Author Topic: Kato Steam  (Read 2067 times)

Flagler

• Crew
  • Respect: -43
Kato Steam
« on: March 25, 2016, 12:10:36 PM »
Waiting for new versions of the FEF-3, New numbers ,road names ect.
This is a great engine, I am sure sales were great
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 01:55:04 PM by GaryHinshaw »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4612
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Kato Steam
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 01:07:19 PM »
Kato produced a 2nd batch which seems to indicate that it did rather well.
. . . 42 . . .

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 07:56:08 PM »
Well, I'd really like to see Kato produce something other then an excursion queen (no disrespect for the 8444). A TTG era FEF2 or 3 would be great, but a bit of retooling would be required. Unfortunately, Kato seems to focus on train sets; how's this for a train set:
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Otto K.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 09:45:20 PM »
I'm still waiting for open side two bay hoppers. :P

Jason

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +988
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 09:59:11 PM »
I'm still waiting for open side two bay hoppers. :P

Jason

Considering Kato is still selling the "closed" side version from the first run I think we'll be waiting a long time...
At least they were kind enough to model all the bracing, makes it easier to open them up...
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 10:59:11 PM »
Considering Kato is still selling the "closed" side version from the first run I think we'll be waiting a long time...
At least they were kind enough to model all the bracing, makes it easier to open them up...

In fact, they are trying to dump them on their web site:
   https://www.katousa.com/Zcart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=148
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1256
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 12:45:33 AM »
Well, I'd really like to see Kato produce something other then an excursion queen (no disrespect for the 8444). A TTG era FEF2 or 3 would be great, but a bit of retooling would be required. Unfortunately, Kato seems to focus on train sets; how's this for a train set:
(Attachment Link)
Otto K.

I'd like to see that too.  Converting the present Kato FEF-3 into a late, black transition era FEF-3 is pretty easy, as the top of the oil bunker is all that needs to be modified, with no oil spillage dam, a round filler hatch and simple vent.

However, doing a correct FEF-3 or FEF-2 in TTG is another story.  Kato would have to modify the main boiler, and the firebox to get rid of the associated piping of the Worthington SA Feedwater Heater, eliminate the square feedwater part on top of the firebox in front of the twin stack, shorten the firebox by 18 scale inches and replace the Worthington compressor under the fireman's side running board with the original feedwater heater pipes and equipment. 

Also, to do an FEF-2, either pre-Worthington SA Feedwater Heater, or post-Worthington SA Feedwater Heater, the cast pilot would have to be replaced with the FEF-2 bolt-on version.  The twin stack on the FEF-2's was also slimmer and made up of welded/bolted parts as opposed to the heavier cast version on FEF-3's...so that should also be changed.

The Worthington SA Feedwater Heaters were the last major change/addition the FEF's had, and was done in a two year period of time around 1952 to 1954.  All FEF-s Shopped at that time were re-painted shiny black, which replaced their late TTG scheme which had flat aluminum striping (called "white" by railroad personnel) as opposed to the earlier yellow striping.

Yes, there IS a possibility that one or two FEF-2's or 3's got the Worthington Feedwater Heaters and were repainted in the "white" version of TTG, but I haven't seen any photos to confirm that possibility...and I've got a lot of reference material dealing with FEF's. This means that IF some were painted TTG, they were rare and only ran a short while between 1951 and 1953 or '54.  If anybody has a photo of an FEF in TTG "white" with the Worthington SA Feedwater Heater, please post a high-res phoos of it as I wold be..sorry...fell asleep at the keyboard there for a minute...post a high-res photo as I would really love to see the evidence and number on the engine...and I'm sure others would like that too. :)

While Kato is at it (if they decide to retool the body for early FEF-3's and FEF-2's) I'd like to see them offer stand-alone hand-grab rails over the cab windows, which is a very prominent feature on FEF's. Do them like the grab rails on the boiler, and not like those on the tender please.

As a side-note, UP regularly ran their passenger steam engines pulling freight on their first run after being shopped because if there were problems, it was a lot less trouble to put a freight on a siding to correct the problem than a passenger train full of people. This means that a shiny, freshly-shopped FEF pulling a freight was a fairly common sight during the early transition era on the UP.  Later, of course, between '57 and '59,  they were pulling frieghts all the time and got really dirty, which would also be fun and interesting to model and run.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 10:43:06 PM by robert3985 »

loyalton

• Crew
  • Respect: -17
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 12:58:49 AM »
In fact, they are trying to dump them on their web site:
   https://www.katousa.com/Zcart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=148
Those only came up in the last few months, with no SP or Seaboard offered. They're from the parts dept., leftovers of ones held for repair/replacement. Now 15+ bucks minimum for shipping up to 1 pound?  :facepalm:

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1256
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 01:11:25 AM »
Waiting for new versions of the FEF-3, New numbers ,road names ect.
This is a great engine, I am sure sales were great

Since FEF's were UP only, I doubt Kato will do the ConCor/Bachmann trick of painting them in other roadnames for added sales...especially since they seem to selling every UP one they can make.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 03:36:59 AM »
+2
Thread hijack!  :-X

Just did this in about 15 minutes with an Exato.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/erie21100bdb.jpg

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 04:15:28 AM »
Chris333... that's a nice looking hopper.  Will eventually be doing the same to represent the same type.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 11:23:15 AM »
+1
Been there, done that.

Of course now I could RP the vibrator castings, hmmm...

I would still like to see Kato do this car (or really any new american freight car).

Jason

Flagler

• Crew
  • Respect: -43
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 08:45:11 AM »
+1
I guess the thread lost it's steam

Blackout

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 01:38:33 AM »
They need to take the FEF mech and make a SF 3751 body and tender for it. Beastly.