Author Topic: Weekend Update 3/6/16  (Read 9032 times)

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
Re: Weekend Update 3/6/16
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2016, 02:49:07 AM »
@LIRR

Here's one of the Bob Graham photos I mentioned (reposting here with permission).

Smoke signals IV - and also a view of why I started coming to the hills of Eastern Kentucky in the fall - is this view of a true rarity, L&N C420 1319. Built as Monon 502 as 1 of 2 steam generator equipped C420's for Monon passenger service, they were sisters in kind with Long Island RR hi-nose passenger service C420's and cousins to N&W's small fleet of high short hood freight service C420's. I spied L&N 1319 on the Loyall KY ready track this fine October 21 1978 morning parked in a bad spot. So, I went into the roundhouse to inquire whether it could be moved. Sure, was the friendly reply from the hostler, who promptly went out to 1319 and asked where I'd like it. I pointed out the spot and brakes hissed, 12-251 throttled up and 1319 glided to "the spot". The hostler then came out and asked if I'd like to see her smoke. Well, of course I would  :D
Boy, do I miss those friendly L&N people and no-hassle terminals. Yes, we knew how good we had it, but it just wasn't possible to get it all - but i sure tried.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2016, 09:15:08 AM »
Change is afoot on the Mount Rainier Division. Of the BRS:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=30300.msg465862#msg465862
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

The Beer Baron

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • The Inverness and Richmond Railway
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2016, 10:59:56 AM »
Was able to move on one of my ongoing projects.

Those express trucks look good. Where are they from?
Drew
Chief Operations Officer
The Inverness and Richmond Railway

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2016, 11:09:38 AM »
Those express trucks look good. Where are they from?

Athearn milk car.

Jason

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2016, 12:12:46 PM »
Playing some more in developing a protolanced railroad for when a basement comes along.  Whipped up two box cars today in the spare time I had.  Need to do some versions of the slogan for variety's sake but you get the gist...

I like the top one more too.
I think the reporting marks and road number need to be larger though.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +891
    • My blog
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2016, 12:31:18 PM »
Playing some more in developing a protolanced railroad for when a basement comes along.  Whipped up two box cars today in the spare time I had.  Need to do some versions of the slogan for variety's sake but you get the gist...

I prefer the the top one, but would put the slogan on one line

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2016, 12:47:43 PM »
+1
I never post on the work I'm doing on my chassis so I thought I might do one.  Give some idea of what I'm up to.  :)  Especially as I get closer to something ready for prime time. 8)

Spent time at the shop programming and running 60 worms for a twenty-five piece prototype run of the mine loco. Ran excellent. Took two pieces to get the worm dialed in to the final dimension. Three wire measurement of the pitch line holding one tenth. The first two were within spec but the first was about two tenths over then the second was one tenth under the target. Even both of those were well within spec but it's nice to have a machine that holds a tenth all day. Then it was 60 pieces ALL within one tenth. BTW, a tenth is one tenth of one thousandth or .0001". Here are some pics for the extra curious machine lovers. It's REALLY nice to have access to some REALLY nice machines.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 12:51:20 PM by narrowminded »
Mark G.

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2016, 01:52:32 PM »
Looks like a happy steamer :-)

Continued progress om the LIRR G5s class #39...

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2427
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2016, 02:38:53 PM »
+1
Getting the train area together in new townhouse. Also another metamorphosis. Now BNSF Columbia
River Sub. Wenatchee on the A side and line towards Quincy on the B side.

Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

Hamaker

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2016, 02:45:35 PM »
Good to see the update, Chuck.
I started with nothing and still have most of it left.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2016, 03:47:30 PM »
Installed the passing siding on the Rio Grande Southern today.  It's been unusually warm here on the plains while the mountains have been getting snow.

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2016, 04:36:12 PM »
This one's for the carpenters out there.  I am building an AMB Rooming House. 
This is the one AMB kit I've built of many that required pretty extensive modification. 
Every one of the windows required trimming to fit in the frames.  It's not as if the windows aren't a pain in the a$$ already.
I substituted 3 Tab asphalt shingles instead of the supplied rolled felt. 
I also changed the stairway from the ground level to the 2nd floor.
As built, it would go from the top to the bottom on one long flight along the end wall from front to rear.  This didn't seem plausible to me in the 1960's.  I thought the stairway should begin closer to the front, commissary/lobby area.
That is the genesis of my question...I built a landing and new railings at the end of the landing that match the height of the OEM railing and built the inclined railing from styrene to match the pitch of the OEM railing, but as can be seen in my photos, the diagonal railing at it's top is higher than the railing at the back/bottom of the landing.

This kind of crap bothers me.  How should I address this?

The railing for the upper flight of steps does not extend to the bottom step.   And if you extend the upper railing to the bottom you are going to have a really narrow landing.
Good luck re-engineering the whole thing.
Regards,
Paul

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2016, 05:56:33 PM »
The railing for the upper flight of steps does not extend to the bottom step.   And if you extend the upper railing to the bottom you are going to have a really narrow landing.
Good luck re-engineering the whole thing.

Paul pointed out the upper flight railing doesn't go all of the way down its flight, so maybe that's your solution - shorten your new railing so it doesn't go all of the way up?  Stop it at the point where it would be at the same height as landing rail, and carry the landing's side rail from yours to the back to meet?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2016, 08:32:41 PM »
I never post on the work I'm doing on my chassis so I thought I might do one.  Give some idea of what I'm up to.  :)  Especially as I get closer to something ready for prime time. 8)

Spent time at the shop programming and running 60 worms for a twenty-five piece prototype run of the mine loco. Ran excellent. Took two pieces to get the worm dialed in to the final dimension. Three wire measurement of the pitch line holding one tenth. The first two were within spec but the first was about two tenths over then the second was one tenth under the target. Even both of those were well within spec but it's nice to have a machine that holds a tenth all day. Then it was 60 pieces ALL within one tenth. BTW, a tenth is one tenth of one thousandth or .0001". Here are some pics for the extra curious machine lovers. It's REALLY nice to have access to some REALLY nice machines.

I didn't even know stuff like that was possible. That might be the coolest tech I have ever seen.

Craig

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2016, 10:15:41 PM »
+2
Almost done with LIRR #39!