Author Topic: Who has procedure for putting DCC in lifeLike FA 1s?  (Read 1428 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
Who has procedure for putting DCC in lifeLike FA 1s?
« on: February 19, 2016, 01:27:29 AM »
I assume there's a clearinghouse-type website by  somebody (maybe the decoder makers?) that would list every loco ever made in N and have DCC installation instructions for some of the more popular older ones.

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +144

OldEastRR

• Crew
Re: Who has procedure for putting DCC in lifeLike FA 1s?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 01:59:36 AM »
TCS does .http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/N_Scale/N_Search/search.html

That installation is for the old plastic frame/blob weights FA. I need one for the metal split chassis version. Certainly somebody somewhere has done it? :?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4590
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 09:08:14 AM »
Well, if someone has done that install and sees you plea, they will most likely reply.  :)
. . . 42 . . .

djconway

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 10:03:55 AM »
Don't know if I've done a FA1, but, the procedure should be much the same.
0 - Disassemble the loco, take photos as you go if this is your first venture into one of these beasts. (should be obvious but...)
1 - Remove the portion of the right rear frame that fits over the left frame. To open up room for the decoder (I used a DZ123 & DZ121 & DZ125 in a FA2, C liner, E8 & ?  but the new DZ126T looks like a better option.)
2 - Cut the tracings on the light board between the contact pad and the resistor/led.
3 - Optional file a 45degree bevel on the edge of the frame to allow more room for wires over the motor.
4 - Carefully remove the brush caps from the motor, I found that pulling these off with the motor in a plastic bag keeps the spring & brush from going into orbit.
5 - Solder the orange and gray wires to the caps and reinstall brush-spring-cap.
6 - Solder the red and black wires to the contact pads on the front light board (no rear board on the cab units)
7 - Solder the blue and white wires to the front light board.

I will try to get photos of one of my units tonight.  This is a fairly "easy" hard wire installation no special tools needed (soldering iron,  hacksaw, and mill file)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 10:07:51 AM by djconway »

trainforfun

• Crew
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 04:30:14 PM »
I did one but sent the frames to Aztec for the milling part , used a wired DZ125 decoder .
Did the same as DJConway explained .
Thanks ,
Louis

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 06:44:52 PM »
Ahh I see the difference . Look at the C-Liner install . I did a couple of these and they are fairly easy . I did wire the red/black wires direct to the pick-up sliders and cut a slot on the outside of the weights for the wires . The DZ125 fits in the nose , and the wires fit in between the frame halves going to the motor contacts .  The FA 1 should be very similar .

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 01:35:00 AM »
Thanks guys. Now the old ConCor PA may be a problem .....

djconway

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 04:26:48 PM »
With the Kato and BLI PA's I haven't touched my Con-Cor PA's, don't know that I will they are pushing 40 if not more.