Author Topic: Body Mounting Tank Cars  (Read 6276 times)

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +153
Re: Body Mounting Tank Cars
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 12:51:39 PM »
On page 3 check a post by nkalanaga https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=33879.msg391290;topicseen#msg391290  an excellent little tutorial on this very subject.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 05:06:06 PM by Spades »

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 01:26:48 PM »
Thanks for posting that Wyatt! Now all I need is to figure out how to use these on Intermountain 4750's and I will be 99.9% body mounted! I have seen these several times and never thought outside the box for other applications I could really begin to like this approach, although having the screw thread in from the top makes me hope for the best, cuz adjusting it later probably not going to happen!
Rick

If you are willing to hold off, I have a very good reason to believe that there's another product that hasn't been announced yet that would be better suited for converting an Intermountain 4750 than either the TW parts designed for the Atlas 90T hopper or PM Ortner RD hopper...

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 01:45:38 PM »

I believe Kisatchie posted here or on the Atlas forum about body mounting on Atlas corn syrup cars

I've never owned any Atlas corn syrup cars, so it wasn't me. I haven't a clue as to how to body mount couplers on most Atlas tank cars.

Hmm... I bet Kiz just
forgot about it...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 02:25:14 PM »
One other note — the FVM and Trainworx trucks have MTL-style bolsters, because the models when originally released were designed to use MTL trucks.  The FVM/TWX models compensate for the offset bolster hole properly. But the FVM/TWX trucks would position any other model exactly as MTL trucks would. So swapping in MTL-bolster-height-style trucks with an offset bolster hole also is an issue, when the coupler pocket can be snipped from the standard Atlas trucks and FVM wheels swapped in.

Speaking of which, it is almost impossible to find Atlas (or any other) 100T trucks at all. Best I could find was some Rapido equipped once on ebay for $4 a set. But add proper couplers and FVM wheels and that is a lot. I need conventional bolster 100T trucks to replace older equipment but there just isn't anything available.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 06:25:35 PM »
If you are willing to hold off, I have a very good reason to believe that there's another product that hasn't been announced yet that would be better suited for converting an Intermountain 4750 than either the TW parts designed for the Atlas 90T hopper or PM Ortner RD hopper...

This makes me happy! Keep us posted please @cjm413
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

milw156

• Crew
  • Respect: +215
    • Modutrak
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 10:33:22 PM »
+1

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 01:25:44 AM »
Daniel:  I noticed that a year or so ago, when I converted all of my grain cars to 100-ton trucks.  Several years before I bought ten pair of IM trucks, and they worked nicely.  Those were apparently the last ten ever produced, as I never found any more, and IM didn't answer emails asking about them.  I finally found some Atlas trucks, and they worked fine, but again, most dealers had to special order them, and then wait.  Fortunately Kiz sold a bunch at about the same time, so I ended up with a nice supply of the Atlas trucks.

Hopefully Atlas will rerun both them and the BLMA trucks soon.  I still need ONE pair of BLMA 100-ton for that MDC tank, which now has 70-ton.
N Kalanaga
Be well

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +138
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2016, 08:55:58 AM »
Hopefully Atlas will rerun both them and the BLMA trucks soon.  I still need ONE pair of BLMA 100-ton for that MDC tank, which now has 70-ton.

And the Hart ballast trucks. Seems to be a pent up demand for trucks.
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 02:38:52 PM »
+1
And the Hart ballast trucks. Seems to be a pent up demand for trucks.

Yeah, from at least couple of modelers - maybe even half a dozen. Lots of profits to be made.    :trollface: :D

In case someone didn't get it, this post is a tongue-in-cheek.
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2016, 01:35:35 AM »
Spades:  I missed it yesterday, but thank you for the good words!
N Kalanaga
Be well

cjm413

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2016, 10:59:35 AM »
This makes me happy! Keep us posted please @cjm413

To be clear, the alleged/hypothetical product that I had in mind wasn't intended to be a "conversion kit" for the IMRC 4750.

However, based on what I do know about it, it appears that it would be better suited for the IMRC 4750 than either of the Trainworx parts that were designed for the Atlas 90T hopper or PM Ortner Rapid Discharge where it may be worthwhile to hold off until it becomes an option to consider.

Sorry to be evasive, but I'd rather have the OK from the alleged/hypothetical manufacturer before I discuss any specifics of a product, that as far as I know, hasn't been formally announced.

If you don't want to wait that long, feel free to check in with Pat Sanders @ Trainworx to see if he has any recommendations for using any of his products  :D

cjm413

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2016, 03:42:51 PM »
Speaking of which, it is almost impossible to find Atlas (or any other) 100T trucks at all. Best I could find was some Rapido equipped once on ebay for $4 a set. But add proper couplers and FVM wheels and that is a lot. I need conventional bolster 100T trucks to replace older equipment but there just isn't anything available.

I ran across a preowned Atlas/Roco 40' PS-1 where some  :ashat: apparently replaced the original 50T Bettendorf trucks with Rapido couplers with Atlas 100T trucks with Accumate couplers...

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2016, 03:08:57 PM »
I'm in the gradual process of changing over to Z-scale couplers so I wonder how that is going to complicate the process? Probably have to design my own conversion kit.
James R. Will

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2016, 07:01:34 PM »
As an aside I just got an email from micro trains that their 100T trucks will be available starting may. Unknown if these have centered kingpin holes or not.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

cjm413

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2016, 11:13:53 PM »
As an aside I just got an email from micro trains that their 100T trucks will be available starting may. Unknown if these have centered kingpin holes or not.

Found a pic here:
http://www.spookshow.net/trucks/barbers2.html