Author Topic: Getting Started with JMRI Virtual Sound Decoders  (Read 4748 times)

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
Re: Getting Started with JMRI Virtual Sound Decoders
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 02:38:20 PM »
That's odd, but I have noticed that the newest version has been a little flaky.

Did you launch "Decoderpro" or "Decoderpro 3"? I don't think the 3 version has it (which is annoying).

Not sure, I'll check tonight.  Should I consider uninstalling JMRI and trying to install an older version?  I likely had version 2.14.1, which was released in 2012, on my old Mac.  I wish I still had that old Mac, but it died after eight years of great service and, unfortunately, took that software with it.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 03:34:06 PM »
Cool, yeah, check it out, and also, yeah, if it's buggy, try the older version.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2016, 06:40:33 PM »
I think I was in DecoderPro (not 3) last night, but just now I uninstalled JMRI and downloaded the last version (3.10.1), and that missing pop-up box with the menu for "Debug" was right there.  I easily found the VSDecoder options.  So, I'm staying away from the most recent version of JMRI (4.2.1), because it doesn't work for me.  Hopefully, I'll find when I link up with the layout tonight that all of the other crashing issues are gone, too.

Thanks,
DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2016, 06:47:25 PM »
I have Version 4.3.3   and the debug is there .. run the Panelpro app .. its there

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2016, 07:54:36 AM »
The biggest problem that I see with the headphone solution is that you can't hear each other's (literal) bells and whistles. Those are supposed to be warning devices for others, not for the engineer.
Duh-oh!  :facepalm:  Well there's always sign language!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2016, 10:15:12 AM »
I have Version 4.3.3   and the debug is there .. run the Panelpro app .. its there

Bingo!  That worked on version 4.2.1, too.

By the way, I uninstalled 4.2.1 and installed 3.10.1 last night.  It worked, at first, including VSDecoder.  My four-year-old daughter enjoyed pushing the button for the horn.  But, some of the same crashing happened in that version, too.  By the end of the night, I had uninstalled 3.10.1 and reinstalled 4.2.1.  Unfortunately, though, while I had everything working at one point last night, I gave up when I would try to use the throttle on DecoderPro and it started read something like "No response from command station."  I had changed no settings or disconnected anything.   :RUEffinKiddingMe:

DFF
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 10:17:11 AM by davefoxx »

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2016, 12:38:52 PM »
Do you have the latest version of Java installed Dave?  If you're on a Mac, you can check for updates in System Preferences.  I'm running jmri/4.3.3 on a Mac under Java/8.77 with no stability issues.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2016, 12:49:31 PM »
Do you have the latest version of Java installed Dave?  If you're on a Mac, you can check for updates in System Preferences.  I'm running jmri/4.3.3 on a Mac under Java/8.77 with no stability issues.

@GaryHinshaw,

I definitely checked that two nights ago, but I can't remember or verify the specific version until I get home this evening.  I want to say it is Java 1.8, but that's not even close to the number you quoted Java/8.77!   :scared:

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2016, 12:58:20 PM »
That is probably fine.  The longer description is "Version 8 Update 77 (build 1.8.0_77-b03)", so you're probably remembering the build number.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2016, 01:02:36 PM »
That is probably fine.  The longer description is "Version 8 Update 77 (build 1.8.0_77-b03)", so you're probably remembering the build number.

Gotcha, thanks!  I regret that I am really computer illiterate as compared to many of you.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2016, 01:04:57 PM »
Another thing to try: I could only get my Mac connected to my PR3 using one of the two USB ports.  Have you tried a different port?  (In my case it wouldn't connect at all though - so different symptoms.)

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2016, 02:41:22 PM »
I had the same problem.  It only works in one of my USB ports.  The biggest issue that I have is that I had it all working at times, including JMRI, DecoderPro (adding to the roster and programming a decoder), the throttle in Decoder Pro, WiThrottle, and even VSDecoder.  But, then it stops, and nothing works.  At that point, I had no option but to force quit DecoderPro and JMRI.  Then, DecoderPro wouldn't reboot.  The stupid icon would just bounce in the menu at the bottom of the screen.  So, a number of attempts to reboot and a similar number of Force Quits and finally, after a significant period of time, DecoderPro decided to reopen.  But, once I got DecoderPro up and running again, the throttle wouldn't work, because it said that the command station wasn't responding.  Ugh!  So frustrating.  I just gave up.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2016, 02:43:41 PM »
Oh, and what really ticked me off, is that at one crash of JMRI, my four-year-old daughter was playing with the horn in VSDecoder.  She got upset, because she thought she broke the computer.  My wife and I had to console her and convince her that she did nothing wrong.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2016, 08:23:49 PM »
I messed around with it tonight on mine.  I'm not sure which version of JMRI I'm running, I think 4.xxx something.  Debug is not an option in the DecoderPro, but I did find it in PanelPro.

How do you get other VSD files ?  I'm not savvy enough at this point to "roll my own" and the Yahoo group page has nothing in the files section other than a souped up steam example version.

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2016, 06:50:02 PM »
Ed, just tried this today and it worked within 5 minutes. Sweet!
I loaded up 2 locomotives and selected one on each of my EngineDriver app and could hit sounds on both at the same time. Slick!

Can't wait to figure out how to get more prototypical sounds for more engines in the roster. My sons will love this so much when I show them after their Little League game. Thanks for taking the time to share your research on VSD!