Author Topic: Getting Started with JMRI Virtual Sound Decoders  (Read 4724 times)

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
Re: Getting Started with JMRI Virtual Sound Decoders
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2016, 07:01:41 PM »
How do you get other VSD files ?  I'm not savvy enough at this point to "roll my own" and the Yahoo group page has nothing in the files section other than a souped up steam example version.

Yeah, this.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2016, 01:19:58 AM »
So I showed my sons the sound setup and they were very excited. I need to hook up a better set of speakers to really improve the experience. So I was thinking about how the sound would be much better with more specific sounds. This might not work out but occurred to me that the sounds in train simulator games have the sounds needed. My oldest son plays Train Simulator (I believe it's made by RailWorks). It has the ability to download a locomotive "pack" which contains the sound files for horn, bell, prime mover, etc. Could these be zipped up and used in VSD? Is there any documentation on the file format (XML maybe)?

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7846
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2016, 12:25:17 PM »
I messed around with it tonight on mine.  I'm not sure which version of JMRI I'm running, I think 4.xxx something.  Debug is not an option in the DecoderPro, but I did find it in PanelPro.

How do you get other VSD files ?  I'm not savvy enough at this point to "roll my own" and the Yahoo group page has nothing in the files section other than a souped up steam example version.

Believe it or not, rolling your own isn't difficult if you have access to the raw sound files. It's all in a mapping file.
I plan on writing a tutorial about it at some point.

However, its finding the source files that can be difficult. I lucked out and have a connection in the Train Sim community which needs the exact same style of sounds.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7846
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2016, 01:07:45 PM »
So I showed my sons the sound setup and they were very excited. I need to hook up a better set of speakers to really improve the experience. So I was thinking about how the sound would be much better with more specific sounds. This might not work out but occurred to me that the sounds in train simulator games have the sounds needed. My oldest son plays Train Simulator (I believe it's made by RailWorks). It has the ability to download a locomotive "pack" which contains the sound files for horn, bell, prime mover, etc. Could these be zipped up and used in VSD? Is there any documentation on the file format (XML maybe)?

Yep. Sims are where it's at.

I'm friends with one of the guys at http://jointedrail.com/, and I was able to grab their GP9 and GP38 sounds for use in my VSD. Then it was just a matter of mapping them in the config file (that you can get at by renaming the .vsd to .zip and unzipping it).

I really want to share my file, but because I haven't gotten official sanction from them yet, I can't.

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2016, 02:06:22 AM »
Excellent...so we're on the right track!
I'm very interested in your config file work when you have a chance to share it. My son already has downloaded many locomotive sounds in his train sim program so I could just grab one of those to start off.
Thanks!
-Ryan

Yep. Sims are where it's at.

I'm friends with one of the guys at http://jointedrail.com/, and I was able to grab their GP9 and GP38 sounds for use in my VSD. Then it was just a matter of mapping them in the config file (that you can get at by renaming the .vsd to .zip and unzipping it).

I really want to share my file, but because I haven't gotten official sanction from them yet, I can't.