0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Came back from my annual ski trip on Tuesday, and this time we took the train both ways. I'm glad we did! The Sierras got pounded the week that we were gone, and we got to see Union Pacific doing something that they've only done twice in 33 years:That's out the window of Amtrak train 5, just west of Donner Pass. Pretty awesome to see one out in the wild!There were also some kind of scary sights. I didn't get any shots of the idle power at Roseville, but the miles of idle power at Grand Junction tell a similar story:Track after track of idle yard power. There were some interesting finds in the group, like whole blocks of old U-boats:Overall, a very fun trip!
... There is no fuel tank under UPY 108 : slug ?
Yes. All those gray B-[whatevers] are slugs.
Here's some info on those remote control cars... http://utahrails.net/up-diesel-roster/upy-ccrcl.phpYou would think that UP would have done the opposite, remove the prime mover and left the traction motors so the units could act as slugs. I am not familiar with these, so does anyone have any insight on the typical lash-up or operations?
The prime movers are of no use without a fuel tank, they must draw their electrical power from the units they are controlling.
They're not actually slugs.Think of them as radio control adapters.
Right, I got that too, so maybe better way to put it is why were they not slugs with radio control equipment? Maybe I am thinking too hard on this, but it seems a huge waste to set these up the way they are. I think back to Southern Railway's radio control car, it was just a modified 40' box. No need to gut a loco to get a platform for some receivers and control untis...