Author Topic: What Size Wire Do I Need for a Unitrack N Scale Layout  (Read 1120 times)

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
What Size Wire Do I Need for a Unitrack N Scale Layout
« on: February 27, 2016, 04:00:40 PM »
I'm getting close to setting up a layout, but I was wondering what size wire I should use.

Is 16 gauge wire sufficient? Do I need a bus for my 10' x 9' layout, or is connecting the power to the layout in 4 or five places using Kato's feeder tracks okay? If I need a bus, what size wire for that? How often should I install leads to the track?

Thanks for any help.

Hmm... I gotta go... Kiz
just got a serious static
electric shock...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
Re: What Size Wire Do I Need for a Unitrack N Scale Layout
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 06:12:00 PM »
For feeders 18 to 20 gauge is sufficient for the bus 12 to 16 is good. 12 or 14 is good for dcc, as far as whether you need the feeders and bus wires with unitrack I'm not sure but I know with sectional and flex track it is defiantly recommended as rail joiners are not bullet proof when it comes to conveying current throughout the track system.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 06:15:44 PM by unittrain »

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 11:38:22 PM »
I use 14AWG for my bus, and 24 AWG for my feeders, on my 7x14.5 around the room Unitrack layout. I drop feeders from each piece of track, where practical.
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

Viperjim1

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 08:27:57 AM »
I've just dropped feeder connections at about 4 places around my layout and switch between cd and dcc and have had no issues with power loss or voltage drop or decoder issues using Kato track and rail joiners .

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 10:00:56 AM »
How often you drop feeders on Unitrack depends on how long you expect the track to stay in one place.  If you assemble/disassemble your track regularly, then the wiping action will keep the Unijoiners conductive longer.  Once you let them sit for months/years then they can start to build up oxidation that may cause voltage loss.  So if you plan on not changing things for a while, you should put more feeders.  Otherwise at some point you will start to have problems and then need to add feeders.  If you have progressed to scenery, then it naturally gets harder to do.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

powersteamguy1790

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 02:47:54 PM »
Kis:

I use 14 gauge solid copper wire for the bus lines and 20 gauge wire for the feeders.  I solder feeders to each section of Unitrack, For switches I solder three pair of feeders to each arm of the switch. For crossovers I use four pair of feeders, one set of feeders for each arm of the crossover.

Have fun with it...... 8) 8)