especially if they port any or all of the recent HO models. Blaine gave a presentation at a UPHS convention about the development research for their HO UP flat car, and the level of attention to detail was mind-boggling.

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 07:13:33 PM »
There excellent models I have quite a few including the Vertapaks and Southern waffle sides ECT. I hope they do more N in the future.

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 07:54:11 PM »
The models are generally awesome.   Just watch out for older runs if you care about couplers and wheels.  For a while they used McHenry couplers and plastic wheels, both of which in my opinion are awful.  They still have some of those older run cars for sale.    Good news is these are generally cheaper on their site.  They re-tooled at least one of their cars for body mounted couplers after the initial runs, so be sure to look at the actual picture of the model you're buying, whether on their site or through resale.

Criticism:  I'm not too keen on their business model of only selling direct to the customer through their website.  It means their stuff is more expensive.  Otherwise I'd have more of their stuff.   I'm also not too happy that I bought some of their 'special offers' and then saw the same items listed in new 'special offers' for a lower price a few months later.  And you gotta be on their e-mail list or you'll have no clue what's available and on sale.

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 08:48:37 PM »
I have the waffle cars, gondolas, and the 50' boxcars and love them.  I also have the Trinity hoppers.  Not real happy with them right now.  I have switched trucks and wheelsets, and still have tracking issues.  Not sure if it is weight or not.  Also could use an extra walkway for one, as one is missing the end of it. 

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 09:44:49 PM »
I love their box cars, gondolas, and the bulkhead flat.  No experience with the hoppers or vert-a-pac.  My only complaints are somewhat minor:

* The bulkhead flat is very light and prone to string-lining, but it is beautifully detailed.  (Some of the assembly in the first run was sloppy, but they provided me with free replacements.)
* For some reason, their metal wheel-sets pick up more gunk than any other wheel-sets I run.
* They did release several duplicate models early on, which may have soured them a bit on N: the 5161 hopper (IM), Thrall gon (Atlas), and ARMN reefer (BLMA).  I think their reefer is slightly better than BLMA's, which is saying a lot.
* I wish they would release (or rerun) more product.  I truly hope they stick with N.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 01:52:32 AM »
The only ER cars I have are the Gunderson 5200 boxcars, but those have all been fine cars.  I wish they'd rerun the SP&S version, as that was the only modern box the SP&S owned, and there are apparently no decals for it.  Body mounting 1025s requires a little trimming on the body bolster, but nothing difficult.

If anyone knows of a decal set for this car, I have one already painted BN green ready to letter...
N Kalanaga
Be well

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 09:06:34 AM »
While I have heard folks say that the waffle boxes would come with the correct roof, I have yet to hear of anyone actually getting the correct roof on the car, everyone I have spoken with had to buy it separately.....I picked some up about a year ago, they still had the incorrect roofs..........Has anyone here on TRW had theirs come with the correct roof already installed?..I had to purchase mine separately....GRRRR :RUEffinKiddingMe:... they were cheap when I picked them up, I think 3 bucks(plus shipping)....Now I can't even find them on the website :?....

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 09:22:39 AM »
I don't believe that any roofs were replaced on the model by ER, but, as you pointed out, the correct roofs were made available by the manufacturer.  I just happened to come across the ER booth at a Timonium show not long after the error originally was discovered and they gave me five free roofs.  Luckily, I was able to prove that I had bought five (including two or three that I bought at that show), because I was able to pull up my purchase history from their website on my smartphone.

Out of the five cars, four roofs came off cleanly and easily with just some minor prying.  The fifth car had a small break at the top of the end wall of the car, but I was able to repair that when I installed the replacement roof.  Whew!  I was really nervous about replacing these roofs, but it turned out not to be so bad.  I love these cars!

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 09:42:19 AM »
I bought mine direct from Exactrail, and they didn't even send, include, or offer the roof, so I had to buy them (later, paying for the roofs, plus shipping)......Maybe they figure most folks will never notice. I guess they figure since they dropped the ball, I should have to pay to fix it :facepalm:.......Needless to say, I won't be "direct buying" from Exactrail anymore, unless they come out with some new , must have, can't live without, models....Too bad, too, I think their models are quite nice...A little customer service could have gone a long way with this customer...