Author Topic: Backdrop material suggestions wanted  (Read 3819 times)

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
Re: Backdrop material suggestions wanted
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2016, 11:29:49 AM »
I skipped Masonite, even the 1/8th inch thick version, after trying to bend it.

I wound up going with vinyl flooring panels from Lowes. They come in ugly colors in 4x8 sheets, and Lowes was happy to cut them into 12 and 16 inch wide strips for me.

I notched them around upper deck support struts and arms with a sharp utility knife or my jig saw and was very pleased.

Instead of blending seams with spackle or joint compound, I used a glue for floor boards that holds instantly but allows about 30 minutes working time, and glued curved thin vinyl flashing into the corners to cove each one with a minimum of fuss. MHR had an article about this back in 2010 I believe.
Peter Pfotenhauer

jmarley76

• Crew
  • Respect: +132
    • WNCRails
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 01:07:42 PM »
Just curious for those who like the vinyl - is it strong enough to use free standing or with just a few supports, or do you directly attach it to the wall?

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2016, 04:52:04 PM »
Just curious for those who like the vinyl - is it strong enough to use free standing or with just a few supports, or do you directly attach it to the wall?

I tried that. Thee flashing was so flimsy, it stretches a bit and sags and waves between supports.
Peter Pfotenhauer

jmarley76

• Crew
  • Respect: +132
    • WNCRails
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 10:12:51 PM »
so the reason I am asking is I wonder how difficult it would be to do a hybrid of both masonite and the vinyl to create nice rounded corners while also avoiding any hard labor to hide seems...  :?

Sounds like a weekend experiment in the making...