Author Topic: Interesting Maryland Midland Photo  (Read 2876 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26104
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11593
    • Conrail 1285
Interesting Maryland Midland Photo
« on: March 10, 2016, 02:39:53 PM »
0
I started going through RR Picture Archives list of photos tagged with December of 1985 while waiting for a CMS to reindex some content.

While doing that, I came across this one:
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=397424

What's interesting about it is that it's proof that the SD24s were operable in 12/85. Which means one fewer way in which I'm stretching the truth on my layout...

I thought some of you locals might've found it interesting too.

Iain

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4890
  • Gender: Female
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +839
    • The Best Puppers
Re: Interesting Maryland Midland Photo
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 06:36:36 PM »
0
Ed's Law is now in effect  :ashat:
I like ducks



central.vermont

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2627
  • Gender: Male
  • Jon
  • Respect: +148
Re: Interesting Maryland Midland Photo
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 10:06:38 PM »
0
Hold on there ED, It looks like that they are switching it out so it could be dead.  :D

Jon

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26104
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11593
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Interesting Maryland Midland Photo
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 10:33:21 AM »
0
Hold on there ED, It looks like that they are switching it out so it could be dead.  :D

Jon


It might be, but it looks like the headlight is on.

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11874
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +940
Re: Interesting Maryland Midland Photo
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 12:29:56 PM »
0
Heh that's the era where I did most of my MM railfanning (mid to late 80s).


Spikre

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 580
  • Respect: 0
Re: Interesting Maryland Midland Photo
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 01:19:23 PM »
0
 :?
   looks like the headlite is out,just highly reflective.
   likely saw that unit in Q paint, the way it was
   meant to be.
      Spikre
         ;)

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26104
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11593
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Interesting Maryland Midland Photo
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 09:38:48 PM »
0
Oh, sorry, I was confusing it with another photo in the series where it actually looked lit.

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7454
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Interesting Maryland Midland Photo
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 01:24:07 PM »
0
You will be relying on the very lightly built York Hanover and Frederick line to reach the MMID at Detour...  Big 6 axles might have slightly better weight distribution, but still...

This line had been downgraded and mostly pulled up in the late 70s (Taneytown was and still is the end of the line at the south end)

Still a stretch.  A pleasantly diverting one, but a stretch nonetheless.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12249
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11692
Re: Interesting Maryland Midland Photo
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 02:13:05 PM »
0
You will be relying on the very lightly built York Hanover and Frederick line to reach the MMID at Detour...  Big 6 axles might have slightly better weight distribution, but still...

This line had been downgraded and mostly pulled up in the late 70s (Taneytown was and still is the end of the line at the south end)

Still a stretch.  A pleasantly diverting one, but a stretch nonetheless.

Lee

No more of one than the underlying premise, though!  One could easily imagine that a more vital and busy Northern Central would have invited its connecting lines to do the same...

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26104
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11593
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Interesting Maryland Midland Photo
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 10:12:37 PM »
0
Exactly. And I always figured that the PRR, being the PRR, would have overbuilt the branch. My guess is that, because it had such little importance and use, that its condition declined steadily prior to eventual abandonment.

However, with an owner like the MMID, who'd have a good reason to keep it up, well... the sky's the limit!

And seriously, the MMID would've had a very good reason to keep it up. Apparently there are some significant rate setting benefits to being an "interline carrier" between two larger roads. It's the reason the Middletown and Hummelstown keeps its NS interchange at Hummelstown in place, even though they barely ever use it. Since they technically interchange with two roads (Amtrak and NS), they get to write their own freight rates. If it were only one, they'd be at the mercy of the connecting carrier.

So... a Conrail interchange in York would've been QUITE advantageous to central Maryland's favorite shortline.

badlandnp

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 71
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +11
    • Badland N.P.
Re: Interesting Maryland Midland Photo
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 11:24:37 PM »
+1
That's a neat pic! 

Doubly so as I worked at Livingston Rebuild Center from Jan 92 to 96. I got the fun of rewiring the WM 794 there and it's two other sister GP's. Engines got rebuilt and wiring upgraded with a short nose applied as needed. Then I had to fly out to MMID after shipping each unit so we could reset the units transition system to meet their operating needs. There's a big difference from a high speed mainline to a 25 mph line!

I didn't see the SD when I went out there in 92, that would have been fun to rebuild that loco!
Northern Pacific in the Badlands, in N-scale of course!

mu26aeh

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5867
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4864
Re: Interesting Maryland Midland Photo
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 11:38:44 PM »
0
While doing my nightly search on eBay for Maryland Midland N Scale items, I ran across this auction for a slide.  It is dated 5-19-84

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Slide-Maryland-Midland-56-Action-At-Sabillasville-MD-on-5-19-84-/301919545114?hash=item464bcea71a:g:qA8AAOSw9KpXAtoS

It shows MMID #56 and #6255 at Sabillasville.  The seller also has a slide of #6255 sitting in yard dated 1-12-85.  I believe it is coupled to #56 as well

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Slide-Maryland-Midland-6255-Ex-BN-SD9-At-Union-Bridge-MD-1-12-85-/301919545260?hash=item464bcea7ac:g:OTkAAOSwGOxXAtoc

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26104
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11593
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Interesting Maryland Midland Photo
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 12:17:01 AM »
0
$20 for an image... Insane!

Then again, I was just looking at tickets for Hamilton for my wife...

Regardless, I feel like my next MMID acquisition weds to be some former Gettysburg RS3s.

mu26aeh

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5867
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4864
Re: Interesting Maryland Midland Photo
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 07:37:45 AM »
0
Regardless, I feel like my next MMID acquisition weds to be some former Gettysburg RS3s.

BLW has the Great Undecorated Railroad in stock  :trollface:

http://www.blwnscale.com/atlas-rs3.htm

central.vermont

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2627
  • Gender: Male
  • Jon
  • Respect: +148
Re: Interesting Maryland Midland Photo
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 03:40:18 PM »
0
While doing my nightly search on eBay for Maryland Midland N Scale items, I ran across this auction for a slide.  It is dated 5-19-84

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Slide-Maryland-Midland-56-Action-At-Sabillasville-MD-on-5-19-84-/301919545114?hash=item464bcea71a:g:qA8AAOSw9KpXAtoS

It shows MMID #56 and #6255 at Sabillasville.  The seller also has a slide of #6255 sitting in yard dated 1-12-85.  I believe it is coupled to #56 as well

I gotta say that photo must have had some great sounds!!!!! To bad it's not a video.  :(

Jon