Author Topic: DESIGN MASTER SPRAY PAINT  (Read 535 times)

h2w

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
DESIGN MASTER SPRAY PAINT
« on: February 21, 2016, 06:18:25 PM »
I have been looking for a good match for BM blue in a spray can and i came across DEsign Master  Larkspur Blue, i wanted it in flat they had it in satin, so my question is, is satin ok for water slide decals and can a spray a flat clear coat over it to dull it down?
Thank You
Mark

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +30
Re: DESIGN MASTER SPRAY PAINT
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 02:22:00 AM »
You want a gloss clear coat to apply decals too, not flat. After decals, you should apply flat coat to dull the finish and hide the decal film

h2w

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 11:44:44 AM »
so after painting I should spray the whole car with a gloss coat, put the decals on then spray a flat finnish, of course waiting out the dry time before each step? Thank You

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2005
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 12:55:03 PM »
Diddfrent modelers swear that their decal application methods works the best. some swear that they don't have problems with decals applied over flat paint.

The general consensus  thous is that applying decals over glossy paint is most trouble free.  I can also add that using semigloss or satin finish paints for a base layer also gives good results.  But not over flat paints.

I would say to try applying the decal directly over the satin finish paint and see how they look. If they are fine then you won.t need to spray gloss before decaling. That saves you a step and a layer of paint over the model.  But you should always seal the decal with some sort fo clear lacquer as the final coat.  It doesn't have to be flat. It can be gloss or semigloss. Flat however is best for making the decal blend onto the paint surface.

If for example you are modeling a locomotive fresh out of the paint shop then you would use semigloss as the final seal coat.

I'm sure not everybody will agree with this, but that is how I would do it.  Also don't forget to use decal setting solutions. 
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"