Author Topic: New Shapeways material  (Read 17986 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
New Shapeways material
« on: March 29, 2016, 05:05:47 PM »
+1
High Defintion Acrylate

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
Re: New Shapeways material
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 05:17:06 PM »
+1
Nothing on their materials list yet. Is this based on stereo lithography? They mentioned a resin bath and light projection. If that's the case, this may finally be the replacement for M4D we had been looking for.

Also - no more wax or Bestine baths!
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 05:23:31 PM »
Supposed to be available tomorrow.  Looks like NE5 caboose Ver. 4.0.0 will go to trial!

Jason

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 05:43:37 PM »
Are there specs list anywhere? If it is more like a Formlabs print it will be cheaper, more flexible, but less detailed.

railnerd

• Crew
  • Respect: +230
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 08:16:12 PM »
@Nilmadic had his forklift featured at 14:45 in the video.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 08:24:18 PM by railnerd »

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 08:40:18 PM »
Very interesting. I'll be waiting with bated breath to see results from some of our local Shapeways gurus.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 09:08:12 PM »
Lets hope that this will be a more workable material with better results when compared to FXD... could be a really good thing overall...

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 09:10:13 PM »
Makes me want to take another try at the concrete tie strip for code 40 rail.   I can probably use the exact same drawing.

Ed

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3119
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 09:16:17 PM »
+1
Be aware that there will be a $5 PER SEPARATE PART charge within the vat.  EVERYTHING will be on a sprue for me.  Also the support material removal will be VERY hard to disguise on the physical part, ad there is no mention of being able to specify orientation.

I am already having tolerance issues with the FUD machines- I designed a roof to fit the MT horse car and the parts came back 0.9mm short overall.  I cannot get them to share any machine calibration or capability data.  As as supplier to me you'd think this info would be transparent.  Not so.  I am in email status with them now on the subject.  This machine may not need calibration but who am I kidding?

I'll test the roof in this material and let folks know...

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 11:37:10 PM »
Are there specs list anywhere? If it is more like a Formlabs print it will be cheaper, more flexible, but less detailed.

Video say the detail stays at .1mm but wall thickness goes up to .5mm.  Wire thickness goes down to .5mm.  Build area is smaller than FXD to start.

Also mentions that they are working on user orientation tools, but it's not clear if just for this material or others as well.

The guy in the video will be talking on Friday at the Fine Scale Model Railroad Expo this weekend and is showing some of the BHDA(?)pieces.

http://www.modelrailroadexpo.com/schedule.html

Jason
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:41:26 PM by wcfn100 »

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 12:47:57 AM »
Be aware that there will be a $5 PER SEPARATE PART charge within the vat.  EVERYTHING will be on a sprue for me.  Also the support material removal will be VERY hard to disguise on the physical part, ad there is no mention of being able to specify orientation.

I am already having tolerance issues with the FUD machines- I designed a roof to fit the MT horse car and the parts came back 0.9mm short overall.  I cannot get them to share any machine calibration or capability data.  As as supplier to me you'd think this info would be transparent.  Not so.  I am in email status with them now on the subject.  This machine may not need calibration but who am I kidding?

I'll test the roof in this material and let folks know...

Why would they share calibration data?  What ProJet calibration data is there to share?  You calibrate the machine and hope it's within the tolerance desired.  All three axis must be calibrated, and one of my contractors said it's not a simple task.  If you utilize a contractor that will output in the orientation desired, you can then compensate for the machine by adjusting the XYZ scale of your digital model.  If the roof came back short, divide the expected length by the short length and scale the model up by that percentage.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4587
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 01:44:23 AM »
+1
If the roof came back short, divide the expected length by the short length and scale the model up by that percentage.

What if the contractor has several printers and each one is slightly different? You compensate and then next time it gets printer on a different printer.  You're screwed again.
. . . 42 . . .

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 07:58:45 AM »
+1
Why would they share calibration data?  What ProJet calibration data is there to share?  You calibrate the machine and hope it's within the tolerance desired.  All three axis must be calibrated, and one of my contractors said it's not a simple task.  If you utilize a contractor that will output in the orientation desired, you can then compensate for the machine by adjusting the XYZ scale of your digital model.  If the roof came back short, divide the expected length by the short length and scale the model up by that percentage.

I have every right to that information as a "MAKER" selling my designs and they are my part supplier.

Tools and machines become un-calibrated over time and use.  What I asked for is how often they adjust the machine back into calibration so they can deliver their advertised specs.

There is no hoping- it is measurable and quantifiable.  They print a test a model and measure the results and don't produce parts on that machine until it is capable.

Orientation does nothing for you it simply shifts the error state to another axis of dimension on the design.

Change my design to their error state- NEVER! In the manufacturing industry this is known as mean shifting and without proper knowledge of supplier capability for each critical dimension they are trying to produce for you, it is the equivalent of chasing your tail.  If they re-calibrate without your knowledgte, you will be forced to change the design again, and again and again, but you will not find out until parts don't fit- parts that should have been to spec in the first place!

The fact that a machine owner has to recalibrate on a regular schedule is not our problem regardless of the difficulty involved.  Industry part suppliers have a maintenance schedule they follow to ensure proper dimensional capability of their manufacturing process.

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 07:59:20 AM »
What if the contractor has several printers and each one is slightly different? You compensate and then next time it gets printer on a different printer.  You're screwed again.

YUP, see above.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 08:16:49 AM »

Ah, but that you may ask, no?  If I remember correctly, it's one per location. "My" Shapeways plant is in Queens.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net