Author Topic: Wiking VW cargo vans at MBK  (Read 1954 times)

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
Wiking VW cargo vans at MBK
« on: November 14, 2018, 09:58:15 AM »
Just picked up one of these as I really like the old VW stuff, are these Wiking vehicles pretty good? Anybody have any?

https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/wiking-n-4006190932011-volkswagen-t1-cargo-van-light-blue-white/
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 09:20:38 AM by GaryHinshaw »

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +528
Re: Wiking VW cargo vans at MBK
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 07:30:17 AM »
The models are decent but I'm not sure whats up with the nobby tires (older runs have "normal" tires).

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4521
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 06:18:28 PM »
The models are decent but I'm not sure whats up with the nobby tires (older runs have "normal" tires).

I agree that tires are a bit odd (but probably could be found on some 1:1 VW bus out there).  However I would prefer "normal" tires.

Wiking used to make really nice models with thin body shells and very fine engraving.  But they were also very basic. Usually 3 parts: shell molded in color plastic (unpainted), sold block of "glass", and then the undercarriage/wheels/bumpers, usually molded in silver.  They were designed and manufactured in Germany. Some of the more recent models still have thin body shells, and also have much more detail, and are painted with Tampo-printed details like headlights and tailights.  But then some of the new models (like this VW van) seem not to be made to the same standards - the body seems to have much thicker walls, with thick pillars and glass inset deeper into the body.  Not quite up to Wiking's earlier standards IMO.

Then there is the price. Today's N scale models seem to be priced extremely high.  Twelve bucks (and that is discounted price) for a a single vehicle (likely made in China)?!  Maybe I'm stuck in the 1980s?  :|
. . . 42 . . .

unittrain

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 08:08:56 PM »
Yeah the prices are getting quite steep, and add diminished quality. The details are definitely thick too, but I figured I'd get one as I like the VW buses.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 08:51:16 PM »
Yeah the prices are getting quite steep, and add diminished quality. The details are definitely thick too, but I figured I'd get one as I like the VW buses.

Do you already own the earlier Wiking varsion, and also the Hobbytrain ones (2nd generation with single windshield)?
. . . 42 . . .

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 09:42:39 PM »
My examples of the "new" Wiking VW T1 bus and van arrived yesterday, so I thought some comparison photos might be in order.

First, we have the Wiking VW T1 bus with the older Wiking VW T2 bus (released originally in 1969, although this particular T2 was in the 5th release, which was in 1981-82).

Next, we have the Wiking VW T1 van (or panel) with a more recent Lemke VW T2 van (or panel).

When I was inspecting the tires on the Wiking T1, I was surprised to see the detail on the chassis.  Here is a chassis view of the Wiking T1 bus with the original Wiking T2 bus.

And finally, here is a chassis view of the Wiking T1 van with the Lemke T2 van.

I am not sure if the military style knobby tires are all that much of a distraction under normal viewing conditions.  However, I do prefer the Lemke wheels and tires to those on the "new" Wiking offering.  I have not tried to see if the axles from the Lemke model are interchangeable with the axles from the "new" Wiking model.  It sure looks like they could be.
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 11:53:06 PM »
The heavy-tread tires are IMO big distraction. But as you mentioned, that is an easy fix. However, the heavy window pillars and deeply inset "glass" is not so easily fixed (unless one wants to use Microstcale Krystal Klear which also does not look very realistic).  And paying $20 for a model which needs so much work is not very enticing.

I'm very disappointed that the current model has such a thick body when they were able to mold the bodies much thinner almost half a century ago!!  Your photos clearly demonstrate the difference.

And since Carter posted photos of other VW buses, here is a comparison between the Hobbytrain 1:160 bus and one of the 1:148 Oxford models.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 01:57:21 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1245
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 06:20:43 AM »
Don't forget that Reitze and Arnold both produced the T1. Makes me wonder why Wiking bothered with it in the first place. The smiled once it's decent, arguably better than the Wiking model:
http://spur-n.com/fahrzeug19/arnold0660a.jpg

And the Rietze models are actually quite good, especially considering they cost only $6 for a two pack:
http://www.roundhouse.ch/Grafik/Rietze_Auto/Rietze_16102.jpg

The wheels appear to be from the Land Rover, which was also a major misfire compared to the Busch model.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

unittrain

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 07:07:34 AM »
Where do you get the Reitze ones at? Direct or eBay? Thanks I don't notice the tires under normal viewing but still close ups on the Wiking look bad and I do a lot of close up photography of the layout scenes.

cfritschle

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 09:42:58 AM »
Where do you get the Reitze ones at? Direct or eBay? Thanks I don't notice the tires under normal viewing but still close ups on the Wiking look bad and I do a lot of close up photography of the layout scenes.

DM-Toys is generally a good source for Rietze models, but they don't appear to have the T1 buses and vans currently in stock.  https://www.en.dm-toys.de/liste/kategorie_en/fahrzeuge_en/hersteller/Rietze.html

The Rietze T1 is the earliest version that was imported into the US.  Photos of them are available here:  http://nscalevehicles.org/resources/era_1950-1959.php

The Wiking models represent the "face lift" version of the T1, and Marks also made them as painted metal castings, as shown here:  http://nscalevehicles.org/resources/era_1960-1969.php

I always thought the proportions of the Arnold Volkswagens were a little off.  They had a sort of "squished" look to them.  However, they don't look that bad in the photo in the link Daniel posted.  Maybe Arnold upqraded the tooling after they were initially released in the 1960s.
Carter

cfritschle

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 09:36:43 AM »
Daniel mentioned the similarity between the Wiking Land Rover wheels and tires and the Wiking T1 wheels and tires.  This photo shows the wheels and tires are similar, but they are not the same tooling.

Moving on to a comparison of old and new tooling, the initial release of the Wiking VW T5 Multivan (passenger version) was February of 2010.  This model followed the VW Tiguan SUV and Passat wagon that were released in October and December of 2009 respectively.  These models represented a new approach for Wiking in the release of "light duty" vehicles.  Instead of multi-packs of three or four vehicles, all three of these models were released as singles, with pad printed details.  While they were not the "highest" state of the art at that time, they were close to it.

Here is a comparison photo of the Wiking T1 van with the Wiking T5 van.

Next is a comparison photo of the Wiking T1 bus with the Wiking T5 Multivan.

The boxes for all of these models have "Made in China" on them.  I have no idea why the current tooling is not as refined as the tooling from nine years ago.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 09:39:26 AM by cfritschle »
Carter

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 01:34:02 PM »

The boxes for all of these models have "Made in China" on them.  I have no idea why the current tooling is not as refined as the tooling from nine years ago.

Yes, that is puzzling why the freshly tooled model has been executed so poorly compared to other earlier efforts (and not only from few years ago but, like I mentioned in my past post, even the almost fifty year old tooling is done better than this one).
. . . 42 . . .