Author Topic: Question for Wutter  (Read 371 times)

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +179
Question for Wutter
« on: March 17, 2016, 10:20:30 AM »
Good mornin to ya Alvin on this St. patty's day.

Actually my question is for you or anyone else who has used your SP light clusters. I had no problem with the 3 light top unit but the bottom sealed beam has been a real challenge. I have used new single edge razor blades and new #11 blades and each time in trying to cut the fixture off of the sprue, it cracked. So, the only thing I could come up with in my sawdust filled head was to remove the whole thing from the sprue and then I laid a piece of 220 grit sandpaper on a flat glass pane and sanded the sprue off of the backside. It worked but does anyone have an easier way?

Always have fun,
Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas
Southern New Mexico N Scalers, Las Cruces, New Mexico

Wutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +88
Re: Question for Wutter
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 10:48:54 AM »
Hi Carl,

Thanks for reaching out. Have you tried using sprue cutters/ flush cutters on the rear of the sealed beam part? I've usually had success with brittle sprues like that. Another method I've used is laying the parts flat and sticking them flat to a surface and using a very fine miter saw (52tpi or higher) to carefully saw off the sprue, although this method is slower, it usually results in minimal cleanup and rarely breaks parts if the saw is not forced.

Hopefully having extras on that sprue mean that you'll be left with enough for your project  :scared:

Let me know how it goes,
Alvin
Alvin
Owner of Wutter Vehicles and Details
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/wuttervehicles