Author Topic: New Route Around Chicago?  (Read 1701 times)

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
New Route Around Chicago?
« on: March 21, 2016, 11:52:18 AM »
Who will pay for? Can environmental matters be resolved? Will the NIMBY's be overcome? Will they build viewing platforms for rail fans?

Video link is for 90 minutes, so maybe the answers are in there.

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/federal_legislation_regulation/news/STB-to-prepare-environmental-statement-for-proposed-Great-Lakes-Basin-rail-line--47668?email=larry.blazynski@arkema.com&utm_medium=email&utm_source=prdailynews&utm_campaign=prdailynews03/21/2016

TLOC

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
Re: New Route Around Chicago?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 03:32:55 PM »
Nice idea, doubt it will happen. Too much interference by non-rail groups.

TomO

lock4244

• Crew
  • Ontario - tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax
  • Respect: +57
    • My train pics
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 05:10:15 PM »
It'll probably be tied up in 'EPA this' and 'litigation in my backyard that' that by the time it's approved (IF), RR'ing will be extinct  :facepalm:

Great idea, though.
Welcome to Ontario... we've got a tax for that.
My train pics:
http://tinyurl.com/62uk24
More here:
http://www.railpictures.ca/author/lock4244

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +822
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 05:14:51 PM »
If the RRs weren't so quick to dismantle "lesser" lines in the '80s in the upper Midwest, they would have existing routes to connect the dots and upgrade into a heavy-duty bypass. Now they get to run the gauntlet for new route development.

Today's "redundant" could be tomorrow's express route. Apparently CSX is aware of this with the ex-B&O line between StL and Indy - it's simply out of service with no trains, but for the time being is mothballed and not rush-deconstructed like they have done in the past. Could it be they finally learned? The hard way? What a concept!
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

jmarley76

• Crew
  • Respect: +113
    • WNCRails
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 10:14:11 PM »
It will be interesting to see how this plays out...

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +248
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 01:59:34 AM »
Mike:  I suspect that's why the BNSF (BN, NP) Homestake Pass line in Montana hasn't been abandoned.  It's been out of service for many years, and has enough large rocks on the track that reopening it would be require major repairs, but the track is still there, and they aren't about to give it up. 
N Kalanaga
Be well

BobRunty

• Crew
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 08:36:56 AM »
If the RRs weren't so quick to dismantle "lesser" lines in the '80s in the upper Midwest, they would have existing routes to connect the dots and upgrade into a heavy-duty bypass. Now they get to run the gauntlet for new route development.

Today's "redundant" could be tomorrow's express route. Apparently CSX is aware of this with the ex-B&O line between StL and Indy - it's simply out of service with no trains, but for the time being is mothballed and not rush-deconstructed like they have done in the past. Could it be they finally learned? The hard way? What a concept!

A couple lines in my backyard come to mind. The old CM&G, Milwaukee's Joliet Branch, from Delmar Indiana to Joliet and originally with some trackage rights to Rockford Il and also the Michigan Central/ Penn Central, Chicago cutoff from Indiana to Joliet which pretty much paralled the EJ&E.
Both lines were abandoned and tore up in the 70's.

Bob

Blazeman

• Crew

TLOC

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 02:22:33 PM »
My feeling is the Class 1's don't want to help fund the idea. NS stance makes sense as Chicago is not as big a deal to them as it would be to CP, CN, BNSF and UP. I don't understand why they are picking Milton, Wi as the starting point of the bypass. I have to find a newer Wisconsin rail map but that seems out of the way for BNSF and UP.
TOMO

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Respect: +348
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 02:57:21 PM »
Ryan in Alberta

TLOC

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 08:49:13 PM »
Thanks Ryan--deleted the old one and added this to favorites. Still don't see why they are picking Milton, not enough other rails go there to make it an efficient entry point, IMO.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Respect: +348
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 10:09:06 PM »
It's not a bad position for CP or BNSF's northern transcon, assuming some cooperation with WSOR.

Obviously anything off UP or the ex. Santa Fe transcon would have to enter elsewhere. CN likely would have little interest having a pretty decent route through Chicago already...

Ryan in Alberta

Blazeman

• Crew

TLOC

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 12:29:11 PM »
Agree with you Blazeman. But you would think the proposing group already has those alternative routes.

Tom