Author Topic: N3N Sources  (Read 1586 times)

der5997

• Respect: 0
Re: N3N Sources
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 03:25:19 PM »
M.C. Fujiwara: It seems to me, from what I've seen so far, that I'll probably end up bashing a freight wagon of some kind (UK prototype?) into a roofed flat with bench seats and safety sides. I've joined Shapeways and may find what I'm after somewhere in their lists. In any case they seem to be the folks for N3N trucks., even if I have to scratch the cars myself. I'm cool with that except I'm not confident of getting the fine paint line detail such cars deserve. V. narrow strips of coloured decal perhaps?

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 03:45:13 PM »
Another forum you might want to check out is the Nn3 group on Yahoo: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/nn3/info
James R. Will

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 04:27:48 PM »
Peteski:  I would think you are correct about the controller being battery powered. The only "on board" power I've used before was Hornby O - clockwork from the late 1940s! I can't imagine how one would work the on - off switch in Z! I haven't seen the Marklin loco. I'm just bouncing off the description in a .pdf file posted in reply to my question on this theme in a nScale.net Forum; viz and to wit
As far as battery operated Z scale locomotives go, was the battery contained inside the tiny model?  If yes, how was the model controlled?

Marklin Z 0-6-0 Starter Set (5 pole?) NA 81524 $ - ? $75-$100 Battery Op. 1 car incl.

I haven't yet Googled Marklin Model 81524, but obviously should  :facepalm:

Thanks for your help.

I suspected that a battery (rechargeable or even non-rechargeable) on-board a Z scale loco was too good to be true. Not only the battery technology is not quite there for the energy density and size needed for Z scale, but the loco would have to have some sort of remote control to be able to be operated (more space needed in the tiny model).

Yes, the starter set with the 0-6-0 loco does include a controller (variable voltage throttle) which uses standard batteries as a power source.  Several Z scale throttles use batteries as their power source.

The newer 0-6-0s use 5-pole motors. I have a vintage one with a 3-pole motor.
. . . 42 . . .