Author Topic: Chessie System CSX heritage unit up in smoke.  (Read 2530 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mu26aeh

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5867
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4864
Chessie System CSX heritage unit up in smoke.
« on: March 16, 2016, 07:37:14 PM »
0
Member over at NSN was the engineer of this unit when it went up in flames.  @wm3798 what were your whereabouts on March 7th ?

http://www.djstrains.com/prototype-information.html

C855B

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11425
  • Respect: +2893
Re: Chessie System CSX heritage unit up in smoke.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 07:43:39 PM »
0
A couple of years ago I asked a shop supervisor at North Platte about the several GEs he had in the barn with similar fire damage. I openly supposed it was turbo seal failures, and he said, no, it's usually lube oil hoses breaking at the fittings. He also commented that it looks a lot worse than it really is, that there is typically little mechanical damage.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7454
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Chessie System CSX heritage unit up in smoke.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 03:25:51 PM »
+1
Imagine... Something with Chessie on it burning down.  What a shock!
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

jmarley76

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 698
  • Respect: +137
    • WNCRails
Re: Chessie System CSX heritage unit up in smoke.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 09:26:35 AM »
0
Feel sorry for the fellow at the throttle.  :(

On another note, how cheap is it to just slap stickers on something and call it a heritage anything? Seems rather disrepectful...  :x

ChristianJDavis1

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 570
  • Gender: Male
  • I almost killed DKS.
  • Respect: +226
Re: Chessie System CSX heritage unit up in smoke.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 10:57:53 AM »
0
Feel sorry for the fellow at the throttle.  :(

On another note, how cheap is it to just slap stickers on something and call it a heritage anything? Seems rather disrepectful...  :x

Well, for the three remaining fans of CSX, I guess a sticker is better than nothing at all...
- Christian J. Davis

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12343
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8581
Re: Chessie System CSX heritage unit up in smoke.
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 11:34:08 AM »
0
I guess I'm one of the three fans left :facepalm:, because I tend to give CSX a pass since most of the railroads that I prefer are predecessor roads of CSX, e.g., ACL, SAL, SCL, SBD, and RF&P.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

C855B

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11425
  • Respect: +2893
Re: Chessie System CSX heritage unit up in smoke.
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 11:42:55 AM »
0
Poses the question - which road did CSX's slacker culture come from? L&N, maybe? They had the least competition of the predecessor lines, so I could understand fomenting of a "whatever" attitude.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

ChristianJDavis1

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 570
  • Gender: Male
  • I almost killed DKS.
  • Respect: +226
Re: Chessie System CSX heritage unit up in smoke.
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 01:10:41 PM »
0
I guess I'm one of the three fans left :facepalm:, because I tend to give CSX a pass since most of the railroads that I prefer are predecessor roads of CSX, e.g., ACL, SAL, SCL, SBD, and RF&P.

DFF

Nothing against them, as I am one as well. Just poking fun at the fact that CSX has a lot of haters and gets a lot of flack. We seem to be the minority amongst CR and NS fans, anyway.
- Christian J. Davis

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12343
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8581
Re: Chessie System CSX heritage unit up in smoke.
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 01:33:47 PM »
0
Poses the question - which road did CSX's slacker culture come from? L&N, maybe? They had the least competition of the predecessor lines, so I could understand fomenting of a "whatever" attitude.

@C855B,

That is a great question and one that I hope to look into when I have some more time.  If I remember correctly, the merger actually went something like this: Seaboard System's name was changed to CSXT in 1986 and the other roads were merged into CSXT.  The C&O was last to fall, but that didn't occur until around May 1987 (B&O was merged into C&O around April 1987).  That's probably a surprise for some, because many people think the CSXT merger was in 1986.  Of course, some also think of Chessie System as a railroad, rather than what it really was: a marketing scheme for three separate (but related) railroads (B&O/C&O/WM), not unlike the "Family Lines" (SCL/L&N/CRR/WA/GA/A&WP).

By the way, my favorite anecdote about CSXT was the alleged statement by an officer that stated, "You will never see CSX on the side of a locomotive."  Hindsight is 20/20, but I don't believe for one moment that they didn't have that mega-merger planned from the beginning.

NOTE: I am referring to the railroad companies, e.g., CSX Transportation (CSXT), and not the holding companies that owned the railroads, e.g., CSX Corporation, which was formed in 1980.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6035
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: Chessie System CSX heritage unit up in smoke.
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 01:54:52 PM »
0
Had it been painted in the tri-color Chessie paint job I would have hailed the fire as aesthetic justice, having grown up on the OML and having to suffer that scheme.  I didn't mind the blue and yellow of pre-merger B&O and C&O.  Otherwise, glad the crew is safe and sound.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.