Author Topic: A Problem with my Intermountain 70-Ton Bulkhead Flatcar  (Read 1462 times)

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
A Problem with my Intermountain 70-Ton Bulkhead Flatcar
« on: February 29, 2016, 02:45:30 PM »
I purchased an IM 70-ton bulkhead flatcar several months ago, and it has developed an annoying problem.  First, let me preface this by stating that this is a wonderful model.  I love this flatcar.  It's well detailed and finished.  However, rather than bolster pins, it has screws holding on the trucks, which have the annoying habit of coming loose and eventually striking the rails at turnouts.  I can't tighten the screws enough to stop this, because then the trucks won't turn freely.  Now, it would be one thing if this was a once-a-month problem, but at least one of the screws comes loose after just a handful of laps around the layout!

I'm wondering if Loctite would work, or if a drop of white glue or CA in the screw hole in the bolster would be sufficient.  Anyone else experience this problem?

Thanks,
DFF
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 05:56:58 PM by GaryHinshaw »

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
Re: A Problem with my Intermountain 70-Ton Bulkhead Flatcar
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 05:01:49 PM »
If this is similar in nature to the Athearn cars that used screws.  I just drilled larger diameter holes in both the trucks and the bolsters and then used MT bolster pins.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +127
    • IG
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 08:02:35 PM »
Well if you have someone that likes to paint their nails at home, I can suggest using nail polish, I have heard it works like loctite, but isn't as strong as the blue stuff....
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 02:02:29 AM »
+1
White glue should do the job.  If not, it at least won't damage the model, and if one does have to remove the trucks, the screws should come out easily.  Besides, it's cheap, and probably on hand.
N Kalanaga
Be well

drgw0579

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 08:48:39 PM »
Canopy Glue!   I am having problems with the standard plugs coming out in some of my older cars and Canopy glue works fine.  Plus its cheap.

Bill Kepner

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 07:01:21 PM »
+1
Thanks for the advice, fellas!  Last night, I put a dab of white glue in each bolster hole and reattached the trucks.  I let them dry overnight and am testing the car now.  It's been running on a loop for at least thirty minutes with no signs of trouble.  The problem seems to be fixed.  Yay!

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 07:06:51 PM »
Thanks for the advice, fellas!  Last night, I put a dab of white glue in each bolster hole and reattached the trucks.  I let them dry overnight and am testing the car now.  It's been running on a loop for at least thirty minutes with no signs of trouble.  The problem seems to be fixed.  Yay!

White glue comes through again!

Hmm... I prefer white
glue to green glue...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 12:32:04 AM »
I've been using white glue for this for over 40 years.  Another method is to squeeze the bolster end of the pin in a pair of pliers.  Once it's flattened a little it fits a lot tighter.  That works for the older models, but I haven't tried it with any of the newer pins, so don't know if they'll work the same.  It's also easy to overdo it, so the glue is my first option.  If you get a hard or brittle plastic the pin can break, and I have no idea where you'd get replacements for many of the makers.  Atlas and KD/MT always sold spare pins.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 12:42:28 AM »
I had a problem with mine - I got a B&O one and it came with the wrong trucks. :o

The model came with roller bearing trucks but the B&O proto came with friction bearing trucks.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bo/bo-fb8844ago.jpg

IMR has promised to send me friction bearing trucks as soon as they get some in.

Mark

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 11:44:29 AM »
Mark, you can use BLMA's ASF A-3 friction-bearing trucks as a replacement.  The bolsters require a minor modification for the trucks to work.  I don't remember offhand what had to be done, but there was a lengthy thread here when the cars were released.  I think @Chris333 documented the procedure.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 02:12:03 PM »
Yes if I recall. I drilled a bolster pin and used a screw through it to mount the BLMA trucks.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 02:15:51 PM »
Mark, you can use BLMA's ASF A-3 friction-bearing trucks as a replacement.  The bolsters require a minor mod ...

Good to know but until Atlas restocks these they are unobtainium.

Will be interesting to see IMRC will supply the trucks before Atlas restocks the BLMA.

Mark